Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

From the BBC website:

He (Barnier) said no "significant progress" had been made this week, and insisted the UK "respect" negotiation rules.

But the UK said the talks had been "positive" and it remained "committed to a successful outcome".

That quote from the U.K. side is clear evidence that they are relying on the gammons to ignore the truth in pursuit of the end objective.

Heard someone saying that the Europeans think London is actively seeking a no deal Brexit and are intending to blame Brussels for it. The rules say any extension has to be agreed by the end of this month and there is no chance of getting a trade deal that normally takes many years done by New Year, especially with Covid.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Barnier calling out perfidious Albion again today. Johnson is due to join the negotiations soon, his Frankie Howerd schtick should go down a bomb.

That’s who he’s aiming for! Makes sense. He’s doing a bad Frankie Howerd impression but with a dash of Sid James’s cackling lechery, the sneering upper-crust tone of Kenneth Williams, and the collective racism and casual xenophobia of the 1970s. Naturally, he was neither the wit, talent, or comic timing of any of those men, though. I can also see Gove as Charles Hawtrey. Nice to see him married to Hattie Jacques.

Carry on Cunting.

With Boris’s arse on the line, you can guarantee there will be a cock-up. Etc.

25A54851-B3A0-4D97-9ACA-25FC52308D6E.jpeg

Edited by Antlion

3 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

IMG_0633.jpg
Remind me who was boasting of having an ‘oven ready deal’ with the EU last year!

You couldn’t make it up!

Erm, he clearly does!

On 07/06/2020 at 13:40, Dunfermline Don said:

IMG_0633.jpg
Remind me who was boasting of having an ‘oven ready deal’ with the EU last year!

You couldn’t make it up!

Is it the guys who sold this as the "easiest trade deal in history?"

Can anyone point me towards anything that was said before the Brexit referendum to convince voters to vote leave that was actually true?

17.4M people adamant they knew what they were voting for and claiming to have "won" and yet not 1 single truth was told prior to the vote.

If I was voting for something/someone and they told lie after lie to convince me by now I'd be keeping my head down and acting like I'm not 1 of the gullible.

29 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It seems slightly hypocritical that the EU are demanding that the UK takes existing and future State Aid rules into UK law at the exact moment Germany, France, Holland and others are giving massive handouts to favoured corporations.

Not quite as hypocritical as the UK claiming it wants to “take back control” of spending in the name of political, legal, and financial independence whilst refusing to countenance even allowing the people of Scotland to question their independence.

I was reading about the USA trade deal.   It sounds ominous. 

To make matters worse, the US is likely to insist that the deal is enforced by an offshore tribunal, which allows corporations to sue governments if domestic law affects their “future anticipated profits”. This mechanism has been used all over the world to punish nations for laws their parliaments have passed. It ensures that, over time, legislation everywhere has to be tailored to the demands of corporate power. Far from taking back control, a trade deal on these lines with the US involves a massive renunciation of sovereign power.

On 01/06/2020 at 19:28, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The lights are going out all over Europe as the continentals finally face up to a future without HP Sauce.

Nah.    We'll be be ok.  You Brits won't be able to afford it.   :whistle

"HP sauce now produced by the H. J. Heinz Company in the Netherlands."   (wikipedia)

eta        SD beat me to it.      For a while it was owned by a French company, Danone. Would have been even better.

Edited by cyderspaceman

8 hours ago, cyderspaceman said:

I was reading about the USA trade deal.   It sounds ominous. 

There will be many Leave voters genuinely surprised and concerned about this; at least the ones for whom it was not a knee jerk reaction.

There will be some Tory members and some MPs who will be equally surprised and concerned.  They’re the one who were not paying attention.

Johnson, Mogg, Rabb, Patel et al will be delighted.  This was the plan all along.  Tie a sovereign nation into a legally binding corporate deal.

The next non Tory U.K. government must have the balls to bin any such deal regardless of corporate threats.  I’m not sure they will.

There will be many Leave voters genuinely surprised and concerned about this; at least the ones for whom it was not a knee jerk reaction.
There will be some Tory members and some MPs who will be equally surprised and concerned.  They’re the one who were not paying attention.
Johnson, Mogg, Rabb, Patel et al will be delighted.  This was the plan all along.  Tie a sovereign nation into a legally binding corporate deal.
The next non Tory U.K. government must have the balls to bin any such deal regardless of corporate threats.  I’m not sure they will.
A serious question. The Covid-19 pandemic has surely, to quote a phrase, materially altered the wisdom of Brexit. What if Starmer was to go on the offensive and unequivocally declare that on careful consideration, and with regard to the welfare of every UK citizen, that a future Labour Government would, in the absence of refreshed consultation with the electorate, look to rescind the decision to leave and reapply for membership at the earliest opportunity ?

3 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Covid has turned Brexit into a suicide pill for whoever is in charge when it hits. We've just spent however many hundred billion on covid and will either need to spend similar amounts post brexit or endure austerity like none of us have seen in our lives. A not inconsiderable number of Tories are fine with this as they'll get filthy rich off their insider status anyway. It's in the interests of the SNP and Labour to let it happen even if this will mean literally millions if people will have life changing (negative) employment experiences once our already hammered economy is dunked by a further 8% or so. They can then ride to the rescue at the next election.

Might be too late though, if certain things really are unrescindable.