Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

There’s no point in laughing at people that voted leave and now realise that it was a shite idea.

People have been fed shite news stories for decades about Brussels bureaucrats measuring the length of bananas or the weight of sugar cubes.  Couple that with some sense of entitlement over our brave boys in ww2 and this was inevitable.

32 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

There’s no point in laughing at people that voted leave and now realise that it was a shite idea.

People have been fed shite news stories for decades about Brussels bureaucrats measuring the length of bananas or the weight of sugar cubes.  Couple that with some sense of entitlement over our brave boys in ww2 and this was inevitable.

Except for the basic question "why should I care about the length of bananas or the weight of sugar cubes?" 

I am not sure if I have ever bought sugar cubes.  If they are same size in all countries or not - I couldn't care less.

2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Except for the basic question "why should I care about the length of bananas or the weight of sugar cubes?" 

I am not sure if I have ever bought sugar cubes.  If they are same size in all countries or not - I couldn't care less.

They will all be the same size in the EU countries.

Meanwhile - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-57941657

Edited by Jacksgranda

23 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

They will all be the same size in the EU countries.

Meanwhile - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-57941657

Now we are out of the EU they don't even have to be cubes anymore! Yippee.

Still have no need to buy any.

You also mentioned essential medicines to NI.  Is that important? 😐

Just now, Fullerene said:

You also mentioned essential medicines to NI.  Is that important? 😐

There was a list published a while back and none of them were anything I use so no.

1 hour ago, Lofarl said:

I'm not sure about sugar but the idea of British exceptionalism is so ingrained that it passes without comment...

Just yesterday on the wireless:

"We're good at sticking to rules whereas the Europeans aren't"

In the context of a government that wants to break it's word, the lack of self perspective is staggering

5 hours ago, Dolf said:

Financial O Toole explains the consequences and situation Britain will find itself in if it does away with the protocol

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jul/23/northern-ireland-protocol-boris-johnson-oven-ready-deal-sausage

Since it is unanswerable, we get the embarrassing stunt: the demand that the EU should tear up a crucial part of the Brexit withdrawal agreement – or else.

Or else what? Britain will unilaterally suspend the operation of the protocol, force-feed the people of Northern Ireland with good English sausage, trigger retaliatory trade sanctions from the EU, destroy Britain’s reputation as a trustworthy partner for any sane country and deeply antagonise the Biden administration in Washington with whom it is hoping to do a landmark trade deal. Good luck with all that.

That's why this is in thecommentisfree section.  Not convinced that I should be listening to a drama critic when it comes.to international relations.  

14 minutes ago, strichener said:

That's why this is in thecommentisfree section.  Not convinced that I should be listening to a drama critic when it comes.to international relations.  

Good idea, rather than reflect upon the continued wise words of the respected journalist Fintan O'Toole, we're almost certainly best placed to follow the view of a contributor who involves himself in desperate pits of pedantry in fruitless debate.

50 minutes ago, strichener said:

Better than listening to a drama queen.

22 minutes ago, Dolf said:

The author two best selling books on Brexit that has been traveling around British universities giving lectures on the subject and who was one of the first commentators that correctly called Brexit a product of English nationalism and you put his name into a search engine and came up with drama critic?

Google spectacularly failed to recognise Financial O'Toole.  Luckily I am aware of who "best selling" author Fintan the self proclaimed Anglophile is.

His own drama is in his writings with such heavy political insight as "the only stiff upper lips on display in England now belong to the victims of botched Botox jobs" or "Britain has spent 45 years hanging from the ceiling in the Red Room of Pain, with clamps on its nipples and a gag in its mouth."

I'll file that in the bin along with your opinion.

7 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Pointing out an auto correct mistake is the perfect way of countering a previous posters claim that you are a pedant

You were the one that claimed I just typed the name into Google which is quite hard to do when then name isn't even in the post.

Anyway his interpretation of what happens by triggering Article 16 are as skewed as yours.  The whole point of Article 16 is to allow unilateral measures to be put in place until agreeable solutions can be found.  It does not demand that anything is "torn up".  In the same way as the EU indicating that they would use the same mechanism to implement a hard border in Ireland was not tearing up the agreement.

1 hour ago, strichener said:

I think we will just have to disagree on that.

So it's your considered opinion that if the UK unilaterally, without a legitimate cause, change the current agreement with the EU then international law will not have been breached?

On 22/07/2021 at 22:03, welshbairn said:

I read something about Theresa May being totally dumbstruck when she found out Ireland could be a bit of a problem, and tried to back track on her red lines. A recent Secretary of State for Northern Ireland didn't realise that people in NI generally vote along sectarian lines. Some of these Tories are genuinely thick.

Possibly, you could just as easily say that they're completely uninterested and utterly bored by anything to do with the regions.

They're as perplexed by anything to do with Norn Iron as they were by Scotland in 2014, and you can guarantee that the phrase, "why don't we just tell them to f**k off and do what they want?" has been uttered by a fair few Conservative cabinet ministers by this point.

13 hours ago, BFTD said:

Possibly, you could just as easily say that they're completely uninterested and utterly bored by anything to do with the regions.

They're as perplexed by anything to do with Norn Iron as they were by Scotland in 2014, and you can guarantee that the phrase, "why don't we just tell them to f**k off and do what they want?" has been uttered by a fair few Conservative cabinet ministers by this point.

Agreed to an extent, but it's far easier to pretend that a country isn't connected to you when it physically isn't connected to you.

32 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Brexit exodus – ‘EU workers have left and aren’t returning...we’ve never seen anything like this in 20 years’

https://www.business-live.co.uk/economic-development/brexit-exodus--eu-workers-21105531

So what? They got rid of all those Johnny Foreigners.