Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

10 hours ago, Left Back said:

I have to ask.  If you have conditions so serious you can’t get insurance and travelled just on your EHIC how did you expect to get home if something did happen?

I'm going on holiday anyway. EHIC would mean I wouldn't have to worry about massive medical bills on top of cancelled/postponed flights. If it all went pear shaped they could burn me and post me home in a jam jar for less than a fiver.

Edited by welshbairn

Unless it's just Boris borissing, this sounds hopeful.

For more than 40 years, British travellers have benefited from free or very low-cost medical treatment in the EU and its predecessor organisations. The European Health Insurance Card (Ehic) and the document it replaced, the E111, have proved extremely valuable for many elderly travellers, and/or people with pre-existing medical conditions.

Immediately after the Brexit deal was signed, No 10 said it would “ensure necessary healthcare provisions – akin to those provided by the European Health Insurance Card (Ehic) scheme – continue”.

The official summary says: "A UK national who is in an EU Member State for a holiday will have their necessary healthcare needs met for the period of their stay."

The Independent is trying to find out more, including when the scheme will start and how it will work.

Also read that French immigration are meant to ask non EU passport holders for proof of medical insurance, though they rarely do.

Unless it's just Boris borissing, this sounds hopeful.
For more than 40 years, British travellers have benefited from free or very low-cost medical treatment in the EU and its predecessor organisations. The European Health Insurance Card (Ehic) and the document it replaced, the E111, have proved extremely valuable for many elderly travellers, and/or people with pre-existing medical conditions.
Immediately after the Brexit deal was signed, No 10 said it would “ensure necessary healthcare provisions – akin to those provided by the European Health Insurance Card (Ehic) scheme – continue”.
The official summary says: "A UK national who is in an EU Member State for a holiday will have their necessary healthcare needs met for the period of their stay."
The Independent is trying to find out more, including when the scheme will start and how it will work.
Also read that French immigration are meant to ask non EU passport holders for proof of medical insurance, though they rarely do.
In fairness probably would be that difficult to set up, question would be whether it's reciprocated

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'm going on holiday anyway. EHIC would mean I wouldn't have to worry about massive medical bills on top of cancelled/postponed flights. If it all went pear shaped they could burn me and post me home in a jam jar for less than a fiver.

I posted my dad to another EU country in something not much bigger than a jam jar and it cost a lot more than a fiver. Even in the single market there are some things that need a bit of paperwork.

3 minutes ago, bendan said:

I posted my dad to another EU country in something not much bigger than a jam jar and it cost a lot more than a fiver. Even in the single market there are some things that need a bit of paperwork.

I'm going to Sicily, I'll slip one of the nurses 50 euros and a stamped address bubble wrapped envelope with a jam jar full of fag ash inside. Leave a note leaving my body to the local teaching hospital.  Always travel prepared.

Be interesting to see how it is viewed when the full details have been gone through by experts, Boris being over the moon with his deal but his record for understanding the detail of what he signs & later wants to change as he forgot to read it. Regardless of how happy westminster is still think the sooner we take control of our own affairs the better & let england sink or swim on their own as it has been shown we are not in an union of equals.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm going to Sicily, I'll slip one of the nurses 50 euros and a stamped address bubble wrapped envelope with a jam jar full of fag ash inside. Leave a note leaving my body to the local teaching hospital.  Always travel prepared.

My dad was always one for saving money, so when we discussed his last wishes he suggested I just take a 'wee bit' in a jam jar and not declare it. I didn't like the idea of sticking a spoon into the urn and then travelling with a small quantity of a powdery substance in my luggage!

5 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

....and in the context of Scottish politics what matters most to Laura's mob will be that Hector Brocklebank's no happy:

If they were going to make such a fuss about fishing they needed to deliver a lot more than they actually did. After the 5 years are up the EU fisheries access is effectively tied to other issues in the agreement now, so there will be opportunities for the EU to apply pressure again on an annual basis in exchange for concessions elsewhere that are viewed as more important to the overall UK economy with nothing guaranteed to the SFF in the longer term. 

Fishing was always an, erm, red herring, it was part of the emotional argument "we're an island nation" during the referendum but when you looked at it's actual portion of the GDP (0.1%) it was easy to shaft in the Deal incurring little financial consequences - was anyone surprised?

Apparently the Scottish Fishermen's Federation were. Well and truly kippered by Boris just like the DUP were before them, because they had an over-inflated sense of their own importance in the larger scheme of things. Good luck consistently getting those extra time-sensitive perishable items you can catch through Dover now there is all that extra paperwork even with a deal in place.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

11 minutes ago, bendan said:

My dad was always one for saving money, so when we discussed his last wishes he suggested I just take a 'wee bit' in a jam jar and not declare it. I didn't like the idea of sticking a spoon into the urn and then travelling with a small quantity of a powdery substance in my luggage!

Slightly different but when i went to sea in the mid 70s was on a passenger ship, thought it quite funny passengers after paying £1000s  for a cruise if they happened to pop their clogs during it they could either be buried at sea or if they wanted returned to home port the body was charged as cargo for the remainder of the cruise.

18 hours ago, sparky88 said:

Massive opportunity for NI. Wouldn't surprise me if businesses relocate to Belfast now

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55441508

Reaction to The Deal. In among the usual platitudes and sanctimonious pish, Colum Eastwood stands out like a proper politician.

Are we now looking at the possibility that NI will be the most prosperous part of the UK solely because it has stayed in the EU?
Thanks England.
It’s time for Scotland to go independent.
Absolutely, they have best of both worlds. Businesses will definitely be looking at relocation opportunities. Scottish Government should be shouting to hilt.