Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

9 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Agreed. 

But, just for the sake of argument, what's to stop Westminster from passing legislation that allows 'preferred' countries to dump any sort of crap onto our plates, whilst putting barriers up against less favoured nations?

I can think of one obvious way that the USA does this already, which the UK could adopt at a drop of a hat. US Gallons/Pints/Fluid Ounces anyone?

Not an expert, but I think the WTO would take a dim view.

Edited by welshbairn

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not an expert, but I think the WTO would take dim view.

Why?

Internal food labelling requirements are a matter for individual governments.

Currently, in general, EU import requirements require metric. Similarly, current US  import requirements require imperial.

I could take photographs of multiple imported Chinese ingredients in my essential Asian ingredients cupboard which have overlabeling to comply with current EU import requirements. 

Any government can put similar complex provisions in place, and can make them as simple or complex as they wish

Edited by lichtgilphead

6 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Why?

Internal food labelling requirements are a matter for individual governments.

Currently, in general, EU import requirements require metric. Similarly, current US  import requirements require imperial.

I could take photographs of multiple imported Chinese ingredients in my essential Asian ingredients cupboard which have overlabeling to comply with current EU import requirements. 

Any government can put similar complex provisions in place, and can make them as simple or complex as they wish

I think they'd treat as discriminating trade barrier if it's applied selectively.

7 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

I assume that you'll be imploring the WTO to take the USA to court for their current policy then?

Absolutely. Not sure where this is going though, if it's just a matter of different labels for exports to the UK I can't imagine many countries would have much trouble with that in the 2020s. 

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Absolutely. Not sure where this is going though, if it's just a matter of different labels for exports to the UK I can't imagine many countries would have much trouble with that in the 2020s. 

You would be surprised how many countries have problems with complying with current EU requirements! Imagine a situation where the UK government insisted on total compliance and strict enforcement. They could easily make importing product very difficult...

Different labelling requirements add to retail costs. The new UKMA safety mark will result in additional costs in GB (but maybe not NI), especially when standards inevitably starts to diverge from the current CE marking requirements

What planet are London media outlet people on when they frame stories as the EU will need to budge or it will be No deal? The UK is the smaller economy involved with more to lose, and it's quite possible that at least some EU leaders actually want a No Deal Brexit to severely mess up the UK pour discourager les autres.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

What planet are London media outlet people on when they frame stories as the EU will need to budge or it will be No deal? The UK is the smaller economy involved with more to lose, and it's quite possible that at least some EU leaders actually want a No Deal Brexit to severely mess up the UK pour discourager les autres.
I said the same the other day - it's complete and utter nonsense

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Where is that famous headline -

"Disaster at sea - Iceberg refused to move".

Assume now that yet again with today's #final, final, final' deadline...or mere hours to go, as Barnier put it a couple of days ago, that the 'final, final, final, final' date for a deal has been moved to......next Sunday?

6 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Everything is the EU’s fault. 

Tories are the best.

Austerity rules.

Boris is a hero.

The Telegraph.

I can imagine that being beastly to les rosbifs will be a massive votewinner in the banliues in a year and a half, sounds legit. 

Do these twats not even think before spreading the propaganda now? 

4 hours ago, virginton said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55389505

Contrary to the BBC's ridiculous grasp of agency, 'Dover' has halted f**k all: France has halted incoming traffic and so this drizzle bound failed state is cut off. 

Delicious realisation for that France can control their borders to keep out undesirables.

Edited by Theroadlesstravelled

6 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Everything is the EU’s fault. 

Tories are the best.

Austerity rules.

Boris is a hero.

The Telegraph.

Glad our leaders don't take ideological decisions that aren't in the country's interests to pander to the fanatics in their support. f**k knows what living in that kind of hellscape would be like.