Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Has to be an extension now anyway as they can't get the legal jargon though by March 29th...unless of course there is no deal.

The UK doesn’t get to decide if there’s an extension or not; the EU also has to agree. There’s little reason for the EU to do so, given that i) the UK has already had 24 months to get its house in order but is spending every last one of them engaging in pathetic brinksmanship instead and ii) European elections also take place in May and the UK needs to categorically out the door (or holding a second referendum) for them to occur smoothly and without a serious legal challenge.

There has been no indication by anyone in Brussels that they’re willing to wave through an extension just to allow Westminster to clean up its own pile of shite.

39 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Robbins is a draught player in a chess world. Love it!

Yeah I liked that too.  However it is unfair only to make this accusation against Robbins.  

In reality government ministers have also been outwitted at every turn when dealing with their EU counterparts.  The idea that there is competency in the May cabinet has been blown out of the water.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I have no doubt whatsoever that the conversation was planted.  Whether that makes him a chess player, I highly doubt, but very little gets said about Brexit without intention.

52 minutes ago, virginton said:

The UK doesn’t get to decide if there’s an extension or not; the EU also has to agree. There’s little reason for the EU to do so, given that i) the UK has already had 24 months to get its house in order but is spending every last one of them engaging in pathetic brinksmanship instead and ii) European elections also take place in May and the UK needs to categorically out the door (or holding a second referendum) for them to occur smoothly and without a serious legal challenge.

There has been no indication by anyone in Brussels that they’re willing to wave through an extension just to allow Westminster to clean up its own pile of shite.

The European Elections would seem to throw a massive spanner in the works, given it would be possible to have the UK still a member of the EU but without any representation, but that's really tough cookies on the UK, and in the end isn't insurmountable.  An extension to A50 is dependent on either a GE, which the Tories might figure to win, or a second referendum.  

These bits got me chuckling...

However, if she seeks to delay until March, May is likely to face a fierce backlash from MPs, including some junior ministers, who believe every day of uncertainty increases the risks to jobs and businesses.

So it's the uncertainty that costs jobs and not, absolutely not, the decision to leave the EU?  

And...

Another senior Conservative said: “It’s an utter tragedy that no-deal is still on the table. Cowards in the cabinet sit there updating Instagram, pretending everything is okay while we go through this bullshit parade. They’re lying to the British public and history will damn them forever.”

Hiya Ken Clarke, hiya pal!

Edited by Savage Henry

March 29 passes without compromise, No deal ensues. 6 months down the line both sides take stock of the collateral damage and realise things aren’t so bad.

The shrieking hysteria passes, exchanges across the Irish border continue without any real fuss and we all live happily ever after. Scotland qualify for WC22.

19 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

March 29 passes without compromise, No deal ensues. 6 months down the line both sides take stock of the collateral damage and realise things aren’t so bad.

The shrieking hysteria passes, exchanges across the Irish border continue without any real fuss and we all live happily ever after. Scotland qualify for WC22.

If it's an no deal I can assure you that scenario won't happen. 

20 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

I was with you until the last sentence...

The Telegraph has obviously always been right wing but it used to mainly confine bias to the comment and leader pages, and took pride in being a paper of record for straight news. They don't even try anymore, here's 2 reports of the same speech, first the FT.

DzPglxiXgAcvdIz.jpg

DzPglxrX4AAkwKI.jpg

2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I think he's sending a straight message to the ERG and DUP that Downing Street know that they have no intention of backing whatever altered deal May comes back with, and they're just stalling to enable what they really want, a hard Brexit. And they're getting told that plan won't work, so sign the deal or else.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

The Telegraph has obviously always been right wing but it used to mainly confine bias to the comment and leader pages, and took pride in being a paper of record for straight news. They don't even try anymore, here's 2 reports of the same speech, first the FT.

DzPglxiXgAcvdIz.jpg

DzPglxrX4AAkwKI.jpg

Fear not, the Telegraph readership, like the Tory Party membership, is ageing and decling rapidly and now comfortably lags The Times.  The two of them are locked in a spiral of decline, and to try and just maintain its sales the Telegraph has increasingly had to  pander to the PG Wodehouse brand of older, racist, moneyed Southern English type of individual.