Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Guest Bob Mahelp
31 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

AfD, Front National, Fidesz, Vlaams Belang, among many many more. 

These are all extremist movements with minimal support. 

There is no EU country where a majority of the electorate wish to leave the EU. No matter what the Express or Telegraph tell you. 

Don't deny that there are some seriously nasty right wing movements which are clearly anti-immigration out there. Difference to the UK however is that none of them have sufficient traction to get a Referendum on the EU off the ground, and even if they did, mid-60s% support for Remain across the continent suggests that they wouldn't achieve a similar result to here.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Never go clubbing with a lawyer during the festive period.

On 23/12/2019 at 11:26, Jedi said:

Absolutely. How often have we heard that the 'European project is going to fall apart in the next few years anyway'. It really is incredible that out of 28 countries only one has any appetite to leave the EU, and also the fact that 'its immigration in' it', despite the fact that every one of the 28 has freedom of movement, yet no agitation elsewhere to actually end such movement.

I was surprised to read that a survey by the LSE showed that Western European countries had the highest opposition to Freedom of Movement, the UK was at 27.3%, Austria 27%, Denmark 25%, Italy 20%, Belgium 20%, in contrast Eastern European countries were at 3%.

As I said this did surprise me however this is just one survey and I feel the figures are too high, there is always opposition to change as we know.

19 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

I was surprised to read that a survey by the LSE showed that Western European countries had the highest opposition to Freedom of Movement, the UK was at 27.3%, Austria 27%, Denmark 25%, Italy 20%, Belgium 20%, in contrast Eastern European countries were at 3%.

As I said this did surprise me however this is just one survey and I feel the figures are too high, there is always opposition to change as we know.

Not entirely surprised at Austria figuring so highly there. I know a few Austrians and they all seem to lament the absence of a strong leader who can return them to what they see as their rightful place atop the throne of Europe.

Not entirely surprised at Austria figuring so highly there. I know a few Austrians and they all seem to lament the absence of a strong leader who can return them to what they see as their rightful place atop the throne of Europe.
Denazification in Austria was a very limited process - there has been a consistent narrative of Austria being the victim when the reality is that they were very much an active participant in the Axis.

20 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
32 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Denazification in Austria was a very limited process - there has been a consistent narrative of Austria being the victim when the reality is that they were very much an active participant in the Axis.

Feel the need to add here, this has nothing to do with Denazification, they are much closer to the Union flag waving, last night of the proms loving, misguided British nationalist who thinks Britannia still rules the waves than they are to the National Front/BNP type nationalists.

Edited by Ross.

This wouldn't surprise me at all. Western Europe = promised land. Eastern Europe = shite hole

22 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Feel the need to add here, this has nothing to do with Denazification, they are much closer to the Union flag waving, last night of the proms loving, misguided British nationalist who thinks Britannia still rules the waves than they are to the National Front/BNP type nationalists.

Sebastian Kurz and his pals in the Freedom Party sound a bit more extreme than the last night of the proms, old fashioned tory types. Looks like one of the Boys from Brazil too.

48598070_303.jpg

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Sebastian Kurz and his pals in the Freedom Party sound a bit more extreme than the last night of the proms, old fashioned tory types. Looks like one of the Boys from Brazil too.

48598070_303.jpg

Got the year end party in a couple of weeks, will need to push them on the subject and see if they are perhaps a tad more extreme than they let on. From the conversations I have had they are more the dreamy types who feel Vienna is the pinnacle of modern society and Austria just needs a bit of a shake to turn itself back to what it was. They are definitely pro EU and immigration, that much I do know.

14 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Got the year end party in a couple of weeks, will need to push them on the subject and see if they are perhaps a tad more extreme than they let on. From the conversations I have had they are more the dreamy types who feel Vienna is the pinnacle of modern society and Austria just needs a bit of a shake to turn itself back to what it was. They are definitely pro EU and immigration, that much I do know.

Staying in a hotel in Vienna run by refugees during the Euros, so I'll take notes.

https://www.magdas-hotel.at/

In the latter part of the 20th centiry, the "victim theory" was a key myth of Austrian society. It made it possible for previously bitter political opponents – the Austrian People's Party (Christian Democrats) and the Social Democratic Party of Austria – to unite and to bring former Nazis back to the social and political life of Austria. For large part of the last century, the Austrian state denied any continuity of the political regime of 1938–1945, actively kept up the self-sacrificing myth of Austrian nationhood, and cultivated a conservative spirit of national unity.

Veterans of the Wehrmacht and the Waffen-SS took an honorable place in society. It was only with the election of Kurt Waldheim, as a federal president that Austria began to address the adherence to 'victim theory' because it was on the verge of international isolation. It's part of the reason that the Freedom Party has risen as the Christian and Social Democrats have abandoned the view that Austria needs to take its so-called rightful place on the world stage.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
1 hour ago, Ross. said:

As was Hungary and Rumania.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

As I mentioned I was surprised given that other than the UK the other countries mentioned are on the Continent where since the last war movement across borders was accepted, Germany for instance, owing to massive male losses in the war, imported huge numbers of Yugoslavs and Turks for industrial work, once Germany stabilised they were offered 10,000 Marks each to return to their own country, some did and moved to Sweden.

54 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Staying in a hotel in Vienna run by refugees during the Euros, so I'll take notes.

https://www.magdas-hotel.at/

Who runs it the rest of the time?

30 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Go easy on the Sacher Torte.

Sacher Torte is over rated. Strudel with vanilla sauce on the other hand is absolutely f*cking supreme.