Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

And the rest voted with Rees Mogg? Don't really understand what's going on here.9

No. 

One side was the government, loyal Tory backbenchers, Mogg's ERG, the DUP and 4 Labour Brexitters.

Other side was 11 Tory remainers and Labour/SNP/LD/Plaid/Green/Hermon.

Frank Field, Kate Hoey and Graham Stringer broke the Labour whip. Kelvin Hopkins also voted with the government but he's suspended for being a creep.

Soubry, Morgan, Clarke, Grieve, Lee, Grieve, Wollaston, Allen, Lee, Sandbach and Stephen Hammond are the Tory rebels.

We don't know how many votes Mogg has which is no doubt why May went along with these amendments. If 30-40 ERG rebelled she would be in big trouble. Now they can continue to try and sort it out behind closed doors.

Edit 14 Tory remainers. Benyon, Bebb, Djangoly and Pawson.

Edited by Detournement

7 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Disappointing but hardly surprising that Kate Hoey, Frank Field and Graham Stringer find themselves aligning with the ERG. 

There’s nothing new in breaking the whip, Corbyn did it often enough, but this is an issue that has the potential to force May to resign or lead to a vote of confidence in the government.

Given that, if a GE is called Labour should not endorse any of these three as candidates.

8 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

And we'd still vote to stay part of it :lol:

A nation of utter shitebags.

I don't live in Scotland so didn't get a vote.

I would have voted to stay in the UK.

I absolutely would not now. 

I doubt I'm alone in this.

8 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

BBC also reporting that they will be having a vote tomorrow on whether the summer recess should start 5 days early, ie this Thursday instead of next Tuesday.

I suppose they deserve a holiday after all the hard work they have done today...

5 days fucking early!!!!!

They should be in all summer sorting this shit out.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I don't live in Scotland so didn't get a vote.

I would have voted to stay in the UK.

I absolutely would not now. 

I doubt I'm alone in this.

I would be suspicious of the polls.  You meet quite a few people who have gone no to yes, you never meet any yes voters who now say no.  Events have proven yes voters right, now the only people opposed are the ignorant/gullible and britnats and English people.

The Lords will overturn last night's amendments because they're incompatible with both the GFA, and the Withdrawal Act. 

There's an argument that last night was May throwing the ERG a bone knowing full well that the numbers should have been there to defeat them (while voting with them). Except Vince Vable and Tim Farron were nowhere to be seen. Had they, plus one of the 14 missing Labour MPs turned up, then the clause would have fell (the Speaker's casting vote would have left the bill unamended). 

The Lords will overturn last night's amendments because they're incompatible with both the GFA, and the Withdrawal Act. 

There's an argument that last night was May throwing the ERG a bone knowing full well that the numbers should have been there to defeat them (while voting with them). Except Vince Vable and Tim Farron were nowhere to be seen. Had they, plus one of the 14 missing Labour MPs turned up, then the clause would have fell (the Speaker's casting vote would have left the bill unamended). 

Lords can overturn nothing, do you understand British politics?

BBC also reporting that they will be having a vote tomorrow on whether the summer recess should start 5 days early, ie this Thursday instead of next Tuesday.
I suppose they deserve a holiday after all the hard work they have done today...
Going to pick fruit imo

10 minutes ago, doulikefish said:
11 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Going to pick fruit imo

Cherry picking?

26 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
43 minutes ago, The Master said:

Lords can overturn nothing, do you understand British politics?

The Lords can overturn it. The Commons then either have to agree, or reinstate the clause and send the bill back thus beginning the ping-pong. 

Ultimately the Parliament Acts can be invoked, but that would take too long - it would require the exact same Bill to leave the Commons in the exact same form, in the next session of Parliament. Which won't even begin until after the supposed leaving date. 

The Lords can overturn it. The Commons then either have to agree, or reinstate the clause and send the bill back thus beginning the ping-pong. 
Ultimately the Parliament Acts can be invoked, but that would take too long - it would require the exact same Bill to leave the Commons in the exact same form, in the next session of Parliament. Which won't even begin until after the supposed leaving date. 
The lords can scrutinise, suggest amendments and return to commons for amendment vote. They can't overturn anything

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
6 minutes ago, The Master said:

The lords can scrutinise, suggest amendments and return to commons for amendment vote. They can't overturn anything

This is correct, and they can only return to the commons three times.

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:
2 minutes ago, The Master said:

The Lords can overturn Commons amendments by themselves amending the Bill to remove the amendments. It's then up to the Commons to decide whether or not to agree.

When the Bill arrives back in The Commons it will have the exact wording the Lords want it to have as an Act, along with an accompanying document with explanatory notes as to the amendments made.  Nothing will be "suggested"; anything the Lords agree to amongst themselves will stand part of the Bill at the point it is sent back.

2 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

This is correct, and they can only return to the commons three times.

Not true. Ping pong can go on for as long as both sides want it to.

Ultimately the Government can let the bill fall before the current session is prorogued, and bring it back in the next session with the intention of using the Parliament Acts.