Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

17 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The absolute state of this loathsome bint. 

She's just right, that's all there is to it. She's seen it with her own eyes. Her mate at the council says.

Back when I was a kid, it was homeless people - they all live in nice houses and drive cars, but they make a fortune sitting in the cold on the street begging money from idiots who give them their spare change, while I have to go out and graft for a pittance, etc etc. The concept doesn't stand up to even the slightest scrutiny, but some people just want to believe it so very, very badly.

I think it must be guilt so monstrous that it has to be denied at all costs. If it just came down to rank selfishness, you'd surely just say "yeah, f**k 'em, so long as I'm alright", as the occasional poster on here occasionally will.

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

She's just right, that's all there is to it. She's seen it with her own eyes. Her mate at the council says.

Back when I was a kid, it was homeless people - they all live in nice houses and drive cars, but they make a fortune sitting in the cold on the street begging money from idiots who give them their spare change, while I have to go out and graft for a pittance, etc etc. The concept doesn't stand up to even the slightest scrutiny, but some people just want to believe it so very, very badly.

I think it must be guilt so monstrous that it has to be denied at all costs. If it just came down to rank selfishness, you'd surely just say "yeah, f**k 'em, so long as I'm alright", as the occasional poster on here occasionally will.

Counterintuitively I have some sympathy* for her.

Her dad didn't have the opportunity or passed up on the chance to provide for himself in his dotage and her perspective in life may well be influenced by his bitter outcome. If only he'd fully bought into Thatcher's revolution or perhaps his name is Sid and nobody told him.

Anyway, I'd take a paragraph or two to do what the cartoon does very well.

*I'm setting aside the unspoken r word 

IMG_0113.thumb.jpg.d87d4ed960c18d012ad35b66e3536d1b.jpg

10 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I am getting a lot of LBC stuff. There was a caller who was delighted about leaving the EU, because his mate in the 70s said it was the United States of Europe.

It always puzzles me how so many of the “United States of Europe! Boo! Say no to superstates!” mob seem to see no problem at all with the UK, which as we’ve just seen holds its members as prisoners and entirely overrides their democratic processes. Presumably they’d be ok with with a USE as long as it was run entirely from Westminster and dominated by the home counties…

13 minutes ago, Antlion said:

It always puzzles me how so many of the “United States of Europe! Boo! Say no to superstates!” mob seem to see no problem at all with the UK, which as we’ve just seen holds its members as prisoners and entirely overrides their democratic processes. Presumably they’d be ok with with a USE as long as it was run entirely from Westminster and dominated by the home counties…

As it turns out, the main problem was always that the monolithic European superstate wouldn't allow the UK's rulers to attack the rights of its own citizens.

There's going to be cracking 5D interactive documoviegames made of this period of history in a hundred years time. If anyone's still alive.

5 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Meanwhile, the Tories are busy getting to the actual point of the thing; fuckity bye equal pay and holiday pay (for a kickoff)

Oh no. We absolutely hadn't thought of that. That would be terrible.

Here's a thought - maybe we could try withdrawing from the European Convention on Human Rights and see if that sorts it out? Not sure it does anything important anyway TBH.

1 hour ago, Antlion said:

They also object to a European Army even if it is practically the same as the countries of NATO.

47 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

They also object to a European Army even if it is practically the same as the countries of NATO.

I wonder how much the rentagobs actually do object, or offer reasons for objecting, or have even considered their objections - and how much they’re just conditioned to go red at hearing “European” put before anything, whether it’s “state” or “army”. They’re certainly thick enough to be manipulated by the Farages of the world in that way.

If the UK didn’t exist but was proposed, they’d be first on the airwaves decrying it as an evil attack on our traditional ways. But because it exists and the English Parliament runs it, and because Sturgeon and co give them another hate-figure, it’s UKOK.

The outrage over a European army supposedly came from the idea that the fascist EU overlords could send them in to one of the member states if they didn't straighten all the bananas, or something. You know, like the UK would absolutely do with Scotland if we ever tried to declare independence with a majority of pro-Indy MSPs & MPs, and after a positive referendum result.

