Ross County v Motherwell 10/09/16

Was planning to make the trip up for this one, will be interesting to see how we set up post Marvin Johnson. Funnily enough I think the last time I was up in Dingwall was Marv's debut a few years ago.

Think we'll go with the same team as against Dundee, except I expect probably Bowman to come in for Johnson. Don't think McGhee will throw Moult or Bellic straight in as neither has played much football this season, where as Bowman seems to have been playing and scoring regularly for Gateshead before his move.

Even if they don't start, having the likes of McHugh and Moult back in the squad will be a huge boost as we've been pretty thin in terms of numbers recently.

Draw wouldn't be the worst result for us in the circumstances, a win would be just delightful.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'll be interesting to see who's actually available and who's picked. With Moult, McHugh, Hammell and Blyth all having been unavailable it's definitely had an impact on the team. IIRC 5 of the 7 subs vs Killie played in the 20s youth cup final win. Last season there were maybe or two injuries at any given time, so far this season there have been 5 of what you'd expect to be the match day squad out/carrying injuries (Moult, McHugh, Blyth, Kennedy, Hammell).

Add Johnson leaving and Chalmers having put in a creditable performance at Ibrox and having been called up for (and played in) the Scotland u21s dead rubber in the Ukraine then assuming he's got a fit squad to pick from I'm curious to see how McGhee lines up.

Bowman by all accounts is a straight up centre forward so there's no way he's a direct replacement for Johnson. With the squad as it is we'll be relying on Ainsworth and Thomas for width. Even Belic seems more of a forward player who'll play across the front positions rather than an out and out winger, if anything from the limited amount I've seen of him he looks like he'd be best suited playing McDonald's role.

Agree that Belic and Moult are unlikely to start. With Johnson having left it'll be interesting to see how that impacts on Ainsworth as well.

I'd expect us to go something like:

Samson
Tait Heneghan McManus Chalmers
Cadden Lasley Clay
Ainsworth Bowman McDonald

Hopefully a couple of Moult, McHugh, Hammell and Belic are on the bench and we're in a position to allow them to get some minutes.

A win would be lovely.

Strangely confident about this one. Reckon this will be one of those games we win 2-1 after being 2-0 for a long spell and losing a goal in the last quarter leading to a nervy finish that we do so very well.

I've still not been up to Ross County.  Maybe later this season but I don't know if we are scheduled to play up there twice before the split, I assume so since this is the first match.

County have a loss and a win at home this season so this one will surely be a draw, although for some reason I'm strangely confident.  We are set up to do better away from home than at Fir Park I think with the way McGhee likes to play.

25 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

County have a loss and a win at home this season so this one will surely be a draw

Ross County haven't drawn at home in the league in 30 months.

Spoiler

Great to see dd get the recognition he deserves with a tag from the OP, by the way.

I've still not been up to Ross County.  Maybe later this season but I don't know if we are scheduled to play up there twice before the split, I assume so since this is the first match.

The haggis pies are worth the journey alone allegedly.
They'd ran out when I went up so I can't confirm this.

10 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I think we'll miss Johnson more than people think. The guy was pretty much our outball.

We've only scored 13 goals in 9 games so far this season, Johnson scored 4 of them himself and set up 4 others. Of course we'll miss him.

Without Marv we now look to have very little in the way of pace and creativity going forward. We're going to be heavily reliant on Ainsworth who as we all know is hardly the most reliable player in the world and has been out of sorts for the best part of a year now.

I'm building it when I win the euromillions. No-one can stop me.

I think it should be built in the gap at the end of the Main Stand in place of the yellow scaffolding that is currently there.

That way he can hold up the foundations of Fir Park in the same way he held the heart of our team together.

I have mixed feelings about Ross County away. 

I was there last season.  it was November and fucking freezing.  We got taken apart 3-0.  Marvin Johnson played at left-back and Jake Taylor roamed about doing nothing as per usual.  We were absolutely hopeless.

However, the trip was worth it for the Haggis pie.  I even got another one (for free!!) in the second half when the pie stall was about to shut.  The greatest bit of food I've ever had in a football stadium, bar none.

As for Saturday, I'm hoping we can sneak a 1-0.  The Geordie Ribery with a debut goal.

However, the trip was worth it for the Haggis pie.  I even got another one (for free!!) in the second half when the pie stall was about to shut.  The greatest bit of food I've ever had in a football stadium, bar none.

No need to rub it in.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Amen.

(Deas the Bakers on the High St sell them too, if you don't want to risk them selling out during the game).

40 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Amen.

(Deas the Bakers on the High St sell them too, if you don't want to risk them selling out during the game).

Does Deas sell a variation on the dream ring?  Or at a push, a pineapple cream tart?  If you have a haggis pie with a dream ring for afters, that pretty much covers all the major food groups.

Archived