Dumbarton V St Mirren

12 minutes ago, cedrick1 said:

The challenge on Naismith was a good old 50/50. No foul despite as per rest of game Mallon having a moan at the ref. 

Overall thought we deserved it although we need to work on our finishing . Bit disappointed with Todd and smith without saying either were rubbish. 

For saints Sutton was good but doesn't last the 90.

anyone I spoke to about hardie pre match . still think jury is out on him 

I thought Todd was good when he was played centrally - especially early on, but faded before being punted wide where he was fairly meh. Smith put in a good ball for the goal - and had the shot that injured Gallacher - but I didn't notice him much. Didn't get Stirling getting MOTM either, I think he's a good player but aside from the goal and winning a corner early in the 2nd half I don't remember him doing a lot else.

The decision that annoyed me the most was in the 1st half when Todd was played through but the ref called play back to give us a foul on the edge of the box. Criminal not using the advantage rule there.

As for Hardie and Sutton - there's no way they should be propping up the league. Sutton is a clever player and gets away with plenty of physical stuff, excellent in the air too. As for Hardie? Give him chances and he'll score plenty. He's been like that since I first saw him years ago for Rangers Reserves. Cracking goalscorer.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe Thomson was motm by a country mile today.

Despite everyone rating Stirling and despite his goal today I'm massively unconvinced. I can't quite put my finger on what it is but at times he looks utterly lost. I also noticed that Harvie was having to scream at him when it came to picking up a man, much like Docherty did when both were starting.

I'd have Smith, Stanton and Todd before him in the pecking order. I'd also have Fleming in for Thomson next week, with Stevo in the 'hole'.

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

As soon as I clocked the guy filming it was wearing St Mirren joggies and it was 38 mins long I chucked it.

I didn't even watch the start of it to be honest, just flicked right to the end. Truly delicious seethe. It should (assuming I've done it right) automatically start at the violent booing.

Yet another dreadful performance from us defensively.

Hard to believe Dumbarton only scored one, despite the many gifts they were presented.

Sons defence was pretty poor too, and we should have scored more - was sure Hutton's header in the first half was going in until it was cleared off the line.  Couple of decent chances late on too.

If there was to be a winner, only Dumbarton would have deserved it.

Cannot see where we go from here.

Could very easily end up after the first round of fixtures with only THREE points!

Yet another dreadful performance from us defensively.

Hard to believe Dumbarton only scored one, despite the many gifts they were presented.

Sons defence was pretty poor too, and we should have scored more - was sure Hutton's header in the first half was going in until it was cleared off the line.  Couple of decent chances late on too.

If there was to be a winner, only Dumbarton would have deserved it.

Cannot see where we go from here.

Could very easily end up after the first round of fixtures with only THREE points!

1474151207052.jpg.2fb79f9c01aace1a92edb0

GIRFUY.

1-1 was a fair result in what was a competitive game.

We started well and deserved to take the lead. Unfortunately when we went 1-0 up we looked like we became a bit complacent. St Mirren reacted well and put in a few dangerous crosses before getting the equaliser. I thought we were holding on a bit at 1-1 in the last few minutes of the first half and wouldn't have been surprised to see us go 2-1 down before the break.

2nd half was a more even affair. We looked more dangerous and kept it going for the whole 45 minutes. We were unlucky with a few half chances that seemed to get away from Thomson up front. He worked hard today but his finishing wasn't great. At the other end it was only a very good save from Martin that kept it level.

A draw was a fair reflection of the match. St Mirren did well to come back into the game after going a goal behind. Both teams had chances in the 2nd half. It wasnt always the prettiest but it was a really competitive game and was actually quite enjoyable to watch. 

Having seen the highlights I have literally no idea what happened once Thommo went round the 'keeper. There just seemed to be a crash between him, Mackenzie(?) and Irvine with limbs everywhere so I've no idea who was fouling who with what part of their body. Referee probably got it right to be fair to him.

How many good chances did he miss though?! Forgot about the double chance in the first few minutes. I know they say the best strikers miss the most chances, but they usually do hit more than 1 out of every 10!

That save from Aldo :wub:

Having seen the highlights I have literally no idea what happened once Thommo went round the 'keeper. There just seemed to be a crash between him, Mackenzie(?) and Irvine with limbs everywhere so I've no idea who was fouling who with what part of their body. Referee probably got it right to be fair to him.

How many good chances did he miss though?! Forgot about the double chance in the first few minutes. I know they say the best strikers miss the most chances, but they usually do hit more than 1 out of every 10!

That save from Aldo :wub:

Much like yesterday's result, I'm becoming frustrated with Thomson and his lack of composure.

It absolutely doesn't help that he's isolated up top but he really should be converting more chances than he does despite him playing relatively well.

Fleming back in next week please. Give Thomson a rest.

Much like yesterday's result, I'm becoming frustrated with Thomson and his lack of composure.

It absolutely doesn't help that he's isolated up top but he really should be converting more chances than he does despite him playing relatively well.

I agree but Garry isn't exactly clinical either

55 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Mentioned it to the guys round about me yesterday. He is a great all round player. But his finishing isn't up to the same standard as the rest of his game. His touch is sublime at times and he does well to bring others into play, hold the ball up and win his fair share in the air. 

That being said, if his finishing was a better he wouldn't be with us probably. Hoping he is a confidence player and once he starts scoring one or two he will go on a decent run of form.

I also feel Garry is a form player who is he is playing well is more likely to put away chances. But wouldn't be against giving him a chance next week.

Future Son...? 

Here is a video of my mates lad scoring a goal....

and yes they allow the coaches on the pitch. very annoying. especially the guy in my video. he was the opposing teams coach and he new nothing abut he game. our coach only got up when he really needed to. 

I agree with everything about Tommo but in terms of Garry. Been saying for three years that up top is not his best .

someone said that if no thommo we gave no other natural front man in squad. 

Up front or just behind the striker is his best position IMO. Whilst not being overly clinical he does get his fair share of goals and I thought we were absolutely crying out for him yesterday.

There was a myth on here for a while that he was better as a central midfielder but I think the league cup performances put that one to bed.

I wouldn't be against Thommo and Fleming starting together, with Fleming just in behind but I do feel Thomson could be doing with a rest.

Archived