Dumbarton V St Mirren

Well, this could be interesting. St Mirren have started horrifically whilst we have 1 win since the last time we played you lot back in April. We also haven't scored from open play since the 18th minute of the season.

I hope Stevie starts with a team that are prepared to attack St Mirren. We looked fairly toothless against Hibs (and Falkirk, and by all accounts Stranraer) and I still have nightmares about the game way back in February when he started with 6 defenders and no strikers.

We can win this one, despite St Mirren having far better players than their league position suggest, but I'm scared we might start all defensive again and take nothing. Also our aimless long balls in the vague direction of Berba isn't working. Keep Stevo a bit deeper, or even start with Todd upfront and Stanton on the wing.

Tom Walsh will definitely score, as will Ryan Hardie who loves a goal against us. Here's hoping we'll get plenty of penalties as they really look our only way of scoring....

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Well, this could be interesting. St Mirren have started horrifically whilst we have 1 win since the last time we played you lot back in April. We also haven't scored from open play since the 18th minute of the season.

I hope Stevie starts with a team that are prepared to attack St Mirren. We looked fairly toothless against Hibs (and Falkirk, and by all accounts Stranraer) and I still have nightmares about the game way back in February when he started with 6 defenders and no strikers.

We can win this one, despite St Mirren having far better players than their league position suggest, but I'm scared we might start all defensive again and take nothing. Also our aimless long balls in the vague direction of Berba isn't working. Keep Stevo a bit deeper, or even start with Todd upfront and Stanton on the wing.

Tom Walsh will definitely score, as will Ryan Hardie who loves a goal against us. Here's hoping we'll get plenty of penalties as they really look our only way of scoring....

I agree with most of this, but I'd add what I consider to be a relevant observation; we know we are limited in terms of player numbers and quality but there is a truly alarming tendency to surrender easy ball right now, especially from unforced errors in midfield.  Gal, Todd and Smith were all culpable on Saturday, and there's really no point in chasing, harrying and nicking balls only to immediately f*** it right up.

Stanton, Fleming and Stirling are a given for me this weekend, and I expect a much more offensive attitude from our guys; if not, the plucky 1-0 defeats will soon mount up - we're already at three in a row.

Without knowing how bad Andy Stirling's knock is, it appears we may have pretty much a full squad to choose from which gives us plenty options in my opinion. I don't see us changing anything hugely, but it's clear we need a bit more going forward. I'm hopeful that Stanton and Stirling (if fit) would give us that out wide, both players aren't scared to beat a man. As stated above, we could really be doing with big Thommo finding his shooting boots but I also feel we can't depend solely on him. Stevo and our guys out wide need to chip in as well. 

A win would be huge for us and given our results last year coupled with ours and St Mirrens form this year, I'd be fairly expectant of a result, which worries me a wee bit. Looking forward to it though.

Stevenson was a disappointment on Saturday. The game passed him by as he was neither close enough to the midfield to be effective nor close enough to Thomson to offer any genuine support. When he did get the ball, progress ground to a halt. We're at our best when we're pressing and playing with pace. We can't do the nice tippy tappy stuff and we can't afford 4 or 5 touches before we look up to try to find a team mate. By that point the fitter full time teams have closed down any options we might have had.

St Mirren will be low on confidence. Given that 2 of our recent results have come down to poor refereeing decisions, we should be relatively confident going into the game. We weren't good enough to force the issue on Saturday against Hibs but a draw might have been a fairer result as we certainly competed for most of th game even if our attacking play was short of that final bit of quality.

Having Barr back is a major plus. I thought he did well on Saturday and Bucky looks more confident with a natural defender beside him. I'd possibly play Docherty instead of Harvie at left back. Other than that I'm not sure I'd change much as I don't think Fleming is fit enough to start. If I was making any changes and Stirling was fit then it would possibly be Todd playing off Thomson, with Stevenson relegated to the bench.

I fully expect Dumbarton to win this one comfortably and Alex Rae to face the Dumbarton "Walk of Shame" like Ian Murray the previous year..

Dumbarton 3-1 St Mirren

(Thomson x2, Stevenson...Hardie) Att: 1,530

Stevenson was a disappointment on Saturday. The game passed him by as he was neither close enough to the midfield to be effective nor close enough to Thomson to offer any genuine support. When he did get the ball, progress ground to a halt. We're at our best when we're pressing and playing with pace. We can't do the nice tippy tappy stuff and we can't afford 4 or 5 touches before we look up to try to find a team mate. By that point the fitter full time teams have closed down any options we might have had.

St Mirren will be low on confidence. Given that 2 of our recent results have come down to poor refereeing decisions, we should be relatively confident going into the game. We weren't good enough to force the issue on Saturday against Hibs but a draw might have been a fairer result as we certainly competed for most of th game even if our attacking play was short of that final bit of quality.

Having Barr back is a major plus. I thought he did well on Saturday and Bucky looks more confident with a natural defender beside him. I'd possibly play Docherty instead of Harvie at left back. Other than that I'm not sure I'd change much as I don't think Fleming is fit enough to start. If I was making any changes and Stirling was fit then it would possibly be Todd playing off Thomson, with Stevenson relegated to the bench.

I actually think harvie's been pretty steady since getting came in. Other than first game of the season when he arrived two days before, he's been solid, and we've not conceded more than a single goal in a game. Big improvement defensively on last season

5 hours ago, Consolidate said:

Agree with others, would be good to see Stanton and Stirling come in and show what they can offer. Suspect only the former will start.

No nonsense about St Mirren being a Premiership team in all but name, we should be going for the 3 points here.

Yous should hang your heads in shame if you cant beat this St Mirren team we are fucking utter garbage.

39 minutes ago, elvis said:

Yous should hang your heads in shame if you cant beat this St Mirren team we are fucking utter garbage.

Mate we lost 3-0 to the abhorrent Morton side managed by Kenny Shiels. Our shame knows no bounds.

35 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Mate we lost 3-0 to the abhorrent Morton side managed by Kenny Shiels. Our shame knows no bounds.

If you think we were poor last season, just wait to you see this season's shambles. 

Teams playing against our defence don't have to work for goals, we gift wrap them with a monotonous regularity.

Add to that a completely anonymous midfield and then it gets better, we have 4 strikers who never seem to be paired in a combo that suits the disjointed formation. 

Alex Rae is confident he can turn things around......:-)

It's not the Dunfermline game you're talking about right? Because that was a rebound from a free-kick.

It was, but it wasn't directly from the free kick so I'm counting it. Failing that it would've been David Smith v Peterhead.
:huh:

That definitely doesn't count however

As per the past few weeks this is a must win for the calamity show that is St Mirren.  Hopefully Webster dropped and McKenzie and Gordon start i have my doubts though.  Do we really want Scott Gallacher ahead of Langfield both them seem to be as pish as each other.  

Anyway against my gut instinct i think we'll get off the mark this weekend 

Archived