Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Even if May's deal had passed parliament, there's no guarantee we'd be sitting here with it all done and dusted. The hard right Tory coup on their own party still happens imo.

We can argue all day about the motivations and priorities of the People's Vote/Stop Brexit folk. (Independence, removal of Corbyn). 

Blaming the People's Vote and other anti-Brexteers for the situation we now find ourselves in is disingenuous. Cameron made a damn fool mistake in agreeing to a referendum in the first place, and following that far too many people made complacent assumptions which backfired badly. Add to that the almost certain illegality involving Banks, Farage, Tice et al, never mind the dog-whistle racism throughout, and we were soon well down the road. And let us never forget the antipathy of the leader of the Labour Party to the EU which led to utter prevarication on the Opposition benches and a disastrous December 2019 electoral outcome.

Blaming the People's Vote and other anti-Brexteers for the situation we now find ourselves in is disingenuous. Cameron made a damn fool mistake in agreeing to a referendum in the first place, and following that far too many people made complacent assumptions which backfired badly. Add to that the almost certain illegality involving Banks, Farage, Tice et al, never mind the dog-whistle racism throughout, and we were soon well down the road. And let us never forget the antipathy of the leader of the Labour Party to the EU which led to utter prevarication on the Opposition benches and a disastrous December 2019 electoral outcome.

“Blaming the People’s Vote and other anti-Brexiteers is disingenuous”

*blames Corbyn*

30 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I shall remember this next time you're calling Sturgeon a bint for being too pally with financial services.

The point is the right wingers are fairly honest about what they want and can be opposed easily.

Sturgeon, Starmer, Blair, the Clintons and other third way ghouls find themselves in powerful positions to make sure the opposition to the right isn't really a opposition.

14 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I agree with this.  Cameron was an idiot and a chancer who was more concerned with his own party that the people he governed over.

He was surprised when the normally compliant media were on the other side but also by the lack of effort by the Labour Party.

I do blame Corbyn as well.  He seemed a nice guy with his heart in the right place and I suspect I would agree with him on a lot of things.  Also he seemed a breath of fresh air compared to his bland opponents.

However once Corbyn became leader he was constantly seen as weak, inept and wishy-washy.  Yes there was a hostile press but even without that he still seemed to dither on everything.

What was his stance on the EU?  Who knows.  Not very keen at the very least.  If he did campaign it was barely noticed.  A lot of Labour voters were left without direction.  Let's give Cameron a kicking.  Let's give Clegg another.  The council didn't empty my bin last week.

The referendum became a beauty contest between Cameron and Johnson and the serious issues were overlooked.

After that, any talk of a people's vote was seen as undemocratic.  We already had a vote - in 2016.

Johnson is now treating that vote as a blank cheque for any form of Brexit that he likes.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

Johnson is now treating that vote as a blank cheque for any form of Brexit that he likes.

Brexit is Johnson's get out of jail free card.

Covid-19 and his reaction to it has made him look like the politician that he's actually always been.....indecisive, vacuous and lazy. He's not a leader, never has been, never will be....and suddenly those that were fooled by his jovial buntering have woken to that fact. In a time of crisis, Johnson is the first man in the lifeboat and the last man you want to lead the country.

So he turns to what he is good at...right-wing populism. Brexit is a Godsend to the Tories at a time where they're under attack from all sides. Give the people what they want....some bland, meaningless phrases, attack immigration, and blame the EU for everything. Turn Brexit into a 'them and us', a 'victory or defeat' situation. 

That'll do it. 

30 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Covid-19 and his reaction to it has made him look like the politician that he's actually always been.....indecisive, vacuous and lazy. He's not a leader, never has been, never will be....and suddenly those that were fooled by his jovial buntering have woken to that fact. In a time of crisis, Johnson is the first man in the lifeboat and the last man you want to lead the country.

So he turns to what he is good at...right-wing populism. Brexit is a Godsend to the Tories at a time where they're under attack from all sides. Give the people what they want....some bland, meaningless phrases, attack immigration, and blame the EU for everything. Turn Brexit into a 'them and us', a 'victory or defeat' situation. 

That'll do it. 

I agree with you about Johnson.  Nothing more than an after-dinner speaker who is there to get a laugh but struggles with anything serious.

Brexit might work for the moment but at some point something has to change otherwise what was the point in doing it.

If things get worse, people will blame the EU, then blame them some more but eventually they will want someone to fix it.  I doubt Johnson will have a clue about that.

This is Theresa May's equivalent of grabbing the mace and swinging it at Boris's head.

The United Kingdom government signed the withdrawal agreement with the Northern Ireland protocol. This parliament voted that withdrawal agreement into UK legislation. The government is now changing the operation of that agreement. Given that, how can the government reassure future international partners that the UK can be trusted to abide by the legal obligations of the agreements it signs?

4 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

That'll do it. 

I think in terms of getting through the Brexit they wanted, Covid has been the godsend, rather than Brexit being the godsend for getting through Covid.

Had there been not much else to keep peoples attention elsewhere, the odds of them getting away with no deal are much longer. The scrutiny they'd have been under would have made it much more difficult. As it is, they can do pretty much all they want without worrying that it will remain front page news for more than a few hours.

I think in terms of getting through the Brexit they wanted, Covid has been the godsend, rather than Brexit being the godsend for getting through Covid.
Had there been not much else to keep peoples attention elsewhere, the odds of them getting away with no deal are much longer. The scrutiny they'd have been under would have made it much more difficult. As it is, they can do pretty much all they want without worrying that it will remain front page news for more than a few hours.
I think from here on in the pressure on Johnson and Co will begin to really ratchet up, and Covid-19 won't be the smokescreen they are hoping for. Already this week we've had a couple of revelations and a strong intervention from the hauliers, and it may only be a matter of time before the likes of Nissan or BMW sends a shot across their bows. It's all moving along nicely.

3 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I think from here on in the pressure on Johnson and Co will begin to really ratchet up, and Covid-19 won't be the smokescreen they are hoping for. Already this week we've had a couple of revelations and a strong intervention from the hauliers, and it may only be a matter of time before the likes of Nissan or BMW sends a shot across their bows. It's all moving along nicely.

I don't know. With Covid numbers increasing again the timing of a second lockdown could be incredibly fortunate in terms of keeping Brexit relegated from the top spot in  news coverage. The fact they are this close to a no deal Brexit is mental.

Edited by Ross.

9 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I don't know. With Covid numbers increasing again the timing of a second lockdown could be incredibly fortunate in terms of keeping Brexit relegated from the top spot in  news coverage. The fact they are this close to a no deal Brexit is mental.

Even if Brexit did not get reported at all that would not mean it will be painless.

6 minutes ago, Ross. said:

The media and opposition parties were inexplicably silent in the run up to the end of July, the last date allowable within the rules to apply for an extension to the transition period. I don't think Covid had taken their minds off it, just bored of taking about Brexit, and Labour happy to see the Tories make an almighty mess of it.