Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

18 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

it seems a bit mental how little focus there was on N.Ireland/Republic prior to the Brexit referendum, can't remember it coming up much as a point of discussion. Post referendum I'm sure I caught a lot more news items on it...

I saw it discussed at the time, but during the referendum even guys like Farage were touting a soft "Norwegian" style Brexit where we'd be aligned with the Customs Union - it didn't become a real issue till TMs "red lines" meant taking us properly out.

Edited by btb

Shock news!

Boris Johnson has lowered his Brexit demands on Brussels by asking for up to 60% of catches in UK waters back from EU fishing fleets but the gap between the negotiators remains wide

The EU has so far offered the repatriation of 15%-18% of fishing catches

Split the difference?

No doubt comments like this will ensure we will get an excellent deal when we when current negotiations are all done and dusted. 

The education secretary, Gavin Williamson, has claimed the UK was the first country in the world to clinically approve a coronavirus vaccine because the country has “much better” scientists than France, Belgium or the US.

Williamson said he was not surprised the UK was the first to roll out the immunisation because “we’re a much better country than every single one of them”.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/dec/03/gavin-williamson-britains-a-much-better-country-than-all-of-them

6 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

No doubt comments like this will ensure we will get an excellent deal when we when current negotiations are all done and dusted. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/dec/03/gavin-williamson-britains-a-much-better-country-than-all-of-them

English exceptionalism at its finest. The only thing ‘britain’ is good at is being a fucking international laughing stock. Trump took the heat of the utter cluster f**k that is the UK post 2016 and when he goes in January the new thickest leader in the modern world title will lie with the gimp like p***k Boris. 

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

English exceptionalism at its finest. The only thing ‘britain’ is good at is being a fucking international laughing stock. Trump took the heat of the utter cluster f**k that is the UK post 2016 and when he goes in January the new thickest leader in the modern world title will lie with the gimp like p***k Boris. 

It's shit like this that has me asking myself almost on a daily basis if this is a country I want to continue to live in.

Asked whether Brexit was to credit for the world-first, Williamson told LBC radio station on Thursday: “Well I just reckon we’ve got the very best people in this country and we’ve obviously got the best medical regulators. Much better than the French have, much better than the Belgians have, much better than the Americans have. That doesn’t surprise me at all because we’re a much better country than every single one of them, aren’t we.

Aye small minded muppets who’ve never got over the fact the Empire is gone and we’re an insignificant island that no one cares about. The biggest cringe in this country is the amount of people who still drone on about the Wars. Get over it, it was a long time ago. Is there any other country that does this? Perhaps if we were taught the real history of the British Empire there’d be a few less flag wavers with misty eyed ideas of what Britannia truly stood for in the past.

3 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

Aye small minded muppets who’ve never got over the fact the Empire is gone and we’re an insignificant island...

On Brexit you also need to consider the City of London's very dubious global financial role through offshore tax havens like the Cayman Islands in the last remnants of Empire.

There were plenty of upper class spivs who wanted Brexit for reasons related to what's going on in the present day with that, who have managed to get large swathes of the manufacturing heartlands of England whose industries they largely asset stripped out of existance decades ago to vote for something that really wasn't in their best interests because small minded muppets...

6 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

The biggest cringe in this country is the amount of people who still drone on about the Wars. Get over it, it was a long time ago. Is there any other country that does this?

People on the continent drone on about the wars as well.  They see them as truly horrible events that they never want to experience again.

So instead of fighting each other, they choose to work together, trade together, co-operate and establish a level playing field to stop disputes escalating into hostilities between neighbours.

In fact there is an organisation that aims to do precisely this.  It is not perfect but it better than nothing.   If only I could remember the name.