Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

You know what he meant though. If you wilfully miss the point to make finger steepling "actually up is down" points don't be surprised if people take the piss.

He is probably advising Russians not to visit Berwick on Tweed.

Britain puts limits on EU workers coming to the UK and doing jobs its citizens could be doing - taking back control.

EU puts limits on British workers going to the EU and doing jobs its citizens could be doing - spiteful and harmful.

Right you are, hauliers!

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Britain puts limits on EU workers coming to the UK and doing jobs its citizens could be doing - taking back control.

EU puts limits on British workers going to the EU and doing jobs its citizens could be doing - spiteful and harmful.

Right you are, hauliers!

A funny point and almost a valid point. Almost.

Freedom of movement of resident workers will be controlled by both the UK and the EU. If you are an internationalist or a free-marketeer you can certainly argue that this is a very bad thing. But stopping lorries from doing through journeys (by strangulation through licensing) is just daft. It is indeed spiteful and harmful. And I think, underneath your wise-crack, you'll recognise it as such. It is not something the UK was contemplating doing to the far bigger number of EU lorries delivering to the UK. But I'm sure it can be done. It just means there will need to be huge transfer lorry parks at the points of entry. Lots of jobs, I suppose, but very inefficient. And when we "take back control" as an independent Scotland,  we can have these muckle great transfer lorry parks at Gretna and Eyemouth and maybe Stranraer.  Great, eh Mark?

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Is it or are there particular reasons for it? As I said the other day, you're at risk of being guilty of what you've spent weeks carping at others for doing on here.

I haven't researched the topic at all so I have no idea what the reason is either way.

I am a haulier, mate. Of fish. With a degree in the history of Hibs 1891-1893. And a nose for sniffing out faux-Spanish posters.

What dont you understand about about leaving the eu so then it now means you dont have the same rights of access that you had when we were members?
Simply put if you joined a gym then stopped paying the membership fee would you still be able to use that gym?

I am a haulier, mate. Of fish. With a degree in the history of Hibs 1891-1893. And a nose for sniffing out faux-Spanish posters.

53 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

You could just answer the question with facts like you demand of others.

Fair do's. I can't prove spitefulness. But also,  I'll wait in vain for Mark to prove EU good intentions.

What I can see is only 15-17% of UK road tonnage exports/imports were being moved by UK hauliers in 2015. So I presume if/when the UK responds in kind by choking off EU hauliers then it's bonanza time for the UK hauliers. So,if you want to make a killing lease yourself a Volvo truck pronto and get yourself an HGV license and a "Blades"  or "Hammers" tattoo on your forearm.

28 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

So do we know why the licenses are so restricted? Is this something that happens on other borders with the EU?

I remember the UK pushing for restrictions when diesel was much cheaper on the Continent than here, so drivers would come over on full tanks and nick work before returning. Don't think that applies anymore.

9 hours ago, Detournement said:

How did Glasgow lose 24,000 jobs due to Brexit?

Fair question. Glasgow accounts for 80% of the total in Scotland and there ought to be some logic to that.  I can't see any and in the absence of same, some breakdown on the big numbers would be helpful. Fall in foreign investment and the council estimates for example. 

21 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

Fair do's. I can't prove spitefulness. But also,  I'll wait in vain for Mark to prove EU good intentions.

What I can see is only 15-17% of UK road tonnage exports/imports were being moved by UK hauliers in 2015. So I presume if/when the UK responds in kind by choking off EU hauliers then it's bonanza time for the UK hauliers. So,if you want to make a killing lease yourself a Volvo truck pronto and get yourself an HGV license and a "Blades"  or "Hammers" tattoo on your forearm.

Why is there an onus on me to "prove good intentions"?

The EU is enforcing its own rules that would apply to any other non-member country, and will no doubt continue to do so until a deal is agreed.

Seems a bit arbitrary and back of an envelope down the pub to me. First three assumptions..

1. The employer’s business has been significantly affected by sterling’s devaluation, either immediately through rises in the cost of imported inputs or later by inflation passed on by those who were so affected. What about companies exporting with few imported inputs, and those benefiting from tourism? The net impact needs to be taken into account.

2. Government austerity cuts are attributed to Brexit since Britain voted to remain the EU, austerity would have been lifted instead of deepened. If anything debt reduction targets were eased to compensate for Brexit uncertainty.

3. Barring other obvious explanations businesses that were doing okay but experienced a significant slowdown after the Brexit vote are deemed to have been impacted by Brexit. Cheeky assumption, companies falter for a myriad of reasons.

P.S. Watt Brothers is claimed as a Glaswegian victim of Brexit. The firm made no mention of it, main cause being competition from online retailers.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/oct/18/scottish-department-store-watt-brothers-closes

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Yeah it's very dubious, sorry for linking it.

If that had been a Leaver linking something so flaky the site would have gone into meltdown, quite frankly.

Ludicrous piece of "information", worthy of the WRJFA in the ongoing debate about entering the pyramid.

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Why is there an onus on me to "prove good intentions"?

The EU is enforcing its own rules that would apply to any other non-member country, and will no doubt continue to do so until a deal is agreed.

Naturally, I'll resist the cheap "and rules must be obeyed" gag that you've set up there. But do tell me, precisely what rule is it that you know restricts the UK to exactly 1100 haulage licenses? I've got a sneaking suspicion you don't have a scooby - you're just guessing. But you are inclined to believe all EU actions are reasonable and all UK actions are unreasonable.