Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

May got a much softer time from the hard core Brexiteers and DUP today. I could see them falling in line and getting the withdrawal bill through. 

As was said several times through the afternoon, this bill read more like a Christmas wish list than an agreed set of proposals.

Just now, ICTJohnboy said:

As was said several times through the afternoon, this bill read more like a Christmas wish list than an agreed set of proposals.

They're not allowed to negotiate the final settlement until we withdraw, it's the 285 page legally binding document that matters now. Although it does look like May has no intention to make any concessions at all on freedom of movement to make any form of customs union or single market possible, so more like a shitty Canada deal than Norway and Switzerland. Rees Mogg should be delighted.

5 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

57% of all Scots are employed in fishing and fish processing; it is also our biggest export market and generator of taxes.

More people would be employed in fisheries if Danish trawlers weren't removing the sand eels from the bottom of the food web to produce budget, low welfare, bacon and quotas being set to keep voting blocs happy instead of managing stocks.

The EU has overseen environnental catastrophe in our seas.

I'm a remainer on balance and principle, but agriculture and fisheries are two areas where we could benefit from brexit. In theory. obviously in practice they'll be traded for commodities market access for hedge funds or something.

May got a much softer time from the hard core Brexiteers and DUP today. I could see them falling in line and getting the withdrawal bill through. 
I suggest you watch The Italian Job again and pay very close attention to the song 'The Self Preservation Society'. Politics is a venal, tribal sham and it's not only Trump who has misplaced decency and truth.

14 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
52 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I suggest you watch The Italian Job again and pay very close attention to the song 'The Self Preservation Society'. Politics is a venal, tribal sham and it's not only Trump who has misplaced decency and truth.

It's not just about keeping their jobs, most of the brexiteers make much more money from moonlighting. They have another agenda, leaving Europe would give them a free hand to strip workers rights and ignore the European courts of justice and human rights. There would probably be advantages in avoiding European financial regulations too. They know that in a Commons vote, extending Article 50 or getting another referendum would beat a hard Brexit. An election would throw everything in the air, with no sure outcome. Their best chance of getting what they want is passing the withdrawal bill.

Edited by welshbairn

More people would be employed in fisheries if Danish trawlers weren't removing the sand eels from the bottom of the food web to produce budget, low welfare, bacon and quotas being set to keep voting blocs happy instead of managing stocks.
I'm a remainer on balance and principle, but agriculture and fisheries are two areas where we could benefit from brexit. In theory. obviously in practice they'll be traded for commodities market access for hedge funds or something.
We'll just starting using herring and mackerel in our fish suppers. Everything will be fine.

It's not just about keeping their jobs, most of the brexiteers make much more money from moonlighting. They have another agenda, leaving Europe would give them a free hand to strip workers rights and ignore the European courts of justice and human rights. They know that in a Commons vote, extending Article 50 or getting another referendum would beat a hard Brexit. An election would throw everything in the air, with no sure outcome. Their best chance of getting what they want is passing the withdrawal bill.
Shurely demonstrating entrepreneurial flair, no ?

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Shut up.  His beard is tremendous.

If you like beards that is. 

I dont, I think they're shit. 

I sometimes imagine Corbyn sitting down with Richie Foran and Owain Fon Williams and discussing the facial growth matter.

Afterwards, Corbyn appears in the House of Commons clean shaven and suddenly everybody thinks he is the greatest politician ever!
Okay, it didn't work for Foran - we still got relegated - but maybe politics is different.

You never know.

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:
4 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:
Why would Sturgeon resign?

No, why would she

Do you not remember that time last week when she said she would resign if certain, subsequently not met, conditions weren't met?

Me neither.

50 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:
1 hour ago, coprolite said:

We'll just starting using herring and mackerel in our fish suppers. Everything will be fine.

I try to do my bit for conservation by having king rib.

Honestly don’t see they’ve got much choice WB, they may publicly state that no deal is better than than a bad deal (this deal), but privately they know if they blow this out of the water the majority of the British electorate will not support them.
At this late stage, they perhaps realise that ignoring the true complexity of what they voted for is coming back to bite them, so will angrily pose and posture but eventually tow the line.
JRM and BJ may be popular within the Tory Shires but neither would win a GE. after which the DUP would be even further sidelined in the event of a Labour victory backed by the SNP to oust them.