Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Considering it appears that leaving the EU has fulfilled absolutely none of the most commonly-quoted reasons for wanting to do it, most of the die-hard anti-EU people would surely be able to admit that it's been a mess so far, even if they think that eventually wonderful things will happen (or things they think are wonderful, at any rate).

The 4% must be the leave-at-all-costs crowd; the folk claiming they'd rather be dead in a ditch than have anything to do with foreigners, and not in a "this will get me votes if I say it" way. Unapologetic racists, in other words. Good news, really; I'd have thought there'd be more.

We lived on the edge of Embra's New Town (Carlton Terrace) from 1999 for 5 years and it's a brilliant city to live in and perfect for work/life balance.  Were my circumstances different I'd move back in a heartbeat.
Surely work/life balance is down to your contract with your employer and nothing to do with the settlement you're in? It's not like folk in Edinburgh get a twenty-fifth hour in the day.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Considering it appears that leaving the EU has fulfilled absolutely none of the most commonly-quoted reasons for wanting to do it, most of the die-hard anti-EU people would surely be able to admit that it's been a mess so far, even if they think that eventually wonderful things will happen (or things they think are wonderful, at any rate).

The 4% must be the leave-at-all-costs crowd; the folk claiming they'd rather be dead in a ditch than have anything to do with foreigners, and not in a "this will get me votes if I say it" way. Unapologetic racists, in other words. Good news, really; I'd have thought there'd be more.

It's pretty amazing you could get 52% of the population to vote for something like Brexit without the vast majority of those 52% realising it was going to cause dislocation and disruption.

2 hours ago, bendan said:

It's pretty amazing you could get 52% of the population to vote for something like Brexit without the vast majority of those 52% realising it was going to cause dislocation and disruption.

I no longer find it amazing that over half the electorate are thicker than whales' foreskins. Depressing, yes, but not amazing.

Two letters from the Guardian

Reading Christopher John’s account of the working conditions of HGV drivers in the UK (‘Getting into Europe is a relief every time’: an HGV driver reflects on UK crisis, 27 September), I was struck by the fact that I had no idea how bad they are. If we weren’t in the middle of a Brexit-induced driver shortage, I probably still wouldn’t.

The exodus of European workers has created a vacuum in the form of a labour shortage. From that space, a national discussion that foregrounds both the voices and interests of working-class people has emerged. There have been lots of references to this as an unexpected or ironic benefit of Brexit. This is beyond patronising. British HGV drivers were a largely pro-Brexit demographic. Now, their wages are going up and drivers’ concerns are being represented in a newspaper as staunchly pro-remain as the Guardian. This is not an unexpected consequence. This is them getting what they voted for.

Of course, this could have been achieved without such a damaging act of national sabotage as Brexit. But this is beside the point. The point is that it wouldn’t have been. I think lots of leave voters intuited that the chaos caused by Brexit would force a shift in the political landscape, one that ended the chronic underrepresentation of their interests. Those of us who assumed that working-class leave voters didn’t understand what they were doing owe them an apology.
Jonny Marsh
Sutton, London

How reasonable. Perhaps there is some hope for a workable solution that benefits everyone.....

Amid the labour shortages in haulage and agriculture, food supply and other sectors, it’s worth noting that Brexiters don’t seem to have realised that by cutting off freedom of movement, they have at a stroke cut off a large and flexible reserve pool of workers in many sectors, not forgetting the NHS and care sector.

This was like an overdraft facility, allowing fluctuations in worker availability to be spread across the EU. We now find our “cheques” for UK haulier and agricultural workers are “bouncing”, with no overdraft reserve to tide us over the peak demand. By boxing ourselves into a corner with the Conservatives’ “red lines”, we now find that we are frequently hitting the limits, and demand cannot be met solely from UK workers.
Mike Whittaker
Stapleton, Shropshire

Nope. Get the Guillotine out.

I read that first letter in the Guardian and I pretty much agree.

A lot of Remainers who worked in professions largely insulated from competition from EU migration (because high-level English language skills are required, among other things) don't seem to have any empathy for people who literally saw their pay and conditions stagnate because of it.

I don't think they'll be giving a **** if you now have only three kinds of tonic to choose from instead of the usual ten.

Obviously any Brexiteers now complaining about supply issues have only got themselves and government incompetence to blame.

There are going to be lots of ups and downs in this Brexit pathway and I was certainly under no illusions when I voted for it. It’s going to take at least 5 years for things to settle down. Interestingly, Guido Fawkes is showing pictures of empty supermarket shelves in Brussels. This seems to be a pan European situation just now.

Likewise, if Scottish independence happens, it’s going to be a bumpy ride. I would think that even the most diehard separatist would acknowledge that. I recall the Growth Commission reckoning on 10 years of austerity.

However, if you believe in something, you just need to face the consequences and make the best of it.

If you’re on the losing side in a constitutional referendum, whether Brexit or independence, no point in being a bad loser.

Simple as that.

There are going to be lots of ups and downs in this Brexit pathway and I was certainly under no illusions when I voted for it. It’s going to take at least 5 years for things to settle down. Interestingly, Guido Fawkes is showing pictures of empty supermarket shelves in Brussels. This seems to be a pan European situation just now.
Likewise, if Scottish independence happens, it’s going to be a bumpy ride. I would think that even the most diehard separatist would acknowledge that. I recall the Growth Commission reckoning on 10 years of austerity.
However, if you believe in something, you just need to face the consequences and make the best of it.
If you’re on the losing side in a constitutional referendum, whether Brexit or independence, no point in being a bad loser.

Simple as that.
The empty shelf pic in Brussels was attributed to a strike at Carrefour distribution warehouses, not exactly the same issues as in the UK.

https://www.retaildetail.eu/en/news/food/empty-shelves-carrefour-due-strikes-distribution-centres

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

The empty shelf pic in Brussels was attributed to a strike at Carrefour distribution warehouses, not exactly the same issues as in the UK.

https://www.retaildetail.eu/en/news/food/empty-shelves-carrefour-due-strikes-distribution-centres

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Well researched.

The end result is still the same.

2 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Can't quite recall any of those extolling the many virtues of Brexit during the referendum mentioning anything about 5 years.

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Well researched.

The end result is still the same.

No it's not. 

You attempted to equivalise our shortages in supermarkets with those in Belgium. We don't have drivers to make adequate deliveries. Belgium does but there is an industrial dispute.

The unions will broker a deal, much to your chagrin no doubt and the shelves will be full- unlike here.

Caught out peddling shite.

Again. 

STOP PRESS.... 

"je n'ai pas remarqué de pénurie"

SAYS Dawson Parc Garçon (via Galette et liptons limon tee)

Edited by speckled tangerine
Breaking news!

It’s been a bit of a disaster so far, but I can still see why folk voted for it. It seems to me that it’s similar to folk wanting independence for Scotland. It’s folk wanting independence from Europe. I’d imagine that Independence for Scotland would bring a similar shitstorm in the short to medium term. I’d imagine that a lot of people, on seeing how it’s gone, would change their vote. Also, on seeing how abjectly bad the current Westminster government is, people will surely be questioning how this shower of no-marks got to be MPs.