Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

4 minutes ago, FlyerTon said:

This vote coming the day after the Brexit deal vote that was cancelled by Theresa May.

I wonder if this will have any sway with the Tory MP's voting tonight?

If any of these scoundrels had any backbone at all, it would.

All this will do - presuming she wins the vote of no confidence - is put this shambles off until at least the new year.    It's May's only form of self-preservation at this point.  

Got to remember it’s 50% of votes needed to get shot of her, even the most ambitious estimates of Tory MPs voting against her deal yesterday was meant to be around a third.

You’d presume those MPs voting for the deal are terrified of a No Deal scenario. And what happens if May loses here? The fudgey third way goes out the window and it’s a straight choice between revoking Article 50 (under the guise of ‘more time’) and No Deal. Big roll of the dice to presume the Tories would elect someone sane.

4 minutes ago, Paco said:

Got to remember it’s 50% of votes needed to get shot of her, even the most ambitious estimates of Tory MPs voting against her deal yesterday was meant to be around a third.

You’d presume those MPs voting for the deal are terrified of a No Deal scenario. And what happens if May loses here? The fudgey third way goes out the window and it’s a straight choice between revoking Article 50 (under the guise of ‘more time’) and No Deal. Big roll of the dice to presume the Tories would elect someone sane.

Right.  This actually achieves very little other than serve to strengthen May's (admittedly flimsy) position.  Nobody (other than the insane John Redwood) wants No Deal, nobody (other than May) wants May's Deal, and the EU ain't for turning.

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Right.  This actually achieves very little other than serve to strengthen May's (admittedly flimsy) position.  Nobody (other than the insane John Redwood) wants No Deal, nobody (other than May) wants May's Deal, and the EU ain't for turning.

I don’t really see it strengthening her position.  Even if 100 vote against it will hang over her head every time she gets up to speak.

Also she delayed the vote (after saying she would not) to try to win some sort of concession and she has got sweet f**k all from the EU.

I think she has lost any moral authority.

Odds on the Governor General for Scotland finding a spine and voting against her?

I'd love to know what is going through May's head and what her advisers are telling her. Surely anyone with even a single brain cell knows that there is zero chance of her getting anything from the EU and there is pretty much zero chance of getting her deal through parliament.

Surely to f**k she must know she can't win anywhere. The only way she can get out of this with any credibility is to resign

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t really see it strengthening her position.  Even if 100 vote against it will hang over her head every time she gets up to speak.

Also she delayed the vote (after saying she would not) to try to win some sort of concession and she has got sweet f**k all from the EU.

I think she has lost any moral authority.

May us the kind of person who'd hang on even if she won by a single vote. 

The question becomes whether the threshold has been reached because those submitting believe there are 158 votes in it, or is it uncoordinated, heat of thr moment hail mary stuff.

Can you just imagine how even more insufferable she'll become if/when she wins the confidence vote. 

The only hope IMO, is for the opposition to submit a vote of no confidence in her. I think she'll survive the challenge from her own MP's.

21 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

The EU ain't for turning precisely because no one from the UK side has been willing to consider the nuclear no deal option and so the EU can remain entrenched.

I'd imagine the so called "May's deal" would look far better if we'd gone in hard with the negotiations from the start.

Just now, weegienative said:

The EU ain't for turning precisely because no one from the UK side has been willing to consider the nuclear no deal option and so the EU can remain entrenched.

I'd imagine the so called "May's deal" would look far better if we'd gone in hard with the negotiations from the start.

That seems fairly backwards. The EU can happily absorb the impact of a No Deal Brexit. Indeed, you'd imagine the other financial centres in Europe would be fairly happy at their growth potential once the City of London begins it's exodus.

The EU would rather maintain access to as wide a market as possible, hence it's negotiated a deal that does so for itself, but it has no reason to concede anything to the UK.  If the choice was between allowing the UK carte blanche over EU freedoms and losing the UK market through a no deal, then its the latter every day of the week.

6 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

You know her job title actually is Political Editor, right? So you're blaming her rather than her. Well defended.

You don't think her job title means she actually does the editing do you? :lol:

4 minutes ago, renton said:

Indeed, you'd imagine the other financial centres in Europe would be fairly happy at their growth potential once the City of London begins it's exodus.

That begun a while back. Folk I deal with on a regular basis have moved from London to Dublin and Frankfurt. CITI and Morgan Stanley. BNP also moved a load of folk to Paris.

As I have mentioned a few times on here, I know for a fact that most of the decision makers in this game do not believe Brexit will happen, but they all have no choice but to plan for it happening. Those plans have been made and are being implemented. No matter what happens at this point, damage has been done and will continue to be done.