Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

15 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

Several pro-Brexit commentators are currently demanding an agreement with France to prevent asylum seekers setting off in dinghys in the channel.

Like with the EHIC card, I fail to see what possible motivation there is for the EU to accommodate it.

What is "go and take a flying f**k to yourself" in French?

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Academically Deficient said:

Several pro-Brexit commentators are currently demanding an agreement with France to prevent asylum seekers setting off in dinghys in the channel.

Like with the EHIC card, I fail to see what possible motivation there is for the EU to accommodate it.

What is "go and take a flying f**k to yourself" in French?

Project Fear. We’ll tell them what’s happening and that’s what’ll happen.

I think there might be scope for a Project Fear thread where we can list all the chickens as they come home to roost. The ‘border’ moving from Calais to Dover was definitely mentioned pre vote, as was most definitely the EHIC getting binned. Everyone knew what they were voting for, though, so not to worry.

13 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I think there might be scope for a Project Fear thread where we can list all the chickens as they come home to roost

Excellent idea. But It will still be damned Johnny Foreigner to blame, with his intransigence. 

Dont-you-know-who-I-am is always such a winning approach to take with people you need a favour from.

Edited by Academically Deficient

On 04/08/2020 at 20:12, Baxter Parp said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/04/number-of-uk-citizens-emigrating-to-eu-has-risen-by-30-since-brexit-vote

Number of UK citizens emigrating to EU has risen by 30% since Brexit vote
Exclusive: crisis has led to 500% increase in Britons taking up citizenship in an EU state

There are no negative consequences to this at all, of course.

Shit we might run out of people!

6 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I think there might be scope for a Project Fear thread where we can list all the chickens as they come home to roost. The ‘border’ moving from Calais to Dover was definitely mentioned pre vote, as was most definitely the EHIC getting binned. Everyone knew what they were voting for, though, so not to worry.

Good idea! If you don’t start the thread then I will! 

23 hours ago, RiG said:

The Telegraph, one of the main Brexit cheerleaders, demands we get to keep the EHIC.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/comment/ehic-card-loss-brexit-older-travellers/

I don't doubt the hypocrisy of The Telegraph, but isn't it actually a comment piece by Nick Trend rather than an editorial. I'm amazed by the fact comment pieces in newspapers are nowadays almost always seen as a paper's position, but maybe that's because I'm old enough to remember a time when it was quite common for papers to regularly present contrasting views on an issue. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, bendan said:

So to get to the current level, we would need, roughly, trade agreements with the EU, Australia, Japan and Canada?

The current percentage is trade with the EU and trade via deals struck with other countries by the EU, so I don't think it's as simple as that.

5 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

The current percentage is trade with the EU and trade via deals struck with other countries by the EU, so I don't think it's as simple as that.

That doesn't make sense. The picture you posted is ultra simplistic, so it actually is as simple as that.

Edited by bendan

2 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

So you think we'll get the same deals for the same goods and services as the EU then? Got to love an optimist.

You don't even understand what you yourself have posted! Hilarious.

No, I don't think we'll get 'the same deals for the same goods and services as the EU'. I'm in favour of staying in the EU, just not for the pishy CNN-graphic inspired reasons as you.

1 minute ago, bendan said:

You don't even understand what you yourself have posted! Hilarious.

No, I don't think we'll get 'the same deals for the same goods and services as the EU'. I'm in favour of staying in the EU, just not for the pishy CNN-graphic inspired reasons as you.

Yet you believe that deals with the EU, Australia, Japan and Canada would somehow make up the difference. Remarkable.

1 minute ago, Baxter Parp said:

Yet you believe that deals with the EU, Australia, Japan and Canada would somehow make up the difference. Remarkable.

So you're saying that if we signed FTAs with the EU, Japan, Canada and Australia, in addition to the trade agreements already made, it wouldn't cover roughly the same percentage of our trade as is currently covered by agreements? 

I've made no comment on whether I think we will make such agreements or not.

1 minute ago, bendan said:

So you're saying that if we signed FTAs with the EU, Japan, Canada and Australia, in addition to the trade agreements already made, it wouldn't cover roughly the same percentage of our trade as is currently covered by agreements? 

No, because it may not cover the same value or range of goods and services that the EU deals cover.