Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Maybe build some infrastructure on the east coast? The lack of it currently is surely an argument that Scotland has been neglected in favour of the South East of Great Britain? 

Why do all our EU exports have to go through England?

Is this a serious question? 

Assuming it is: gravity. 

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

Two fair points and well made.

Imagine the outrage if the same controls were placed on Scottish hauliers going through England to the EU post Independence.

But still.  The SNP has a government-supported ferry company gearing up to transit goods by sea.

The Scottish Government have tried over the years to support exports through Rosyth but, for reasons I don't understand, exporters seem to still find it cheaper or quicker or more convenient to drive stuff down to Hull or the Channel ports.

7 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Is it an admin thing? What kind of checks are involved?

Oh, I'm sure there will be a rationale that someone will be just about be able to keep a straight face and defend. Best reason would be that it is to limit the environmental impact of long distance lorrying from Russia and the likes. But it will be petulance and protectionism. And whatever the logic will be applicable in reverse - "you started it"

1 minute ago, Pet Jeden said:

Oh, I'm sure there will be a rationale that someone will be just about be able to keep a straight face and defend. Best reason would be that it is to limit the environmental impact of long distance lorrying from Russia and the likes. But it will be petulance and protectionism. And whatever the logic will be applicable in reverse - "you started it"

We say we'll go on wto terms in june cos we're not bothered.  Clear implication is that there's nothing they can give us we can't get elsewhere. 

They say: permits? You going to get these from America? Eh? 

This shite is going to get old really quickly. 

19 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

What's 1/11 got to do with it? If 100,000 applications were made that would more petulant? If there were 5,000 they'd be less petulant? 

Have you got a % in mind of how many UK applications should be accepted as a ratio of the total submitted? 

Ireland? 10? Do you know basic arithmetic? I'm more interested in how many China get 'pro-rata' anyway.

Was thinking 4-5m pop out of 600m. Rounded.  What were you thinking 1/27th? (Good luck to Ireland getting France to agree that). But even 1/27th of 1000 is a mess at Dublin's port. But go on, Pythagoras. Dazzle me with you maths.

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

We say we'll go on wto terms in june cos we're not bothered.  Clear implication is that there's nothing they can give us we can't get elsewhere. 

They say: permits? You going to get these from America? Eh? 

This shite is going to get old really quickly. 

If the EU wants to be petulant there is definitely plenty they can do to cause damage. But that's nothing to do with the break up of a union, more economic warfare. If they make it painful enough I would hazard a guess - and this might be a tad controversial - a decent chunk of the UK electorate would be quite happy to apply to be the 51st US state. I'm guessing that's not the EU's strategic goal though.

4 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

If the EU wants to be petulant there is definitely plenty they can do to cause damage. But that's nothing to do with the break up of a union, more economic warfare. If they make it painful enough I would hazard a guess - and this might be a tad controversial - a decent chunk of the UK electorate would be quite happy to apply to be the 51st US state. I'm guessing that's not the EU's strategic goal though.

Not sure why you think we should get a better deal than, say, Egypt, another third country across the sea from the EU. We have made a deliberate choice to give up members' rights, and stop paying our membership fees. What did you expect? Free access at the weekend?

2 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

I think you are anthopomorhising an organisation too much. 

You are ascribing emotional causes to acts that are clearly driven by a systemic imperative. 

The EUs constitution requires self preservation. If leaving is painless then other countries will leave. 

They could probably survive your Denmarks and Swedens leaving. Netherlands and Austria have a strong nationalist right, and are in the eurozone. The Eurozone needs to stay intact (except they could maybe lose greece) or the edifice will crumble. 

A uk centric view is too narrow to understand the eus motives. Think of it as operation don't encourage the Dutch. 

40 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not sure why you think we should get a better deal than, say, Egypt, another third country across the sea from the EU. We have made a deliberate choice to give up members' rights, and stop paying our membership fees. What did you expect? Free access at the weekend?

Absolutely no danger of them making that too hard. If me and Mrs Pet ditch Euro-hols and she stops buying all those fkn pressies to bring home, the EU's GDP is going to take some hit.

48 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I think you are anthopomorhising an organisation too much. 

You are ascribing emotional causes to acts that are clearly driven by a systemic imperative. 

The EUs constitution requires self preservation. If leaving is painless then other countries will leave. 

They could probably survive your Denmarks and Swedens leaving. Netherlands and Austria have a strong nationalist right, and are in the eurozone. The Eurozone needs to stay intact (except they could maybe lose greece) or the edifice will crumble. 

A uk centric view is too narrow to understand the eus motives. Think of it as operation don't encourage the Dutch. 

The EU is a peace movement and that trumps everything. The UK will use this to their advantage. 

4 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

So the UK or least England is going to become the 51st state of the union.

That's awesome man simply awesome.

A few rules to start with.

No more Queen.  No monarchy at all.  And she ain't gonna be head of state.  Already got one.

No more bank notes with her face on.  Just good ole greenbacks like everyone else.

Oh and no "God save the Queen".  Time to learn the "Star spangled banner" and sing it three times a day.

Forget the Union Jack unless it is flying under the Star and Stripes.  And you will need to start practicing your pledge of allegiance.

Maybe you will have to switch to driving on the right and using the correct plugs for electricity.  I am not sure.

Probably some stuff but I will need to think.

Oh but you can keep saying "take back control" if you like.  Sounds kinda sweet to me. 

6 hours ago, Fullerene said:

No more Queen.  No monarchy at all.  And she ain't gonna be head of state.  Already got one.

No more bank notes with her face on.  Just good ole greenbacks like everyone else.

Oh and no "God save the Queen".  Time to learn the "Star spangled banner" and sing it three times a day.

Forget the Union Jack unless it is flying under the Star and Stripes.  And you will need to start practicing your pledge of allegiance.

Maybe you will have to switch to driving on the right and using the correct plugs for electricity.  I am not sure.

Oh but you can keep saying "take back control" if you like.  Sounds kinda sweet to me. 

But on the plus side, we'll get blue passports.

7 hours ago, Fullerene said:

If it means I can get an AK-47 and some Grits I'm all in.

13 hours ago, Fullerene said:

5 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

If it means I can get an AK-47 and some Grits I'm all in.

I could get one legally then if that happened...