Venice

The Saintee

1 hour ago, The Saintee said:

Heading there in October just the missus and I.

Anybody been?

Recommend anything good or what to avoid?

Aye go and have a look around st marks square,take pictures etc etc but go 1 street back for food etc,its a rip off

Went with my wife in 2013, we were staying in Milan and took the train along to Venice.

Stayed one night.

There was lots of nice architecture in St Mark's square and we went on the on a Gondola ride which was also a good experience (romantic). 

Can't remember the name of the hotel but we went to Jack Nicholson's local when he stays in Venice. 

Good point above - best to look outside the centre for food and drink.

Overall though just found it a bit damp and there is a rather pungent aroma about the place.

We were all booked up to go in April then I got a bug and we had to cancel; pretty pissed off but hope to go next year.

We had booked to stay in Mestre, apparently 10 minutes on the train into the centre and better hotels.

The place looks incredible, enjoy.

Yeah, just wander and get lost. You'll find your way back to somewhere familiar eventually. Try to find a wee bar in a back street where you can grab some free nibbles (think tapas) and have a beer while mixing with locals. Go find the tragghetto across the Grand Canal and you can get the gondola experience without the cost (as long as you're OK standing up on a boat for a few minutes!).

Venice isn't that expensive, really. Don't believe the scare stories. I paid around 60 euros for a two course meal for my girlfriend and I with a couple of beers/wines at a restaurant right on the grand canal. At the time (last summer) that was about £40. You'd pay comfortably more than that at any Frankie & Bennies type place here.

There are literally hundreds of more expensive places in Europe.

It is a complete tourist town though so I guess you can pay as much as you like if you're daft with it.

Would echo the shouts to get on a boat heading out to Murano/Burano etc. They're great.

If the weather is good worth booking a water taxi ride in from the airport. Just the 2 of you in the boat and a fast trip in.  Gondola if you must do it is 80 Euros for 30 minutes but do not do in on the Grand Canal.  Ride about on water taxis all day and try and see Burano and Miurano islands.

Try and download the venice programme from Grand Canal journeys and watch it before you go for some ideas also Rick Stein in Venice.

Wanting to have about 2 weeks holiday in northern Italy next year, thinking maybe arriving in Milan then seeing Venice, Florence and maybe a couple of quieter places and ending up in Rome before flying back has anyone ever done a similar trip? Sorry to move the thread away from Venice a little but didn't think it required a separate thread.

Been to Italy lots, especially in the North

- Verona is lovely, and there's obviously the Lakes in that area too. Just south of Lake Garda is Valeggio sul Minco which is a beautiful little village on the river and home to a pasta festival and there is a botanical gardens at Parca Sigurta and a waterpark nearby too. There is also Mantua which is nice and has three lakes and an old city centre.

- in you're heading further west then Bergamo is worth looking around. There's an old town at top of a funicular railway and lots of nice old buildings. Loads of great restaurants there too but they serve polenta as the starch which I don't particularly enjoy. 

- in Tuscany, if you want an alternative to Florence and Pisa the there's Lucca or (if you have a car) Montecatini Terme. I'm sure you'll enjoy wherever you end up though.

3 hours ago, throbber said:

Wanting to have about 2 weeks holiday in northern Italy next year, thinking maybe arriving in Milan then seeing Venice, Florence and maybe a couple of quieter places and ending up in Rome before flying back has anyone ever done a similar trip? Sorry to move the thread away from Venice a little but didn't think it required a separate thread.

We flew to Venice, went to Cinque Terre (had hotel in La Spezia) then Florence and Rome. Travelled by train between destinations.

How long was that for? Sounds like a good trip, would probably like maybe 5 days in a quiet resort as too much travelling in a short holiday can be stressful and too much time in a city will be too expensive as we found out with our recent holiday!

• 6 months later...
19 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I'm going to Dimensions in August and probably travelling via Venice so gonna take a day overnight. First trip abroad in 9 years and first by myself so understandably anxious as I'm barbarically one tongued.

Are you taking the ferry from Venice?

14 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I haven't a clue! There's a four hour travel time from Venice to the festival site but it doesn't specify what the mode of transport is.

The bus is probably much cheaper but I'd take the ferry one way if it was me. I'd imagine approaching Venice from the sea would be quite spectacular.