Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

5 minutes ago, sjc said:

So you pick and choose the democratic vote to suit yourself? Sounds fair....

FWIW: I'd have voted remain myself but to ignore the reasons behind the results is akin to that of Trump being elected. 

As far as I'm concerned England voted to Leave - Scotland voted by a substantial majority to Remain.

The DUP won't vote for the deal in parliament. They will not tolerate anything that aligns them to or associates them more closely with the Republic of Ireland. This is Ian Paisley's old party, who famously burned an effigy of Margaret Thatcher and prayed for vengeance against her for doing a deal with the Republic, and bellowed "never never never" to any association with them.

1 minute ago, milhouse said:

The DUP won't vote for the deal in parliament. They will not tolerate anything that aligns them to or associates them more closely with the Republic of Ireland. This is Ian Paisley's old party, who famously burned an effigy of Margaret Thatcher and prayed for vengeance against her for doing a deal with the Republic, and bellowed "never never never" to any association with them.

He also shook hands with Martin McGuiness. Folk can be fickle. 

7 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

As far as I'm concerned England voted to Leave - Scotland voted by a substantial majority to Remain.

Scotland hasn't voted in the previous 3 (or is it 4?) Governments......but that's not how the UK constitution  works unfortunately.

I believe that Scotland voted no overall in the 1974 referendum to join the EU......so how does that play out?

9 minutes ago, milhouse said:

Not so.

And it was never, never, never, never.

11 minutes ago, milhouse said:

Shame that the Chuckle Brothers are no longer with us.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/how-martin-mcguinness-and-ian-paisley-forged-an-unlikely-friendship-35550640.html

So you pick and choose the democratic vote to suit yourself? Sounds fair....
FWIW: I'd have voted remain myself but to ignore the reasons behind the results is akin to that of Trump being elected. 
So, to quote Phillipa Whitfield last night, you come across someone about to seriously self-harm themself and you simply walk past urging them to fill your boots. Sometimes people about to make disastrous decisions need to be counselled and quietly encouraged to reconsider.

Apparently that's exactly what happened when Gordon Brown issued his now-notorious Vow and Ruth Davidson brayed about EU membership, so if this Brexit disaster comes to pass the Scottish electorate is ideally placed to make their own decisions free from the input of liars and frauds.

Remember, this current situation does not have its origins in Scotland but Scotland stands to be hammered, so we'll not be taking any lectures on democracy thanks.

9 minutes ago, sjc said:

Scotland hasn't voted in the previous 3 (or is it 4?) Governments......but that's not how the UK constitution  works unfortunately.

I believe that Scotland voted no overall in the 1974 referendum to join the EU......so how does that play out?

It was 1975 and it was to remain in the EU, and no, it didn't.

All constituent parts of the UK voted Yes in 1975.

2 minutes ago, sjc said:

I stand corrected. 

No, I think you're right, at least as far as the 1975 referendum was concerned.

It's so long ago now, I'd forgotten how that referendum panned out.

The geography of Euroscepticism was also very different. In 1975 it was England – especially the south of England – that was most staunchly European. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland were much more sceptical; indeed, the nightmare for Unionists was that England would vote to stay in, while the rest of the UK voted to leave. In 2016, Nicola Sturgeon has become a key figure in the Remain campaign; in 1975, a young Alex Salmond warned that “Scotland knows from bitter experience what treatment is in store for a powerless region of a common market”.

3 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

No, I think you're right, at least as far as the 1975 referendum was concerned.

Results by United Kingdom constituent countries[edit]

Constituent country Electorate Turnout (%) Yes No
Votes % Votes %
England 33,356,208 64.6% 14,918,009 68.7% 6,812,052 31.3%
Wales 2,011,136 66.7% 869,135 64.8% 472,071 35.2%
Scotland 3,688,799 61.7% 1,332,186 58.4% 948,039 41.6%
Northern Ireland 1,030,534 47.4% 259,251 52.1% 237,911 47.9%

2 hours ago, btb said:

Re the post above about demographics in NI, if the trend between 2001 & 2011 (6% swing to Nationalists & a 3% difference) then there will already be a Nationalist majority - 15 to 20 years that majority will have reached voting age.

Don't be confused about someone's Religion and their Politics. 

There are many Catholic Unionists. 

50% plus 1 is a fallacly 

7 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Results by United Kingdom constituent countries[edit]

Constituent country Electorate Turnout (%) Yes No
Votes % Votes %
England 33,356,208 64.6% 14,918,009 68.7% 6,812,052 31.3%
Wales 2,011,136 66.7% 869,135 64.8% 472,071 35.2%
Scotland 3,688,799 61.7% 1,332,186 58.4% 948,039 41.6%
Northern Ireland 1,030,534 47.4% 259,251 52.1% 237,911 47.9%

How things have changed - Strange, but obviously true!

22 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

So, to quote Phillipa Whitfield last night, you come across someone about to seriously self-harm themself and you simply walk past urging them to fill your boots. Sometimes people about to make disastrous decisions need to be counselled and quietly encouraged to reconsider.

Apparently that's exactly what happened when Gordon Brown issued his now-notorious Vow and Ruth Davidson brayed about EU membership, so if this Brexit disaster comes to pass the Scottish electorate is ideally placed to make their own decisions free from the input of liars and frauds.

Remember, this current situation does not have its origins in Scotland but Scotland stands to be hammered, so we'll not be taking any lectures on democracy thanks.

That's completely melodramatic in all honesty. The EU are just as concerned about the World's 6th largest economy leaving. (I read that it's the equivalent of 27 smaller member States leaving). Germany is now in recession, Deutsche bank is on the verge, France has been protesting for nearly a year, Italy is now doing separate deals with China, Hungary and Austria has swung Politically to the right......that's without mentioning the last EU parliament election results. The globalists neoliberal project is leaving too many people behind. It's falling apart.

My main concern is swapping one set of globalist neoliberals for another, albeit UK based

9 minutes ago, sureiknow said:

Don't be confused about someone's Religion and their Politics. 

There are many Catholic Unionists. 

50% plus 1 is a fallacly 

No, it's a spelling error...

That's completely melodramatic in all honesty. The EU are just as concerned about the World's 6th largest economy leaving. (I read that it's the equivalent of 27 smaller member States leaving). Germany is now in recession, Deutsche bank is on the verge, France has been protesting for nearly a year, Italy is now doing separate deals with China, Hungary and Austria has swung Politically to the right......that's without mentioning the last EU parliament election results. The globalists neoliberal project is leaving too many people behind. It's falling apart.
My main concern is swapping one set of globalist neoliberals for another, albeit UK based
I don't mind you disagreeing or criticising, but as off-topic mince goes that's a sizeable helping you've dished up there. And let's put this myth about the EU's 'concern' to bed; this is a fabrication put about by Brexiteers in the hope that if it circulates long enough it will stick.

The EU is probably confused and disappointed but be under no illusions, they have just recorded a thumping straight sets victory over a wheezing, ill-tempered idiot in the corner. They will be just fine, but let's see where Blighty sits in the table in 10 years time.