Motherwell vs Hamilton Academical - 17th September 2016

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd think we need to start winning our home games and this would be an ideal one to sort ourselves out.

I can understand why McGhee chose to match up with County yesterday and play a more solid midfield but having lost Johnson and keeping Ainsworth on the bench as an impact sub really did highlight just how bereft of pace we are. Also a midfield of Cadden, Lasley, Clay and Chalmers for all its endeavour offers nothing by way of creativity. Which is a problem if you want to win games.

I get that Johnson was only one player but taking him out then looking at the players we've got there who are likely to start then we're looking quite imbalanced unless Ainsworth plays as an inverted winger.

Hopefully we can get Moult more minutes and a couple of goals. Will be interesting to see whether Lasley's knock keeps him out and whether Lucas signs up as McGhee seemed to be strongly hinting towards post-match.

No reason why we can't win but it'll need improvements in a few areas based on the last couple of games.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I get that Johnson was only one player but taking him out then looking at the players we've got there who are likely to start then we're looking quite imbalanced unless Ainsworth plays as an inverted winger.

It's not like Johnson played a blinder every week.  He was posted missing about 3 matches for every good one and even when he was in form he tended to fade out of matches with his questionable stamina in the last half hour or so.

With Moult coming back, we were going to change the formation anyway.  I don't think missing Johnson will amount to anything drastic, except perhaps a little bit of quality every once in a while.

Accies have started the season reasonable well but they have only scored once in each game and Crawford has got two of them, so if we can marshall him I think we have a bit more fire power in McDonald, Moult, Cadden, Ainsworth etc.

Not expecting a walkover by any means but we should be looking to get 3 points.

It's not like Johnson played a blinder every week.  He was posted missing about 3 matches for every good one and even when he was in form he tended to fade out of matches with his questionable stamina in the last half hour or so.

That's totally fair.

Tbh I was simply meaning that with the squad as is Chalmers and Thomas are really the only naturally left sided midfield there. I've only seen clips of Belic from YouTube but it'd be an ask to expect him to go from English u21 games to first team level here, it took Grimshaw 4 or 5 games to begin to find his feet making the same transition. He also looks more of a forward than a wide player.

I'm interested to see how we adjust the shape accordingly, when Bowman signed McGhee's indication was that he'd allow us to play 433 but with say, Moult, Bowman and McDonald as the front 3 it's difficult to see where the width comes from.

47 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

That's totally fair.

Tbh I was simply meaning that with the squad as is Chalmers and Thomas are really the only naturally left sided midfield there. I've only seen clips of Belic from YouTube but it'd be an ask to expect him to go from English u21 games to first team level here, it took Grimshaw 4 or 5 games to begin to find his feet making the same transition. He also looks more of a forward than a wide player.

I'm interested to see how we adjust the shape accordingly, when Bowman signed McGhee's indication was that he'd allow us to play 433 but with say, Moult, Bowman and McDonald as the front 3 it's difficult to see where the width comes from.

One of our big problems recently has been McDonald having to go wide to pick up the ball and then there being nobody in the box.  If McDonald goes wide to pick up the ball and we have Moult or Bowman in the box that's a 100% improvement right there.

Moult and McDonald can both go wide-ish and although you aren't going to get blistering pace  how often do wingers go to the byline these days anyway?  Johnson only did it when the crowd yelled at him.  Mostly we see crosses from 20 - 25 yards out or players cutting inside for a shot.  McDonald can certainly do that and Moult has played there in the past although you'd probably prefer him sniffing around in the middle.

Personally I think we will go 4-4-2 now, at least some of the time.  McGhee has seemed to have a pretty pragmatic approach to this season what with budget cuts and a low quality squad and 4-3-3 might get ditched in order to makes us a bit more solid and harder to break down as well as giving us a bit more presence in the box than we have had this season.  As a formation it's coming back into a fashion again with 6 or 7 teams in the league reverting to it.

Tough game to call. Motherwell should be winning this but you just never know with Accies, we've done reasonably well so far but we're not scoring which is a worry and I'm not overly confident with our defence as it is. No reason we can't take the points from this  game but I've a feeling it'll be another draw.

36 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Tough game to call. Motherwell should be winning this but you just never know with Accies, we've done reasonably well so far but we're not scoring which is a worry and I'm not overly confident with our defence as it is. No reason we can't take the points from this  game but I've a feeling it'll be another draw.

We've scored in every league game so far, its defending that seems to be the main problem. Crosses are a big issue for me, we need to start dealing with them quicker, making an effort to cut them out, if it goes out for a corner then fair enough, we can then organise to deal with the threat.

47 minutes ago, Laid-back Accie said:

We've scored in every league game so far, its defending that seems to be the main problem. Crosses are a big issue for me, we need to start dealing with them quicker, making an effort to cut them out, if it goes out for a corner then fair enough, we can then organise to deal with the threat.

It's more the fact that we seem to only score one goal a game, not going to work if we're conceding two or three goals in every game.

There's usually been a few goals in this fixture at Firpark in recent season's. Our away form of two draws and a defeat so far isn't too bad going and Motherwell have still to record their 1st win at home, although tbf they've only played two home games so far.  I'd say a high scoring draw will most likely be the outcome. 2-2 or 3-3

Would like to see Brophy and D'Acol start together, which would probably mean Imrie dropping to the bench. I think I'm right in saying that Brophy started up front with Morris in the 3-3 draw, so Canning is not afraid to go two up top in this fixture. Hoping that Devlin is fit otherwise it will probably be Donati, Want and Sarris at the back.

Ainsworth and Moult in, Bowman and one of Hammell/Chalmers back on the bench please. 

Has there been any word yet on why Lasley hobbled off on Saturday? With McHugh seemingly no nearer to a return if anything happens to Lasley we look extremely light in central midfield.

4 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Ainsworth and Moult in, Bowman and one of Hammell/Chalmers back on the bench please. 

Has there been any word yet on why Lasley hobbled off on Saturday? With McHugh seemingly no nearer to a return if anything happens to Lasley we look extremely light in central midfield.

I'm assuming it's an ankle knock, you can see it taped up here: 

Unfortunately it looks like we'll still be without McHugh, who's heid appears to have exploded following that head knock.

Archived