Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

19 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Why aren't you sure?

That's a fair point. Not sure why I'm not sure.  So a quick google  - says the term "hostile environment" was coined by the Gordon Brown government. And the Home Office thought in 2014 that pre-1973 Commonwealth citizens were protected from removal. And when it did finally make the news - too late for many- I don't recall any government effort to justify the policy

EU27 failed to agree length of extension (ooer) this morning, so likely put off till Monday. Seems I was prescient for a change.

On 23/10/2019 at 13:00, welshbairn said:

Think we're down to the EU not saying what extension they'll offer until the UK tell them what it's for, and the UK not deciding what they'll do until they know how long they're getting, if at all.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Labour are terrified of a GE because they know that on the one hand, in the House of Commons, they have the Tories by the balls, but on the other hand in their working class constituencies.....they're fucked. 

Johnson's deliberate and shameless populism means that the Tories simply have to be a single issue party to scoop up vast amounts of votes in Labour heartlands. 

I can't see a way for Labour to escape this....other than hoping that the Brexit Party split the Gammon vote (and I have my doubts that this will happen).

We've hit a stalemate point here I fear. 

Labour are terrified of a GE because they know that on the one hand, in the House of Commons, they have the Tories by the balls, but on the other hand in their working class constituencies.....they're fucked. 
Johnson's deliberate and shameless populism means that the Tories simply have to be a single issue party to scoop up vast amounts of votes in Labour heartlands. 
I can't see a way for Labour to escape this....other than hoping that the Brexit Party split the Gammon vote (and I have my doubts that this will happen).
We've hit a stalemate point here I fear. 
There is a way, and it is to replace Corbyn with Starmer or Thornberry - in my opinion that would equate to 8/10 per cent in the polls.

It won't happen though, and as long as McLuskey, Lavery, etc., call the shots. Labour is like the driver who knows the oil pump is gubbed but drives on regardless until there is a huge BANG.

28 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

For me, there's no real confusion to my mind where on the left-right spectrum deporting black British citizens is, mainly because it was a stated policy aim of the BNP. So since they're far right, I'd call doing that thing far right.

What defined BNP is their hostility to immigrants and non-white Britons.  Not particularly free-market right wing policies. Their Environment policy could have been The Green Party's. Health and Housing policies could be Labour's - just that they they would exclude all non-whites from benefiting from or providing same! And of course, you know what background they got most of their support from. So, no, I don't think racism can simply be pigeon-holed as a right wing thing.

10 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Why is putting ourselves into a position where we are going to beholden to even worse extreme regimes like USA and China a better solution?

Dealing with them will be tough. But we are not actually applying to become the 35th province of China or the 51st state of the USA, are we?

What defined BNP is their hostility to immigrants and non-white Britons.  Not particularly free-market right wing policies. Their Environment policy could have been The Green Party's. Health and Housing policies could be Labour's - just that they they would exclude all non-whites from benefiting from or providing same! And of course, you know what background they got most of their support from. So, no, I don't think racism can simply be pigeon-holed as a right wing thing.
This makes no sense.

13 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:
30 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

This makes no sense.

Don't you worry your pretty little head about it.

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

What's it like never persuading anyone on anything when you have such strong convictions?

Actually, I don't have particularly strong convictions. But I do enjoy pointing out the contradictions of party sheep who just parrot their chosen party line without the slightest bit of independent thought or questioning. I don't expect to change the minds of people who get off on reinforcing their own opinions by communicating in a loop of like-minded people - a big downside of the social media age.

I see the EU are running out of patience with us, realising there's no point in agreeing deals with the UK govt. if said deal can't be passed at Westminster.

EU delays decision on Brexit extension until MPs vote on election

Offer is now expected to be made only days before UK is due to leave EU on 31 October

Starting to feel like the beginning of the End Game....

6 minutes ago, btb said:

I see the EU are running out of patience with us, realising there's no point in agreeing deals with the UK govt. if said deal can't be passed at Westminster.

Starting to feel like the beginning of the End Game....

If Labour don't agree to an election, could we be in no deal or revoke territory on Tues 29th? Or scrambling to pass the paused legislation in a 48 hour window.

Edited by Pet Jeden