Joey Barton....Get the popcorn, the fun & games have just begun.

Someone posted a bit on another forum...

Talking about Xabi Alonso and how he hacked him down deliberately because he "stole his move to Liverpool"...

‘Had things panned out differently, I could have made the obsessive debate about the mutual suitability of the Gerrard-Lampard axis redundant,’ Barton writes. ‘From what I gathered, Steven Gerrard agitated to get Liverpool to sign me in 2004, because he felt we had the potential to forge a partnership.

‘I met with Gerard Houllier at Melwood, and agreed everything verbally.

‘A deal was close to being concluded but then he was sacked that summer. It was never revived.

When talking about the tackle...

‘Xabi and I had history. He blamed me for knocking him out in what he thought was a deliberate clash of heads in one of our earliest contests, and I blamed him for stealing my move to Liverpool.

‘All that remained to be agreed with City was the fee, when Rafa Benitez took over from Gerard Houllier. I was in Dubai when I was informed that he had instead decided to sign a kid from Real Sociedad who had just broken into the Spanish national team.

‘That turned out to be £10.7m well spent. Xabi is one hell of a player, whose passes have a great range and accuracy.

‘Whenever we played, I sought to get the game on my terms, which were relentlessly physical.

‘(In 2009) Thirteen minutes remained. Liverpool were two up, cruising and playing keep ball. The Kop conducted an incessant, infuriating chant of ‘Ole, ole, ole!’

‘Xabi retained the ball near the corner flag fractionally longer than was prudent. That gave me the opportunity to fly in, and disguise my malicious intent as best as I could. Alonso milked the moment with a barrel roll. I expected a yellow and was shown a red.

Most of the time you'd assume a ghostwriter was responsible, but the way parts of it are written just screams him sitting there with a smug expression on his face, congratulating himself on how clever he's being.  

Of course that's not the saddest part.  That's the revelation that he believes he genuinely has beef with Alonso.  That'll be the guy who went from Liverpool to Real Madrid and then Bayern Munich, as opposed to Joey Barton who went to Newcastle, QPR, Marseille (briefly), Burnley and then the team that decided he was too much trouble even for them.

We're all truly lucky to have him, aren't we? :rolleyes:

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 12:31, WullieBroonIsGod said:

And arrogant enough to think it won't happen to them too probably.

Just seems crazy that Barton could give Rangers some rope to hang him here though

Are they going to tie his hands behind his back and put a Rangers scarf round his neck, too?

He ain't going anywhere *

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37444113

Rangers: Joey Barton tells fans he is 'not going anywhere'

• 18 minutes ago
  • From the sectionFootball
Sharethis page
Joey Barton (left) and Rangers manager Mark Warburton
Joey Barton (left) was suspended by Rangers manager Mark Warburton following a training ground incident

Joey Barton has told Rangers fans he "can't wait" to get back playing for the Ibrox side despite his club ban.

The English midfielder has been suspended by manager Mark Warburton for three weeks following a training ground incident.

However, Barton, responding to fans on Twitter, has pledged that he is "not going anywhere".

He wrote: "Can't wait to get back and show what (I) am about. Came to be successful. Nothing's changed."

In another tweet to the same fan he reiterated his desire to stay at Ibrox.

"Not going anywhere, happy to be judged after the season," he continued. "Played eight games. Had to use some for fitness as had no pre season."

And to another fan he said: "Never ran from a challenge in my life Amy. Not about to start now."

He also backed Rangers to bounce back from their disappointing start to the Scottish Premiership season, with just nine points from six games leaving them already four points behind champions Celtic, having played one game more.

Barton was heavily criticised for his performance in the 5-1 defeat to Celtic.

"People far too quick to write (us) off," he said. "Celtic game was [Barton's own] first competitive loss since 28th Dec 2015, that includes training. Thirty plus games."

* That is of course subject to a suitable payoff being agreed LoL

Hopefully Barton in his admission  "As someone who communicates directly I accept that some of the things I said were inappropriate and for that I apologise unreservedly " sets him up for his exit. With any luck he also invited Andy Halliday or Warburton outside to discuss things with their fists.

Given his "previous" (cigar stubbed in colleague's eye, medically confirmed anger management issues, his series of assaults not all of which ended up in court, charges incl criminal damage, West Ham not signing him because the players said no) Rangers would have every justification in getting rid of him because of their legal 'duty of care' to their other employees. In other words if Barton is in the same room as any other Rangers employee then they are at potential risk of being assaulted without warning or reason. And from his history his assaults can be life threatening. The more damage he causes people the prouder he becomes.

If Rangers hang on to him and at any time in the future he assaults a team mate or any other Rangers employee with the club knowing the risks involved, the club will be liable financially and legally. Very very messy and costly.

Just to be clear why he didn't go to the US on the pre season tour. Media commitments is bollocks. The US would not have allowed him in because of his criminal past. So tell us the truth Joseph.

1 hour ago, thelegendthatis said:

Should Joseph Barton not just shut up for the next three weeks? 

Or is the "I will be back" drivel part of his tactics to show his commitment to the cause, while he calculates what his pay off will be? Or as the Rangers dressing room is saying "Just shut up and feck off".

The "Bartonator?" will be returning to finish off what he began, hopefully it means bad things for the newco. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Surely all he has to do is deny it and, when the SFA present the bookies' evidence, report both to the Information Commissioner's Office.

On another site, I saw the following (in connection with a different player):

The Scottish FA has a memorandum of understanding with the Association of British Bookmakers allowing it to see players' accounts, which is believed to have revealed the extent of his alleged gambling.

I suspect most active/current footballers would just take it on the chin for the sake of their ongoing careers but, for a player at the end of his career with a fair amount in the bank and so with nothing much to lose, I wonder what would happen if Barton were to challenge the source of this information.  I don't believe Joey would have ticked the box allowing the bookie to 'share your details with our partners'.

Presumably it's written into the standardised portion of player contracts in Scotland that one of the conditions for signing with their club and being registered with the SFA is this area?

Or terms of a betting account may allow bookmakers to share information with third parties when relevant?

I'd be surprised if it wasn't covered somehow.

It was the same when SFL announced they would share information with HMRC to discover when clubs were failing to pay tax.

Promptly along came "you can't do that - data protection" but they just included a waiver as one of their conditions of membership.

Despite the possible shadiness of how they get the information, and the relative ridiculousness of the rule itself, you can't really have any sympathy.  Even if you disagree with the rule, it sounds like it's hammered into players that they can't do it.  If you then go ahead and do it anyway, then you deserve everything you get, as it shows either an arrogance that you won't get caught or a crushing stupidity.  Probably a bit of both.

Archived