Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Run the Ken Clarke proposal past me again..trying to get my head around it...is it......Stay in a customs union (but not the single market), which means having fixed tariffs with the other 27 both on goods bought and sold between the UK and the 27, and also having to abide by the same tariff rates which the EU uses to buy in goods from outside? 
In addition, not subject to the ECJ, EU laws (other than those which pertain to trade it seems), no hard border on Ireland (result! as it has the same customs arrangement between NI and ROI), not subject to freedom of movement/ Schengen? Also, potentially lower divorce payment.
If so, does that not defeat one of the main pillars of the Brexiters argument that the UK has to be free to strike its own trade deals, so how do they get behind this?
Still some form of Brexit but with a concession on trade. Has a lot of benefits. Bill Cash and his pals have went to far. This needs to get resolved asap and I don't think it would be too difficult to get another few MPs to support it
Ken Clarke taking the centre ground here which for someone regarded as one of the most Europe friendly Conservative MPs shows how he values the outcome of the vote with a compromise solution that offers something for everyone.

Amazing how shit the reporting by the BBC is of the protests outside Parliament - implying that the thousands are there to protest about Brexit when the reality is that there are also a lot of anti-racists protesting against that fascist Yaxley-Lennon.
Just watched it on BBC, it really is a steaming jobby of English Nationalism. One lad even had a trump cap on stating that today should have been a fantastic day for England

Could it (the Clarke deal) be seen as a bit of a half in/half out position though? In fairness only 8 votes away first time around technically gives it a chance. Suits the DUP, doesn't suit the Brexiters though. 

Would certainly be progress at least, if it could gain a majority, time will tell.

Edited by Jedi

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It would be boringly interesting to go back through the thread and see if anyone predicted where we are now. I doubt it. I just see it as a sad but comic soap opera and try to predict what will happen in the next episode. Some people appear to think I'm under the illusion that I know what I'm talking about. Nobody does, including May.

That's what's slightly worrying - you seem to know as much as she does.

It would be boringly interesting to go back through the thread and see if anyone predicted where we are now. I doubt it. I just see it as a sad but comic soap opera and try to predict what will happen in the next episode. Some people appear to think I'm under the illusion that I know what I'm talking about. Nobody does, including May. Come to think of it, here's a prediction, bookmark it. General Election on May 23rd. I anticipate humiliation.
First post. Me

Could it (the Clarke deal) be seen as a bit of a half in/half out position though? In fairness only 8 votes away first time around technically gives it a chance. Suits the DUP, doesn't suit the Brexiters though. 
Would certainly be progress at least, if it could gain a majority, time will tell.
Did the DUP vote for it first time round?

It is very possible that the DUP - who voted against the Clarke motion in indicative votes - will decide that this is the best way forward. The Conservative Government have taken absolutely no steps to rectify their worries over the NI backstop and they’re absolutely fizzing about the ERG deserting them. In that event, we wouldn’t even need any Tories to vote for Clarke’s plan, including Clarke himself, for the motion to pass.

I’m confident that on a stand-alone vote, Clarke’s plan would have enough support. Would the Government abide by it? Another question entirely.

It is very possible that the DUP - who voted against the Clarke motion in indicative votes - will decide that this is the best way forward. The Conservative Government have taken absolutely no steps to rectify their worries over the NI backstop and they’re absolutely fizzing about the ERG deserting them. In that event, we wouldn’t even need any Tories to vote for Clarke’s plan, including Clarke himself, for the motion to pass.

I’m confident that on a stand-alone vote, Clarke’s plan would have enough support. Would the Government abide by it? Another question entirely.

If I remember correctly Clarke failed by 8 votes, 264 to 272. As mentioned above DUP voted against, however there must have been c.100 abstentions. Who knows where they might go.

13 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
26 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
It would be boringly interesting to go back through the thread and see if anyone predicted where we are now. I doubt it. I just see it as a sad but comic soap opera and try to predict what will happen in the next episode. Some people appear to think I'm under the illusion that I know what I'm talking about. Nobody does, including May. Come to think of it, here's a prediction, bookmark it. General Election on May 23rd. I anticipate humiliation.

First post. Me

If you got it right in the first post how come you’ve predicted 137 different things since then?

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The Speaker thanked Ad Lib for all his hard work before the debate started today. Fucking brown noser. :P

Yes, but he also announced, at 17:55 last night and just minutes before I was about to clock off from work, that he was “sure” the Library would be producing a briefing note for a debate that had *just been announced* and was due to start first thing in the morning.

He hadn’t thought to, you know, check with the Library first, before confidently saying that...!

So really he was apologising for ruining my Thursday evening without notice as much as crediting my prose...

I'm liking the short videos Bercow had been in explaining parliamentary process. If only because he looks like the SMUGGEST MAN ALIVE in them

1 minute ago, Ad Lib said:

Yes, but he also announced, at 17:55 last night and just minutes before I was about to clock off from work, that he was “sure” the Library would be producing a briefing note for a debate that had *just been announced* and was due to start first thing in the morning.

He hadn’t thought to, you know, check with the Library first, before confidently saying that...!

So really he was apologising for ruining my Thursday evening without notice as much as crediting my prose...

Hope you charged him treble time.