Valencia

Peppino Impastato

• 1 year later...

Not much in this...

Planning on heading to Valencia for 3/4 days in September, en route to meeting up with some family in Benidorm. Anyone care to add to this thread with recommendations? Particularly from a food and drink perspective, por favor.

23 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Not much in this...

Planning on heading to Valencia for 3/4 days in September, en route to meeting up with some family in Benidorm. Anyone care to add to this thread with recommendations? Particularly from a food and drink perspective, por favor.

Placa de la Reina is a pretty lively square, plenty of pubs and restaurants around this area.  Good nightclub (La Clacha) just off it as well, years since I've been but was always decent.  The Turia runs through the centre of Valencia, completely dried out riverbed and normally lots of little stalls and things to do, nice for a walk too.

The Mercado on Carrer Vell de la Palla is absolutely quality, just a massive indoor market that sells everything you could possibly need, some cracking food on offer as well.

Palau de les Arts Reina Sofia is good for a bit of culture if you're that way inclined.  

Lots of feral cats, more than I remember seeing anywhere else in Spain, seem to be all over the place.

Great city, would love to go back.  Any idea where you are staying?

1 minute ago, Adam said:

Placa de la Reina is a pretty lively square, plenty of pubs and restaurants around this area.  Good nightclub (La Clacha) just off it as well, years since I've been but was always decent.  The Turia runs through the centre of Valencia, completely dried out riverbed and normally lots of little stalls and things to do, nice for a walk too.

The Mercado on Carrer Vell de la Palla is absolutely quality, just a massive indoor market that sells everything you could possibly need, some cracking food on offer as well.

Palau de les Arts Reina Sofia is good for a bit of culture if you're that way inclined.  

Lots of feral cats, more than I remember seeing anywhere else in Spain, seem to be all over the place.

Great city, would love to go back.  Any idea where you are staying?

Haven't booked anything yet. As it stands I'm looking at flying in on the Friday night and staying there until the Tuesday, then heading to Benidorm for the rest of the week. Would 3 days be long enough to appreciate the place or would you recommend longer?

Nightclub is appreciated but probably unlikely to be where I am headed. Restaurants, bars and local culture is more likely what I'll be doing there. What areas would you recommend as far as accommodation goes? Not fussed if I book an apartment, hotel or hostel as long as the location is spot on.

27 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Haven't booked anything yet. As it stands I'm looking at flying in on the Friday night and staying there until the Tuesday, then heading to Benidorm for the rest of the week. Would 3 days be long enough to appreciate the place or would you recommend longer?

Nightclub is appreciated but probably unlikely to be where I am headed. Restaurants, bars and local culture is more likely what I'll be doing there. What areas would you recommend as far as accommodation goes? Not fussed if I book an apartment, hotel or hostel as long as the location is spot on.

No, three days would be more than enough to see the sights, it's quite a compact city.  Metro is very handy for getting about, you will likely use that a lot.

You can't really go wrong with Colon as an area for setting up base camp, handy for everything.  Beach is really nice as well, you can get the Metro out easy enough from Colon, good way to spend a few hours.

Valencia first came to our notice a couple of months ago when we saw it on a travel show.  It looks amazing and a bit like Barcelona which we love.

Determined to go there one day.

Not been to Valencia in a long time, but used to be there twice a year with work about 10 years ago and even then it was a cracking city. Walking the old river bed, which is a garden now is really nice, from the zoo down to the arts centre. The trams are also a good way to see the city and the beach is pretty good. I'm sure it's only got better and better through time and definitely a place I'd like to go back to one day.

I went a few years ago to see Motherwell- fantastic place, I'm sure you'll love it. Didn't do a lot of tourist stuff. Just liked walking around (old river bed to east of city centre is good) and the vibe of the place. The market near the centre is worth a wander round- bit different from what you can get here!

• 6 months later...

Absolutely loved Valencia when I was there in September and will definitely go back at some point. The old town, between the Placa Redona and the CCCC had some outstanding bars and restaurants. Would also recommend heading to the Mercat de Colon in the early afternoon for some scran.

Agua de Valencia is hit or miss depending on where you buy it. Some bars had it absolutely spot on and it was incredibly easy to drink, other places it was far too strong and even easier to drink. Next time I think I'll stick to the beer!

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

So got from 10am -7pm roughly in Valencia. Going to the football stadium. What else is a must to see ?

Hope that was all helpful. Took ages to gather my notes together. Not really, all I remember is avoid the Docks area, it's a bit shit. Hope you had a good day.

Edited by welshbairn

8 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

So got from 10am -7pm roughly in Valencia. Going to the football stadium. What else is a must to see ?

a wee wander through the old city is nice,good place to start is outside the railway station.nice views from the torres del serranos which is near to the mestella.

the turia gardens,the course of the old river,are worth a walk,leading down to the futuristic city of arts and sciences

the Valencia museum,near the zoo,is nice.the military museum,again near the mestella,is good

• 2 weeks later...