Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, Pet Jeden said:

Naturally, I'll resist the cheap "and rules must be obeyed" gag that you've set up there. But do tell me, precisely what rule is it that you know restricts the UK to exactly 1100 haulage licenses? I've got a sneaking suspicion you don't have a scooby - you're just guessing. But you are inclined to believe all EU actions are reasonable and all UK actions are unreasonable.

We are no longer a member of the EU. There is no requirement for them to grant us any licenses. The fact they have chosen 1100 is neither here nor there, they would have been entitled to make that number anywhere between 0 and infinity if they so chose.

I don't think it is particularly helpful for either side to take an extreme stance. I can, however, completely understand the stance of the EU. It has been consistent since day 1. The UK is no longer a member of the EU and as such will be treated like every other non-member until a deal is agreed. It's not hard to understand, and is, in fact, a perfectly reasonable stance. The UK's choice to try to get the best possible deal is an equally reasonable stance, but constant accusations of spite and mistreatmeant at the hands of the EU are neither helpful nor accurate.

9 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

We are no longer a member of the EU. There is no requirement for them to grant us any licenses. The fact they have chosen 1100 is neither here nor there, they would have been entitled to make that number anywhere between 0 and infinity if they so chose.

I don't think it is particularly helpful for either side to take an extreme stance. I can, however, completely understand the stance of the EU. It has been consistent since day 1. The UK is no longer a member of the EU and as such will be treated like every other non-member until a deal is agreed. It's not hard to understand, and is, in fact, a perfectly reasonable stance. The UK's choice to try to get the best possible deal is an equally reasonable stance, but constant accusations of spite and mistreatmeant at the hands of the EU are neither helpful nor accurate.

I don't know what restrictions control the EU in granting these licenses. I don't think you do either. But let's say you are right and they could choose anything between 0 and infinity. There are already 76,000 of these things.  If they choose 0 (or even 1100) you don't think that's likely to be out of spite? How naive.

It will be resolved at the 11th hour, because otherwise this administration is probably likely to go nuclear and respond in kind. Not quite as drastic as mutually assured destruction. More like mutually assured constipation at the ports.

7 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm loving this bit. The trade deal proposed by the Tories with the USA will increase the UK economy.....in a best case scenario....by a massive 0.16%

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/mar/02/brexit-uk-sets-out-its-ambitions-for-trade-deal-with-us-while-refusing-to-back-trumps-claim-of-massive-potential-benefits-live-news

7 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Totally worth cratering the UK economy by 8% if WTO happens

Forecasts - pffft. I take it you two didn't vote Yes in the Indyref because you were scared off by The Treasury's forecasts?

For most people these things aren't really about being 5% richer or poorer.

Edited by Pet Jeden

7 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Forecasts - pffft. I take it you two didn't vote Yes in the Indyref because you were scared off by The Treasury's forecasts?

For the hardcore Natters and the hardcore Unionists they are not, either way.

For the 'sticky middle' then 5% is the difference between liquid and illiquid..  Ask Mr Micawber.  This is the moment on which Independence may turn.  Prosper under Brexit or not.

Guest Bob Mahelp
8 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

Britain is already a poorer place.....both economically and socially.....for the madness of the Brexit vote. GDP has flatlined, the economy has stalled, instances of racism have soared, and the lunatics are battering on the door of the asylum.

Can you honestly say you think things will improve over the next 5 to 10 years ?

56 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I voted yes and would do so again because I'm Scottish.

A lot of people were put off by those forecasts. People were scared of another 2008. The economy in 2008 dropped by 2% and we're still living with the effects. 8% is not something most of us will have experienced in our lifetimes.

46 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Britain is already a poorer place.....both economically and socially.....for the madness of the Brexit vote. GDP has flatlined, the economy has stalled, instances of racism have soared, and the lunatics are battering on the door of the asylum.

Can you honestly say you think things will improve over the next 5 to 10 years ?

You two prove my point. You did ignore forecasts for indyref. But you don’t ignore forecasts for Brexit. So, forecasts are trotted out if they back up your standpoint but they are swept under the carpet if they don’t. But your standpoint is already pre-formed, based on something more like gut instinct. More the heart than the head. Maybe a whole life’s accumulated experiences subconsciously distilled into a standpoint.

As I said, forecasts pffft

Edited by Pet Jeden

40 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Pet Jeden strikes me as the sort who is "sick of experts"

Depends. Who commissioned the work and what was the brief?  Who is interpreting/presenting the results and to what is their angle? What proportion of other experts agree?

You strike me as the sort wide-eyed gullible who is easily swayed by a tabloid headline (or P&B hand-wringing post) declaring the end of the world is nigh.

7 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Depends. Who commissioned the work and what was the brief?  Who is interpreting/presenting the results and to what is their angle? What proportion of other experts agree?

You strike me as the sort wide-eyed gullible who is easily swayed by a tabloid headline (or P&B hand-wringing post) declaring the end of the world is nigh.

Il be fine m9. I have my finances sorted and have learned how to make bread and beer in preparation for the purge. 

46 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Il be fine m9. I have my finances sorted and have learned how to make bread and beer in preparation for the purge. 

If the end of the world is nigh, I don't think a defensive investment portfolio, a couple of sourdough loafs and a flagon of real ale is going to save you.

56 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
58 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:
If the end of the world is nigh, I don't think a defensive investment portfolio, a couple of sourdough loafs and a flagon of real ale is going to save you.

But my demise will be much more fun than yours.

Fun? Counting your money and drinking crap beer?  Your parties must be a barrel of laughs.

7 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

If you're nibbling and sipping at your own beer and bread while making it you'll be well purged.