Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Being told we have to have another referendum by the EU would energise the utter morons who think the EU totally govern us. I think that could work against (already in short supply) common sense.

Having said that, SURELY you would have to back enough people to quietly have learned their lesson and realised that if you are a family in a modest income working hard to make ends meet, your interests are not aligned with someone called Jacob Rees-Mogg

Veey much a case of "fool me once..."

I wouldn’t bet on Remain winning another referendum.

22 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

What I don't understand is how my scotch meat will be missing from the shelves. Or my bread/potatoes etc. All produced in Scotland or the UK.

Most of my food is as local as I can get it. OK, it might get more expensive and imported goods may disappear under the Armageddon picture painted by some but I simply do not believe the more extreme opinions.

When the EU is facing a trade war with the US, I do not believe they would have another with us.

I could be wrong and we'll all starve by April/June next year but I doubt it.

I read a thread on twitter months ago now by a guy who was in lorry logistics explaining the problem, 12,000 trucks a day go through Dover & Folkestone & there are 8 customs officers randomly pulling the odd truck for checks. They already don't have enough parking space & truck drivers often have to park & sleep on the motorway approaching & causes huge tailbacks.

There are no plans & nothing done to sort out what would happen at these ports, it's likely that a 'no deal' brexit will just happen without much notice, immediately those border stops need to close because there would be no system by which to temporarily allow goods in & out of the country. They don't have the infrastructure, technology or staff to deal with a 100% check, which would then be required. The government could maybe say "just let everything out" but there would still be massive delays in France for any truck getting in or out, lasting weeks.

As I understand it there aren't internal trucks & EU trucks they all just cart about whatever is needed at the time so the whole movement of goods comes to a grinding halt. This guy calculated that supermarkets would be unable to get any deliveries of food within 3 days, people then panic buy & by day 5 the shelves are bare. Much like the snow that caused a food shortage at the start of this year, partly trucks not on the road, partly panic buying. The guy quoted a study that said it then only takes 3 days of no bread & milk to have people on the streets burning cars.

so essentially, the food produced in the UK cant leave their factories because all the lorries are caught up at the ports, meaning they also cant get incoming delivery, so production slows & people turn up at the warehouses panic buying what little there is.

I read a thread on twitter months ago now by a guy who was in lorry logistics explaining the problem, 12,000 trucks a day go through Dover & Folkestone & there are 8 customs officers randomly pulling the odd truck for checks. They already don't have enough parking space & truck drivers often have to park & sleep on the motorway approaching & causes huge tailbacks.

There are no plans & nothing done to sort out what would happen at these ports, it's likely that a 'no deal' brexit will just happen without much notice, immediately those border stops need to close because there would be no system by which to temporarily allow goods in & out of the country. They don't have the infrastructure, technology or staff to deal with a 100% check, which would then be required. The government could maybe say "just let everything out" but there would still be massive delays in France for any truck getting in or out, lasting weeks.

As I understand it there aren't internal trucks & EU trucks they all just cart about whatever is needed at the time so the whole movement of goods comes to a grinding halt. This guy calculated that supermarkets would be unable to get any deliveries of food within 3 days, people then panic buy & by day 5 the shelves are bare. Much like the snow that caused a food shortage at the start of this year, partly trucks not on the road, partly panic buying. The guy quoted a study that said it then only takes 3 days of no bread & milk to have people on the streets burning cars.

so essentially, the food produced in the UK cant leave their factories because all the lorries are caught up at the ports, meaning they also cant get incoming delivery, so production slows & people turn up at the warehouses panic buying what little there is.

I’m buying a crossbow tonight. Might buy a cow and some chickens too.

24 minutes ago, GoTeamGaz said:

If a hard Brexit is going to lead to anarchy and possibly armed insurrection then I am warming to it.

12 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I’m buying a crossbow tonight. Might buy a cow and some chickens too.

I reckon the cow would be easy to hit but the chickens might prove tricky.

Edited by Granny Danger

Raab saying at the weekend that the £39bn ‘divorce bill’ payment might be withheld.  This was despite an earlier commitment from May that it was agreed and would not be part of the post Brexit trade discussions.

All other issues aside, how can the EU negotiate with a country whose PM gives a clear and firm commitment only for that to be contradicted by another minister a couple of months later?

23 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Raab saying at the weekend that the £39bn ‘divorce bill’ payment might be withheld.  This was despite an earlier commitment from May that it was agreed and would not be part of the post Brexit trade discussions.

All other issues aside, how can the EU negotiate with a country whose PM gives a clear and firm commitment only for that to be contradicted by another minister a couple of months later?

Someone keep me right here.

If we do get to a "No Deal" stage with the EU, does this then have to go back to the Commons to be voted on or do we start the transition deal regardless?

9 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

Someone keep me right here.

If we do get to a "No Deal" stage with the EU, does this then have to go back to the Commons to be voted on or do we start the transition deal regardless?

The transition deal only kicks in if there is a deal.  If no deal then no transition. 

I understand that one of the recent votes means it will go back to Parliament for a formal "notification" of no deal at which point the Speaker will decide if motions to amend that "notification" can be debated and voted on.  Seems a strange way to run a Parliamentary democracy.

I am fairly sure that is where we are at but am happy to be corrected.