Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Just heard BBC Reporting Scotland quoting May as saying that a No Deal would increase demands from Scotland for independence thus threatening the union.
I would have thought that she was stating the "bleedin' obvious" but, according to the BBC, the SNP claim she is living in fantasy land.
For once I thought that May had come out with a reasonable and sensible comment. Can someone explain why (allegedly) the SNP have ridiculed her claim?

I guess it’s cause it frames it as being an SNP demand rather than a democratic expression?

13 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

So the day has finally arrived when we can hand on heart say to the mods to delete the ‘slowly becoming’ part of this thread title. I mean its been a farce for ages but its confirmed after tonight.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If May's deal had any chance whatsoever of going through, Herr Mass has probably blown it.

https://twitter.com/ReutersUK/status/1085121753729388544

There you go. Brexit is slowly becoming a farce!

34 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

So, let me get this clear, the choice is to continue as part of the EU and enjoy free movement and the benefits of being part of the worlds largest trading block or alternatively we risk "hunger and starvation".

MMMM

That's a tough choice...............

My vegetable patch is now a patio.

#ripme

9 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Bit of wishful thinking there. I think May will definitely lose tonight, but not by the huge margin that so many are predicting.

That will let her argue that she might still be able to get more out of the EU, and continue the process of bringing deals back for parliament to chew over for some time yet.

Yes, exactly how I see it playing out myself. I'm pretty sure nothing will be decided for months (maybe even years) to come and when "change" finally does come, I'm also pretty sure that it will be in name only and that very little will have actually changed.

As long as the illusion is there though.

Why, what would you do? Push for independence or stay in shambles Britain?

Well I’m assuming that May is trying to suggest that the SNP will hold Brexit hostage to secure Scottish independence by any means necessary. Obvs they want independence but they have to try and be seen to be exhausting every possible option before triggering another referendum.

Well I’m assuming that May is trying to suggest that the SNP will hold Brexit hostage to secure Scottish independence by any means necessary. Obvs they want independence but they have to try and be seen to be exhausting every possible option before triggering another referendum.
What do you want?

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

No, funnily enough since we are in a free trade area and also have lots of free trade agreements through the EU, I don't.

Ah, so that's why they've had to add a new lane to the motorway heading to Dover, talk about buying an old airfield, extend Operation Stack from the M2 to the M20 and M26, give out contracts for ships and ports to ease congension and the like? That's why it's not important to get a deal, since they'll get exactly the same checks as before? Or could it be that you're talking out your arse and that WTO rules don't just allow you to wave through freight at the port of entry?

Ah, sorry, I just have missed the news about some of the biggest companies cracking teleportation technology. I just assumed you know since 4 million tonnes of freight are imported by truck into the UK, 98% of which is from the EU (28% of the total is from France alone) that some of that might be brought in by van, truck and lorry. Clearly the 90% of freight that is currently moved by road doesn't include medicines. After all, these are some of the biggest companies in the world. It's not as if the likes of Amazon, Ford, Samsung, or even GlaxoSmithKline use road freight to move their goods. Oh no, wait...

Apart from that though, you seem to have a real grasp of the subject.

The Dover lorry park is in case the French shut down their side. The ferries will still run as they do now, there is nothing to stop us importing medicine.

The most obvious mistake in this shambles was declaring Article 50 before preparing any kind of realistic bargaining position, or a plan that had any chance of gaining Parliamentary support. Corbyn continually blaming only the Government for what has happened falls a bit flat given that he issued a 3 line whip to vote for it. If there is a General Election I don't think Labour will escape blame.

7 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

So whats the prediction on how many votes May's deal will lose by? If it's a whopping great defeat it makes selling renegotiation very difficult. 

I am going to go for 200 vote loss.

Could be affected by which amendments Bercow's about to choose to put to the vote. The power he has is immense with a minority Government.  

I'll go for 140 with a few more Tories putting job before conscience. 

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, Londonwell said:

So whats the prediction on how many votes May's deal will lose by? If it's a whopping great defeat it makes selling renegotiation very difficult. 

I am going to go for 200 vote loss.

I am going for 70. Shitebags Tories will crumble and some Red Tories will side with them.