Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

It just seems mad that flying folk in from Eastern Europe can be cheaper in normal times but when so many folk have just lost their jobs it seems even stranger.

Tried to find a figure for wages. This is from The Grocer.

48 hours of hard labour for 500 quid and living in a shared caravan in the middle of nowhere which you have to pay rent on. And guaranteed unemployment in a few months. It's not hard to see why people choose Asda or Amazon. 

As for the employers even if they are paying £600-700 recruiting and flying in each worker it's probably only works out at a cost of £1 per hour worked which is still below where wages need to be attract British workers. 

19 minutes ago, Detournement said:

48 hours of hard labour for 500 quid and living in a shared caravan in the middle of nowhere which you have to pay rent on. And guaranteed unemployment in a few months. It's not hard to see why people choose Asda or Amazon. 

As for the employers even if they are paying £600-700 recruiting and flying in each worker it's probably only works out at a cost of £1 per hour worked which is still below where wages need to be attract British workers. 

Not many people at Asda earn £500 a week and they'll have to pay rent too. It's obviously not a career job. Better than most jobs for a school leaver or student looking to save up for travelling compared to the young person's minimum wage of £4.55 - £6.45.

Edited by welshbairn

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not many people at Asda earn £500 a week and they'll have to pay rent too. It's obviously not a career job.

Many people doing it for the first time, even if psychically fit are not going to be able to go fast enough to earn the higher wage.

1 minute ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Many people doing it for the first time, even if psychically fit are not going to be able to go fast enough to earn the higher wage.

Not for the first couple of weeks, no. You learn quick at that age if you're up for it and can bear the back pain till you get fit.

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not many people at Asda earn £500 a week and they'll have to pay rent too. It's obviously not a career job. Better than most jobs for a school leaver or student looking to save up for travelling compared to the young person's minimum wage of £4.55 - £6.45.

I think all the supermarkets pay the full minimum wage from 18 onwards. Farmers don't want 16 year olds anyway.

The extra £150 a week doesn't make up for no social life, living in a caravan and needing to find accommodation and a new job at the end of the season. Decent rented accommodation is hard to come by and UC is a nightmare with no money for 4 weeks. Having to do both simultaneously at the end of a seasonal job is a massive barrier. 

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I think all the supermarkets pay the full minimum wage from 18 onwards. Farmers don't want 16 year olds anyway.

The extra £150 a week doesn't make up for no social life, living in a caravan and needing to find accommodation and a new job at the end of the season. Decent rented accommodation is hard to come by and UC is a nightmare with no money for 4 weeks. Having to do both simultaneously at the end of a seasonal job is a massive barrier. 

I was 16 when I first went grape picking. Got the full whack and kept up with the pace after a week or so. Not everyone at that age are looking for long term jobs, some are just looking for some quick cash and there aren't that many quicker ways to get it when you're under 20 with no experience.

Edited by welshbairn

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I was 16 when I first went grape picking. Got the full whack and kept up with the pace after a week or so.

Without knowing how old you are and having never done berry picking in my life, I am confident in saying that the world and berry picking has changed since you did it. I would imagine the Eastern European regulars are quite comfortably faster than any student doing it for there first season

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

It just seems mad that flying folk in from Eastern Europe can be cheaper in normal times but when so many folk have just lost their jobs it seems even stranger.

Tried to find a figure for wages. This is from The Grocer.

Over a period of many years I have come into contact with a few farmers, cheapskate c***s to a man.  I wouldn’t work for these folk unless it was a total last resort.

The area where I live has quite a few seasonal fruit pickers, heard pretty bad stories about how they are treated, particularly in relation to the accommodation provided. 

Just now, Turkmenbashi said:

Without knowing how old you are and having never done berry picking in my life, I am confident in saying that the world and berry picking has changed since you did it. I would imagine the Eastern European regulars are quite comfortably faster than any student doing it for there first season

The regulars were mainly tramps and winos the first time, and a few French students, so you could be right. The second time it was a Spanish Romany clan who were fast as f**k but I didn't disgrace myself. We're talking late 70's but then as now probably the experienced hands get on to the carrying, transporting and processing leaving the back breaking work to the newbies. Loads of new machinery involved now so I don't have a clue about that.

35 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

This. 

If it was the 80s then Welsh Bairn would be making some good points but the realities of work and surviving on a low income have changed massively since then. 

I find it odd that, whenever the subject of fruit picking comes up, the discussion tends to revolve around how the job can be made more financially appealing to British citizens on low incomes.

