Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

15 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

Just to be clear, is Feb the 14th the last chance MP's will have to block a no deal scenario?

I don’t think so.

Basically we’re still in the realms of, they’re making it up as they go along. So there’s nothing set in stone I don’t think. 

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

She united her party by giving them a no-deal option which they don't want.  Great work.  Now they've told her to go back to Brussels to renegotiate the un-negotiable.  She'll get told to sling her hook, leaving an option of her original deal versus not leaving.  She knows full well her party consists of a bunch of cowards, and she's counting on them caving in.

And it goes without saying, that the EU is under no obligation to offer her anything.  They've been overly patient with her nonsense as it is.  The Express is basically saying, that all the future fall out will be the fault of the EU, and most definitely not the whim of an ill-educated electorate and a pig-ignorant and incompetent government.  

At this point, Labour's inability to produced anything resembling a decent alternative is going to backfire, unless the Tory dissenters actually show a little backbone.  Which they won't.  What surprised me is that the overwhelming view expressed on the World Service last night was that the decision to leave would have to be delayed.  Seems to me that May's Deal is now the favourite.

If there are no real changes to the backstop (and there won’t be) and May represents her deal in more or less the same form it will still fail as the DUP will not support it.

I think even if she manages to unite most of the Tory party there will still be a hardcore element there too who will oppose it.

If she somehow got it through with the support of dissident Labour MPs the DUP would then support a VoC motion by Corbyn.  Such dissenting Labour MPs would then be in a very difficult position.

It's important to remember that the people voted for Brexit.

Therefore, despite the whole thing coming about because of division in the Tory party, the incompetence of negotiators such as Davies, Raab, and May herself, the uselessness of the opposition under Corbyn, and the total lack of any credible plan going forward, this is not the fault of the politicians.

We will forever be reminded that the people voted for it, so it's their fault.

15 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If there are no real changes to the backstop (and there won’t be) and May represents her deal in more or less the same form it will still fail as the DUP will not support it.

I think even if she manages to unite most of the Tory party there will still be a hardcore element there too who will oppose it.

If she somehow got it through with the support of dissident Labour MPs the DUP would then support a VoC motion by Corbyn.  Such dissenting Labour MPs would then be in a very difficult position.

Never, ever underestimate the lure of a knighthood.  I don't think there's a single member of that hardcore who wouldn't sell their souls for another four years in power and a life time's subscription to Peer's Monthly.

Which then leaves us with what will it take to pay off the DUP.  Again.  And as Richard Nixon said, we can find the money.

14 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
14 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:
If Scotland had the power of an independent country we could be laughing from the sidelines like the rest of Europe.

Scotland bottled it - had our chance.

In 2014 countries around the world must have been laughing from the sidelines at Scotland.

For better or worse we could have gone our own way. There was no messy, inconvenient civil war to get through, all that was required was a simple,  un-coerced vote.  Better together though eh?   f**k it, it's still too soon to talk about it. 

Laughing from the sidelines would definitely be my preferred option though, because, let's  face it, watching headless chickens going round in circles is hilarious. 

Aye, the better together argument has been shown up to be total garbage. Not sure about "uncoerced" when you look at the scare stories and unrelenting doom headlines Scotland was subject to. Still, I'm sure we are all better informed for the upcoming indyref2.

I've given up trying to predict an endgame other than to say that any politician who pushes thro a No-Deal outcome will very likely have blood on their hands.  At the first hint of serious impacts on peoples' lives, and especially the food supply chain, I reckon there will be considerable civil unrest.

Not sure if Blackford had a chance to respond after this in PMQs today. "What happened to technology, open and frictionless, no need for a hard border?"

Blackford says the UK government told Scotland in 2014 that independence would take it out of the EU.

May says Scotland voted to stay in the UK. And the UK is leaving the EU. More than 60% of Scotland’s exports go to the UK. That is more than three times as much as goes to the EU. Yet the SNP want to put up a border, he says. That would damage Scotland.

32 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

In 2014 countries around the world must have been laughing from the sidelines at Scotland.

For better or worse we could have gone our own way. There was no messy, inconvenient civil war to get through, all that was required was a simple,  un-coerced vote.  Better together though eh?   f**k it, it's still too soon to talk about it. 

Laughing from the sidelines would definitely be my preferred option though, because, let's  face it, watching headless chickens going round in circles is hilarious. 

Surely this fiasco proves that a referendum would not have settled the matter. If unionists had lost the referendum they would simply have retreated to a second trench as the  Blairites have done over the EU.

Edited by Detournement

Not sure if Blackford had a chance to respond after this in PMQs today. "What happened to technology, open and frictionless, no need for a hard border?"

Blackford says the UK government told Scotland in 2014 that independence would take it out of the EU.

May says Scotland voted to stay in the UK. And the UK is leaving the EU. More than 60% of Scotland’s exports go to the UK. That is more than three times as much as goes to the EU. Yet the SNP want to put up a border, he says. That would damage Scotland.

They want a trade deal with the EU unless an independent Scotland is in the EU of course.

On 27/01/2019 at 12:00, LongTimeLurker said:

One of these days they might get someone credible on who can explain that fossil fuels are a finite resource and that a large portion of the most easily exploitable reserves are already gone. The catastrophic climate change narrative makes a virtue out of a necessity where the switch to renewables is concerned. Planet Earth isn't a cornucopia and fracking has only delayed the downward portion of the Hubbert curve on crude oil, which will be when the fun and games really start in terms of the global economy. 

I guess we have moved onto this topic, because hurtling headlong towards a no deal Brexit is too depressing, but in some ways it's an exercise in rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. On the bright side Scotland should do OK down the road, if electrical output from tidal power from the Pentland Firth was ever hooked up effectively to pump-storage hydro in the Great Glen.

DyF4p_2W0AUQDSt.jpg

36 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Surely this fiasco proves that a referendum would not have settled the matter. If unionists had lost the referendum they would simply have retreated to a second trench as the  Blairites have done over the EU.

What it 'proves', if it proves anything at all, is that some people can not be trusted with the responsibility of a vote. 

42 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Perhaps so, but afaik the Edinburgh Agreement was significantly more legally binding than the consultative referendum on the EU...