Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

9 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Those sunlit uplands are currently looking about as bright as the far side of Pluto.

Thank God we listened to that clever Eton boy David Cameron and financial wizard Gordon Brown and embraced the stability of and security of the EU-loving UK, right? Right?

411805D6-0929-4DEC-B438-56406010205F.jpeg

B2C18EE5-A6D4-499A-874E-6064BABC39F7.jpeg

1B7797BE-1041-4D1D-8E8D-86297D5FE22A.jpeg

I don't know if modern economists have found a way to control inflation without using the traditional tool of raising interest rates, but if not the worry about energy prices could be like nothing compared to the shock on mortgages if today's rise is the first of many.

35 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't know if modern economists have found a way to control inflation without using the traditional tool of raising interest rates, but if not the worry about energy prices could be like nothing compared to the shock on mortgages if today's rise is the first of many.

I think you could be right.

Mortgages have never been as cheap but that’s about to change big time.

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I think you could be right.

Mortgages have never been as cheap but that’s about to change big time.

I agree. The problem is many, if not most, of people with a mortgage today have never seen 'normal' interest rates, so are completely unprepared for what is about to happen. I remember my mortgage capped at 15% when interest rates were 17 odd percent. 

Turkey have been trying the alternative approach now for the past year, it's going really eh..........badly.

On 31/01/2022 at 10:19, welshbairn said:

image.png.fb9a32602e477778d693d21b1e6431da.png

Well, only if you think getting £30 when your Ryanair domestic flight is delayed more than 3 hours is better than £220 as now.. :1eye

More on this great Brexit bonus!

UK flight compensation plan will slash average payouts

Government says move is a ‘Brexit win’ but figures suggest average sum will drop from £220 to about £23.60

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/feb/05/uk-flight-compensation-plan-will-slash-average-payouts

Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s government claimed Brexit would benefit the UK fishing industry by more than £148m by 2026 – but analysis by a former lead negotiator for the UK during the EU fishing deal with Norway suggested the sector would be worse off by £300m over the same period.

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/fishing-after-brexit/

After a day on LBC of Sheila Fogherty and James O’Brien receiving calls from business owners about the damage Brexit has done to their businesses, it was refreshing to hear Tory shill Ian Dale balancing things by inviting calls from those who have benefitted. Thus far, oddly, all he’s managed is a loony claiming that the tangible benefits will come, honestly, one day, and that we’ll avoid the coming EU army (which is definitely real), so there’s that.

Also also, Dale decided to go on record (again) as stating that the benefit of Brexit is and will be sovereignty: British politicians making decisions on issues affecting British people, as an independent nation state should operate. I look forward to the next time Scottish independence comes up, and he suddenly discounts sovereignty as important and argues that Scottish politicians shouldn’t make decisions on issues affecting Scottish people, because sovereignty is awful and being an independent nation state is bad.

I see there is some disquiet over the potential for conflict of interest for JRM in new role as Minister for Brexit Opportunities given his 12% holding in Somerset Capital Management (now partly based in Dublin!), I guess it's inevitable that these accusations can (and will) be made against super-rich Tory MPs, but this appointment does seem particularly tactless.

31 minutes ago, btb said:

I see there is some disquiet over the potential for conflict of interest for JRM in new role as Minister for Brexit Opportunities given his 12% holding in Somerset Capital Management (now partly based in Dublin!), I guess it's inevitable that these accusations can (and will) be made against super-rich Tory MPs, but this appointment does seem particularly tactless.

I wonder if Johnson gave him that post as a poisoned chalice because he was getting too uppity? I'm pretty sure May gave Johnson the Foreign Secretary job to finish him off as a credible politician, which it did internationally but not domestically unfortunately.

1 hour ago, btb said:

Tbh day 2 and he's asked the readership of the Sun, the newspaper of choice by the great thinkers of our time, what the point of Brexit is.

I mean I knew it was a a terrible idea but to see the new Minister be so open about it was a suprise.

18 minutes ago, 101 said:

Tbh day 2 and he's asked the readership of the Sun, the newspaper of choice by the great thinkers of our time, what the point of Brexit is.

I mean I knew it was a a terrible idea but to see the new Minister be so open about it was a suprise.

The point of Brexit for him and his ilk was always to create a low regulation economy on the edge of the EU which they could exploit for their own benefit.

Still it's nice to see the petty xenophobia peddled by Murdoch (& the other newspaper oligarchs) continue, another Great British  tradition - long may it continue.....

Edited by btb

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Only with the NI Protocol effectively leaving it inside the EU single market. If the DUP manage to squash it they won't be popular with the business community. 

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Only with the NI Protocol effectively leaving it inside the EU single market. If the DUP manage to squash it they won't be popular with the business community. 

NI would just go back to trading with GB