Ross County v Motherwell 10/09/16

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair result.

Motherwell were tidy but ineffectual and you could say the same about us. Thought we just shaded it overall but happy with a point having gone down to ten. No complaints about either of Mceveleys bookings or the penalty.

Thought KVDW actually looked ok when he came on and he found the bye line which would never happen with Mceveley back there. Routis was excellent first half and awful second. Woods was good. Franks was excellent, really impressive. Got a couple of really good deliveries in and was actually attacking his man for once. Hope to see more of that. 

By the sounds of things that's a very good point well won today, not the best performance but Dingwall hasn't been a happy hunting ground for us in recent times so all in all we've got to be pleased with that.

We need all three points against Hamilton next week though.

Considering the next few games ahead, that was two points definitely lost today. We played very well I thought but how Liam got the MOTM I cannot comprehend. He had a shocking touch and squandered quite a few chances which came back to bite us on the erse. Defence and midfield were completely in control in my opinion with Chris and Martin playing very well with Franks also playing the part. Midge's nutmeg on Tait was highlight of the day. Looking forward to highlights as wee Bazza Wilson on BBC stated in different words granted, that Scott MacDonald is a diving wee p***k for the penalty and from the west stand not sure if goal was offside. I might be wrong tho'
Sending off fucked up everything tho. not quite sure if wee Timothy is up to it yet and Liam ain't no left winger.

I thought Franks didn't attack his man or deliver into the box enough in the first half, but from 40 mins until the time he was subbed he had his best performance. Three really good deliveries at the start of the second half.

I'm not sure about the pen, but from my pov I thought Fox was favourite to get to the ball.

Happy to be wrong about the penalty, love a good retrospective moan. I can certainly see why it was given though - if it was a dive it was a convincing one. 

I wasn't at the game but the reporter on BBC Sportsound wasn't convinced it was in the area.

Motherwell are toothless up front without Moult and it's good to see him back. Happy with a draw.

And the pies? How were the pies?

16 minutes ago, The_Craig said:

And the pies? How were the pies?

The Jailend-side ones were excellent, a tint of gold but still with fluffy and moist piped tatties on top.  

I'm disappointed County couldn't beat a team with Joe Chalmers at left-mid, who was a complete passenger beyond the first five mins.

Just in. Enjoyed my trip to Dingwall as always - especially the amateur boxing in The Mallard before the game....

On the game - the first half was pretty poor stuff, I thought County just shaded it as they looked a bit more purposeful than us. The 2nd half was entertaining and I think County could feel a little unlucky not to pick up the 3 points as they deserved their lead and then with the offside goal, the roof fell in a bit. McDonald can be a frustrating wee bugger at times but (as someone who'll happily criticise our own players for diving) I thought he played the defender well for both big decisions. 

As much as Moult coming on made a big difference (new boy didn't have a great game at all), I thought it was the introduction of Ainsworth that got us on the front foot a bit more. On Moult, it's clear what we've been missing so far this season and he looked happy to be back. 

County (unfortunately) didn't fold when they went down to 10 men and we were guilty, as always, of not being assured enough in possession to make the extra man count. In the end, both teams could have won it but I was happy with the point, even though I thought Ainsworth had scored.....

Oh - and I got a great action shot of the best moment of the game:

j7841u.jpg

First half was poor from both sides with a real lack of quality especially in the final third, neither keeper really had anything to do. Game changed for me when Lasley limped off right at the start of the 2nd half. I panned his performance against St.Johnstone a few weeks back but I thought he was superb today. He was everywhere in that first half winning the ball back, breaking up numerous County attacks and rarely wasted a pass.

When he went off we had to rejig things with Ainsworth out wide and Cadden in central midfield and we lost our shape. County really took control of the game at that point and we could have lost a few more in that period. Then out of nowhere as the game seemed to be slipping away from us, we won a penalty. Couldn't see from where we were but I'd go along with whoever said above that it looked like it was going to Fox's ball all the way to me. Skippy's done well to get a pen from that and Moult tucked it away with aplomb.

The red card was a stick on for two daft challenges by McEveley who hilariously bad today. Both sides missed great chances to win it late on but I can't grumble with a point in the end, don't think we deserved any more or any less. Ainsworth should have buried that header though..

Wasn't a pretty performance, thought Heneghan was outstanding again at the back and Skippy had a very good game up front as well. Cadden had another decent game but still needs to work on his end product and Clay done his usual good 70 mins before blowing out his arse for the last 20. Bowman worked hard but it's a big step up from him and to be honest we looked a lot better once Moult came on who looked surprisingly sharp considering he's not kicked a ball in about 6 weeks. 

Enjoyable trip up to Dingwall though and have to reasonably content with a point in the end.

8 hours ago, Ieuan16 said:

McIntyre's second-choice isn't much better. It's alarming that, even with a few glances to see where he is, Ainsworth is able to ghost past Van Der Weg. He's very lucky he wasn't punished for it. Davies (although not much better) quite rightly gives him an earful for it. His hair is shocking, too.

Really don't have confidence in our defence, or the midfield protecting them.

Can't see many points being picked up in the next four games.

Granted McE has played a lot more than VdV, but:

• I still haven't seen anyone beat VdV by running with the ball at him
  • VdV nearly created something by getting to the byline.  McE set up the goal with a cross from deep, but he doesn't offer a run to the byline, something which would benefit the other players.
  • On recent form McE probably would have let Ainsworth run off him for that headed chance as well

I'm not so bothered that VdV will have to play at Ibrox.

Foster would have been the better option still.  I feel sorry for McLaughlin, whose deliveries are so much better and who might be at the point in the DL where he isn't going to improve so much more without experience in the first team.

Quinn took an unnecessary risk by stepping out in the lead up to the pen, but otherwise I've been quite happy with his partnership with Davies recently - they've been mostly rock solid.  Cikos has been fine too, it's at LB where the majority of the problems have been.

Routis and Woods continued to look a good partnership.  Woods has been consistently quite good since the ICT game.  I thought Routis had a good game until he shanked a FK way over the Jailend late in the game, then his head went and for 10 mins he made some strange errors.  I still have faith in that duo though, it looks better balanced than Woods-Irvine, even if Irvine was a better player.

Happy 18th anniversary of Motherwell spending £200k on Derek Adams. :cake

Back in the day of paying a transfer fee.

[emoji1]

The one that always cracks me up is paying £500K for John Hendry after he scored 2 in a Spurs reserve game.

f**k Alex McLeish! Arsehole!

Archived