Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

24 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I think it’s fair to point out that a benefit for some people isn’t the same as being a benefit to the economy. 

I think it’s also fair to point out that upwards pressure on some wages from reduced labour supply won’t necessarily lead to higher wages even for those specific jobs.

Comparing that to cbi scaremongering is either missing the point or disingenuous.  

I'm not comparing what you've said just there to CBI scaremongering. I was comparing your initial scaremongering post to CBI scaremongering. Talk about disingenuous!

Isn't it more likely that they simply wouldn't offer those products in places like the Highlands, as it doesn't make sense to devote limited resources to the task of delivering these low value, bulky items?
Yes, that's exactly what will happen, the consumer will be penalised in their choice of products merely due to where they live. The amount of deliveries will reduce,the amount of staff required will then be reduced.
Hence my original comment.

32 minutes ago, bendan said:

I'm not comparing what you've said just there to CBI scaremongering. I was comparing your initial scaremongering post to CBI scaremongering. Talk about disingenuous!

Ok. Can’t be arsed with anymore you said /I said balls so I’ll try to change the subject a bit.

Hospitality is also suffering an acute skills shortage. Individual Restaurants and bars are notoriously precarious businesses and the staff are generally min wage and relatively low skilled. 

How do you see the excess demand for labour being resolved in hospitality?

I’d hope that wage rises will play a bigger part than businesses closing. Anecdotally both are happening but I’ve no real idea of numbers. I fear the reverse might happen (not saying I think it will).

My bigger fear is that the laissez faire ideologues in the government see this as an opportunity and reason to reduce benefits to increase labour market participation. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Ok. Can’t be arsed with anymore you said /I said balls so I’ll try to change the subject a bit.

Hospitality is also suffering an acute skills shortage. Individual Restaurants and bars are notoriously precarious businesses and the staff are generally min wage and relatively low skilled. 

How do you see the excess demand for labour being resolved in hospitality?

I’d hope that wage rises will play a bigger part than businesses closing. Anecdotally both are happening but I’ve no real idea of numbers. I fear the reverse might happen (not saying I think it will).

My bigger fear is that the laissez faire ideologues in the government see this as an opportunity and reason to reduce benefits to increase labour market participation. 

It's interesting you see a government that has spunked unprecedented amounts of money during the Covid crisis as laissez faire. 

Hospitality faces a lot of difficulties getting staff. I'd say low end places will need to look at their business model if they want to stay open. By that I mean ordering on your phone or other ways of reducing human involvement. Higher end places can pay more, and we'll probably see the government add countries to the youth mobility programme, which would help supply.

14 minutes ago, bendan said:

It's interesting you see a government that has spunked unprecedented amounts of money during the Covid crisis as laissez faire. 

Hospitality faces a lot of difficulties getting staff. I'd say low end places will need to look at their business model if they want to stay open. By that I mean ordering on your phone or other ways of reducing human involvement. Higher end places can pay more, and we'll probably see the government add countries to the youth mobility programme, which would help supply.

I don’t see the government as A whole as laissez faire. That would be too much like a principle. But there’s still influential individuals in the Tory party that will jump at the chance to make the poor poorer (Redwood, IDS etc).

Great opportunity to prove to the nation that our new sovereignty can be used as a flexible tool to sort out any short term problems that come our way. Instead nothing. No solutions offered at all. 

Point to this shitshow if anybody tells you Brexit was about anything other than Johnny Foreigner.

Taking away brexit from the equation and just asking a general question. If the wages are too low does it mean for a lot of goods/services we just arent paying a fair price and and we have maybe got too used to that in a way and brexit or not at some point that was always going to have to be looked at if we want a fairer more equal society.

Clearly the tories arent interested in that but all the other parties should be

6 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I've seen and heard lots recently about Wetherspoons struggling to get supplies.  Not once however has anyone made reference to ba'-faced owner Tim Martin being a major Brexit cheerleader, never mind seeking him out for interview.  Journalistic scraping the barrel springs to mind.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/01/wetherspoons-short-on-some-beers-as-brexit-affects-deliveries

Parent company JD Wetherspoon, which is led by vocal Brexit-supporter Tim Martin, confirmed on Wednesday that some of its pubs did not have the beers in stock

6 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I've seen and heard lots recently about Wetherspoons struggling to get supplies.  Not once however has anyone made reference to ba'-faced owner Tim Martin being a major Brexit cheerleader, never mind seeking him out for interview.  Journalistic scraping the barrel springs to mind.

“Wetherspoons struggling to get supplies” is the first positive Brexit story I have seen.