Valencia

Peppino Impastato

4 hours ago, Dink said:

Manolo's bar is well worth visiting. Basically a football museum in a pub, and Manolo himself is extremely helpful and welcoming.

I was outside the mestella in mid January hoping to catch televised footy before heading off to the levante game,his bar was closed and,even worse,there was a "for sale" sign displayed over the door:(

Think me and my girlfriend are going to Valencia for a few days in the summer after going to Madrid (which is why I've bumped both threads). Probably staying at a place near the arts and science thing near the sea. Is that reasonably close to the city centre?

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Think me and my girlfriend are going to Valencia for a few days in the summer after going to Madrid (which is why I've bumped both threads). Probably staying at a place near the arts and science thing near the sea. Is that reasonably close to the city centre?

I'd stay in the centre if I was you. It's not miles away but it's all a bit big roads and anonymous new builds. The nearby docks are ugly and industrial, not your quaint fishing port at all. I'd imagine people stay at the hotels round there for conventions or work. Worth visiting the science thing though, spectacular quirky architecture that the Spaniards are fond of.  

Edited by welshbairn

On 03/03/2019 at 10:35, G_Man1985 said:
On 01/03/2019 at 20:43, welshbairn said:
Hope that was all helpful. Took ages to gather my notes together. Not really, all I remember is avoid the Docks area, it's a bit shit. Hope you had a good day.

Dont go until end of May , like to plan ahead

I went around the end of May 2 years ago and it was fantastic. Great food, History, modern parts, old parts. I found it quite cheap aswell. The beach was pretty much empty and clean. Too cold for the Valencienes but hot enough for pale Scots. 

I was outside the mestella in mid January hoping to catch televised footy before heading off to the levante game,his bar was closed and,even worse,there was a "for sale" sign displayed over the door[emoji20]
Ahhh, that's sad news. When we were visiting (for the Scotland game which was curtailed by a power failure - 15 years ago I now realise) the bar was closed for the night but Manolo was still there. When he saw us piling out of a taxi he opened up the bar again, spent ages posing for photos and gave us his number in case we got in bother with the police (no idea what he thought we were going to get up to, or what he'd have done if we ever phoned).

6 hours ago, Dink said:
On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 21:26, highlandcowden said:
I was outside the mestella in mid January hoping to catch televised footy before heading off to the levante game,his bar was closed and,even worse,there was a "for sale" sign displayed over the dooremoji20.png

Ahhh, that's sad news. When we were visiting (for the Scotland game which was curtailed by a power failure - 15 years ago I now realise) the bar was closed for the night but Manolo was still there. When he saw us piling out of a taxi he opened up the bar again, spent ages posing for photos and gave us his number in case we got in bother with the police (no idea what he thought we were going to get up to, or what he'd have done if we ever phoned).

aye, served me a pint ,got a photo and seemed a friendly chap

I'd stay in the centre if I was you. It's not miles away but it's all a bit big roads and anonymous new builds. The nearby docks are ugly and industrial, not your quaint fishing port at all. I'd imagine people stay at the hotels round there for conventions or work. Worth visiting the science thing though, spectacular quirky architecture that the Spaniards are fond of.  
Made the distance point to my girlfriend but she wanted somewhere with a pool so we've ended up there anyway.

All booked now, looking forward to it as haven't been to proper Spain before, just beach resorts.

26 minutes ago, Stu said:

Made the distance point to my girlfriend but she wanted somewhere with a pool so we've ended up there anyway.

All booked now, looking forward to it as haven't been to proper Spain before, just beach resorts.

You'll be less than two miles away, and there are loads of buses and a tube system, and taxis won't cost much. Think you can walk through a park most of the way. I just stayed by the docks last time and it was a bit shit, but there was a decent beach and posh hotels nearby. You'll have a cracking time.

Edited by welshbairn

15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

You'll be less than two miles away, and there are loads of buses and a tube system, and taxis won't cost much. Think you can walk through a park most of the way. I just stayed by the docks last time and it was a bit shit, but there was a decent beach and posh hotels nearby. You'll have a cracking time.

Yeah, hope so. I've told her about the location and that what is nearby is not a marina so if she doesn't like it, it's her own fault (although it'll probably still be mine).

Tracked down the apartment I stayed in, next door to the Danish Consulate and across the road from a 5 star hotel which blocked off the sea view and the beach. It wasn't quite as bad as it looks, the terrace is actually quite big, and it was only about £15 a night for 4 bedrooms. :lol:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.4664073,-0.324998,3a,15y,265.4h,100.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spoVImowxZE6HuK8NiMtgpQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• 2 months later...
On 5/28/2019 at 12:14, G_Man1985 said:

So been for one day.
Probably missed loads. It's pretty place. Lots of cathedrals n that kind of stuff. Restaurant we went to was nice.
The Valencia stadium was teckle.
The fish place was unreal. Just incredible really
Maybe could of spent 1 more there.

Overall teckle

By the "fish place", do you mean the Oceanagrafica? If so, I agree. 

42 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Aye couldn't think of name Haha.
Just incredible really.

I was thinking you meant the fish market. Imagined you walking around with a scarf and fedora like a tv chef.