Considering the people running the country, surely the main focus will become making these jobs impossible for the unemployed to turn down.

34 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I find it odd that, whenever the subject of fruit picking comes up, the discussion tends to revolve around how the job can be made more financially appealing to British citizens on low incomes.

Considering the people running the country, surely the main focus will become making these jobs impossible for the unemployed to turn down.

I can think of 17.4M people I'd make pick the fucking fruit.

2 hours ago, Hey! Ho! Jambo! said:

Our pleb tier citizens won't pick fruit but pleb tier from other loser countries will because it's still a decent wedge for them.

Bring em over, once the job is done send em home with money in their pocket.

Loser countries..

You ever been to Romania you ignorant c**t? Way better Health system than the UK amongst other factors. Housing in Bucharest at the same levels as parts of London.

You’ve probably never been out of the UK other than the occasional trip to Benidorm or Gibraltar.....

https://www.ft.com/content/57e4ef47-8589-4431-a4f4-36edc8c23a70

EU bars bailed-out companies from paying dividends and bonuses

Just why does big business back Brexit, I wonder?

The organisations predominantly affected are Financial Services, and that’s a sector that’s overwhelmingly pro Europe for obvious reasons....

On 18/04/2020 at 17:39, welshbairn said:

The regulars were mainly tramps and winos the first time, and a few French students, so you could be right. The second time it was a Spanish Romany clan who were fast as f**k but I didn't disgrace myself. We're talking late 70's but then as now probably the experienced hands get on to the carrying, transporting and processing leaving the back breaking work to the newbies. Loads of new machinery involved now so I don't have a clue about that.

2 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Loser countries..

You ever been to Romania you ignorant c**t? Way better Health system than the UK amongst other factors. Housing in Bucharest at the same levels as parts of London.

You’ve probably never been out of the UK other than the occasional trip to Benidorm or Gibraltar.....

About 80km away from you on the other side of the Danube. 

Apart from cafes, bars and restaurants being closed life is carrying on fairly normally for the vast majority of people.

As of today 894 confirmed cases, 259 currently hospitalised with 36 of them in intensive care. So far 42 people have died.

Not bad for a 'loser country' .

(The majority of the fruit pickers are likely to be Roma for whom the government have relaxed their no foreign travel rule in the hope they will miss the flight home)

About 80km away from you on the other side of the Danube.  Apart from cafes, bars and restaurants being closed life is carrying on fairly normally for the vast majority of people. As of today 894 confirmed cases, 259 currently hospitalised with 36 of them in intensive care. So far 42 people have died.

Not bad for a 'loser country' .

(The majority of the fruit pickers are likely to be Roma for whom the government have relaxed their no foreign travel rule in the hope they will miss the flight home)

Yep, mainly Roma or people from the small farms predominately in the North who only need to make a small amount of money to get by over the remainder of the year.

I’m guessing you are either in Giurgiu or Calarasi or more likely from your handle, in Northern Bulgaria? My only real knowledge of the latter is Plovdiv which I’ve been to a couple of times...

3 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Yep, mainly Roma or people from the small farms predominately in the North who only need to make a small amount of money to get by over the remainder of the year.

I’m guessing you are either in Giurgiu or Calarasi or more likely from your hand, in Northern Bulgaria?

Yep, in BG across the river and east a bit from Giurgiu.

Don't expect you'll know the answer to this but :- Any idea why Wizz have increased the number of flights between  Luton and Otopeni from 3 a day to 5 a day?  (wife had a flight booked for end of Feb but cancelled it. Out of curiosity we looked to see if it went and noticed the number of flights had increased).

Yep, in BG across the river and east a bit from Giurgiu.

Don't expect you'll know the answer to this but :- Any idea why Wizz have increased the number of flights between  Luton and Otopeni from 3 a day to 5 a day?  (wife had a flight booked for end of Feb but cancelled it. Out of curiosity we looked to see if it went and noticed the number of flights had increased).

“APR 18, 2020, 09:00

“Wizz Air, the largest low-cost airline in Central and Eastern Europe, announced today that several routes to and from Romania remain suspended. The routes to France and Germany are suspended until 3 May. The routes to Netherlands, Switzerland and UK are suspended until 30 April. The measure is due to the extension of the travel restrictions imposed by Romanian authorities on all flights from Romania to these countries in the efforts to limit the Covid-19 pandemic.”

I’m going to guess that they have simply moved any flights due to fly out in April into May on the assumption that the lockdowns will ease. I wouldn’t be confident that it will though.....