In reality, it just came down to the horrifying idea that GRATE BRITTISH troops might have to take orders from Ze Germans, who (as everyone knows) run Europe. Who would be left to protect us when they try to conquer Europe again?

13 hours ago, BFTD said:

Or the assumption that they are all Albanian/Romanian gang members.

14 hours ago, BFTD said:

It is possible to have a bit of fun with the sort of folk who immediately believe what anyone says if it fits their prejudices. 

A mate of mine who works in a central belt Council uses two stories quite often. When he meets new folk, and they ask him where he works, he tells them and follows up with stuff about it not being a great place to work but the big perk is that full time employees don't have to pay Council Tax.  That can generate quite a discussion! 

Another, when he's working at a polling station is to tell folk who hand over their polling cards that they are entered into a prize draw for a holiday.  Many people seem to believe him. 

(For the benefit of the hard of thinking, neither of these "perks" are true.. 🙄... or are they? No smoke without fire... maybe you should run it by a Tory Councillor or MSP... disgraceful the way that the media cover up these scandals... ) 

43 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

It is possible to have a bit of fun with the sort of folk who immediately believe what anyone says if it fits their prejudices. 

A mate of mine who works in a central belt Council uses two stories quite often. When he meets new folk, and they ask him where he works, he tells them and follows up with stuff about it not being a great place to work but the big perk is that full time employees don't have to pay Council Tax.  That can generate quite a discussion! 

Another, when he's working at a polling station is to tell folk who hand over their polling cards that they are entered into a prize draw for a holiday.  Many people seem to believe him. 

(For the benefit of the hard of thinking, neither of these "perks" are true.. 🙄... or are they? No smoke without fire... maybe you should run it by a Tory Councillor or MSP... disgraceful the way that the media cover up these scandals... ) 

The Council tax question is the polar opposite. Almost impossible for a Council employee not to pay their Council tax, if they do try not to it's simply deducted from their salary. Internal audit do monthly checks on all employees. 

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

The Council tax question is the polar opposite. Almost impossible for a Council employee not to pay their Council tax, if they do try not to it's simply deducted from their salary. Internal audit do monthly checks on all employees. 

No! Don't spoil a good tale with these 'fact' things... 

5 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Similarly, every coffee that you buy in Washington DC is used to fund secret covert operations by the CIA. 

Therefore, as a rule when in Washington, you should drink tea.

5 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

When i worked at hmrc i told a few people that we got a staff discount off our tax. Most people just went "what? Nah... you fanny" but a couple were really pissed off. 

51 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Similarly, every coffee that you buy in Washington DC is used to fund secret covert operations by the CIA. 

Therefore, as a rule when in Washington, you should drink tea.

Are secret tevert operations better?

Covid crossover but apt here. UKG announced this morning it had no intentions of introducing screening for travellers arriving from China.  A few hours later the EU announced it was "unjust" to introduce screening and within the hour a UKG minister had changed the line to "taking advice" and "closely monitoring" the situation when questioned about restrictions. We are so far through the anti EU rabbit hole that we will quite literally say / do the polar opposite of anything the EU announce regardless of the connotations. Crazy times !

19 hours ago, coprolite said:

When i worked at hmrc i told a few people that we got a staff discount off our tax. Most people just went "what? Nah... you fanny" but a couple were really pissed off. 

Worked in what was then the Inland Revenue 1983-88, and people would ask if I got tax concessions.

The Brexit deal would enable UK companies to “do even more business” with the European Union, according to Johnson, and would leave Britain free to strike trade deals around the world while continuing to export seamlessly to the EU market of 450 million consumers.

In reality, Brexit has hobbled the UK economy, which remains the only member of the G7 — the group of advanced economies that also includes Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and the United States — with an economy smaller than it was before the pandemic.

Years of uncertainty over the future trading relationship with the European Union, Britain’s largest trading partner, have damaged business investment, which in the third quarter was 8% below pre-pandemic levels despite a UK-EU trade deal being in place for nearly two years.

And the pound has taken a beating, making imports more expensive and stoking inflation while failing to boost exports, even as other parts of the world have enjoyed a post-pandemic trade boom.