Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

25 minutes ago, Spain said:

One of today's proposed amendments specifically relates to (and references) the Erskine May point above, proposing that May can't take her deal back again.

I think that’s incredibly stupid.  

They would have been far better waiting to see if Bercow was going to make a ruling.

It might not even be a valid motion and if there is a majority to vote down May’s motion a third time then its superfluous; if not it won’t pass anyway.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

It doesn't make any difference, that 308 MPs would countenance a No Deal exit is insane. No Deal isn't a negotiating position, it's a suicide vest. 

Tbf bringing a suicide vest with the intention of using it is a valid negotiation position. I guess the EU doesn't believe May will use it. I doubt she does either but it might accidentally go off at this rate.

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There will be an amendment tonight on a second referendum.  No more hiding for Corbyn or the Labour front bench.

Twitter whispers that Labour won't be supporting it today - but may do next week!  Think they want their own front bench amendment to pass today and if the second referendum amendment passes, their amendment would automatically fall.

3 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

Twitter whispers that Labour won't be supporting it today - but may do next week!  Think they want their own front bench amendment to pass today and if the second referendum amendment passes, their amendment would automatically fall.

:lol:

f**k that party. Honestly. Just f**k em.

9 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

I think Corbyn and May are having a secret affair, all the disagreements are just wee lovers tiffs and he'll fall on his sword so she can get her way. Either that or he's just a clownshoe in a shoe shop full of them.

10 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

I know its very unlikely that this amendment will pass but i would honestly love to see May's face if it did pass although i suspect she would just ignore the result and still declare its her deal or no deal.

14 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

Every time the Tories make a complete c*nt of Brexit Labour let them off by making an even bigger c*nt of their response.

Every time the Tories make a complete c*nt of Brexit Labour let them off by making an even bigger c*nt of their response.

On this occasion, it seems People's Vote are right behind them. I wonder what moment they are waiting for. Possibly wanting May to get told to gtf in Brussels first and ram home that it's the only way to actually solve it?

2 minutes ago, harry94 said:

On this occasion, it seems People's Vote are right behind them. I wonder what moment they are waiting for. Possibly wanting May to get told to gtf in Brussels first and ram home that it's the only way to actually solve it?

Where are you seeing this?

Where are you seeing this?

It should be noted though that there has been a lot of infighting reported with the People's Vote campaign. That being said, the Blairites (I hate using that term but it sums up who I'm talking about) are usually pretty astute in organising etc.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if there's maybe been (or will be) a back room compromise over EFTA or something of that sort today. Amendment I would let the commons bring their own motions and legislation (I think) forward and make something like that viable - that's the big vote to watch IMO, I think it changes the whole game and gives something tangible to back the no deal deceleration. I don't know if it is finite or not but if it's to the end of the parliamentary session then that'd give them until the summer (and would be a material change so give something to the EU to feel better about extending).

5812:58

“Speaking on Politics Live, Housing Secretary James Brokenshire tells Andrew Neil that he believes the prime minister's deal will come back to the Commons, unchanged, for a third attempt next week.”

Hopefully Bercow reads this!  I can see Brokenshire backpedaling like mad.  :lol:

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Tbf bringing a suicide vest with the intention of using it is a valid negotiation position. I guess the EU doesn't believe May will use it. I doubt she does either but it might accidentally go off at this rate.

It might be a valid negotiating position in a war zone, but not in civilised countries. It's not entirely a metaphor, through the additional poverty it would bring, No Deal would definitely cause many avoidable deaths.

Silly to even have the amendment on a second referendum here, you don’t want to open it up to ‘we’ve had this vote before’ kind of stuff.

Have the vote during the indicative votes next week. That’s the suitable and obvious place for it.

It’s quite possible than none of the indicative vote proposals will have a majority.  If so, and if they are put before the HoC for a real vote, then the least supported ones should be voted on first so that MPs are ultimately left with only two options.