Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Just now, renton said:

That seems fairly backwards. The EU can happily absorb the impact of a No Deal Brexit. Indeed, you'd imagine the other financial centres in Europe would be fairly happy at their growth potential once the City of London begins it's exodus.

The EU would rather maintain access to as wide a market as possible, hence it's negotiated a deal that does so for itself, but it has no reason to concede anything to the UK.  If the choice was between allowing the UK carte blanche over EU freedoms and losing the UK market through a no deal, then its the latter every day of the week.

Who runs the EU? Let's be honest with this if nothing else. Germany.

We are the biggest importer of German goods in the EU. A WTO trade rule with no deal would hurt the German economy as much as it would the UK. It would result in massive job losses within Germany and for that reason, it wouldn t be allowed to happen on the EU side.

We are a net contributer, 1 of only 3. The EU can't just absorb our departure, that's the point. All the talk about houses of cards in this thread and everyone misses the biggest one in Brussels. We leave and it's one of the 3 foundations gone, and you wonder why they have been so vociferous in their rhetoric? You wonder why the option of revoking article 50 was casually offered by the EU last week? 

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

That begun a while back. Folk I deal with on a regular basis have moved from London to Dublin and Frankfurt. CITI and Morgan Stanley. BNP also moved a load of folk to Paris.

As I have mentioned a few times on here, I know for a fact that most of the decision makers in this game do not believe Brexit will happen, but they all have no choice but to plan for it happening. Those plans have been made and are being implemented. No matter what happens at this point, damage has been done and will continue to be done.

Don't you see anything wrong with this statement?

Just now, weegienative said:

Can you summarise? I'm driving through an area with no radio reception.

Basically 'The Lady's not for Turning'

Chuck in every soundbite you have heard ad nauseum over the last few months and that was pretty much it

1 minute ago, weegienative said:

Don't you see anything wrong with this statement?

Yes, I do see something wrong with it. They have looked at the long term implications and come to the conclusion that rational thinking will prevail, and the UK will somehow come to the decision that Brexit is a bad idea. The fact they think rational thinking will come into it is sheer folly.

11 minutes ago, weegienative said:

You wonder why the option of revoking article 50 was casually offered by the EU last week? 

The EU are furious about that, it was the judges. Allowing countries to commit to Article 50 and unilaterally revoke it on a whim and repeat is not conducive to stability. 

1 minute ago, doulikefish said:

If she wins the no confidence vote then she is safe for a year after it,or can they go again against her?Im sure they can only table 1 a year according to the tory party rules

Yeah she is safe for a year unless there is a GE.

10 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Yes, I do see something wrong with it. They have looked at the long term implications and come to the conclusion that rational thinking will prevail, and the UK will somehow come to the decision that Brexit is a bad idea. The fact they think rational thinking will come into it is sheer folly.

Not the fact that the heads of various finance organisations actively think a democratic vote will be overturned?

That isn't concerning at all?