Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

48 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

"Special relationship." = "The UK are the little bitches of the US and have been for years."

SO I WOULD SAY I GIVE OUR RELATIONSHIP IN TERMS OF GRADE, THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF SPECIAL. SO WE START OFF WITH SPECIAL. I WOULD GIVE OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH THE U.K., AND NOW, ESPECIALLY AFTER THIS TWO DAYS WITH YOUR PRIME MINISTER, I WOULD SAY THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF SPECIAL. ALMOST I ALLOWED TO GO HIGHER THAN THAT? I'M NOT SURE. IT'S THE HIGHEST LEVEL. THEY'RE SPECIAL PEOPLE, SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP, AND BECAUSE MY MOTHER WAS BORN IN SCOTLAND. AS FAR AS ADVICE, I GAVE A SUGGESTION, AND I WOULDN'T SAY ADVICE. MAYBE SHE FOUND IT TOO BRUTAL. I DON'T KNOW IF YOU REMEMBER WHAT I SAID I DID GIVE HER A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF-- I GAVE HER A SUGGESTION, NOT ADVICE, I WOULD WANT TO-- I'D GIVE A SUGGESTION. I WOULD FULLY UNDERSTAND WHY SHE THOUGHT IT WAS A LITTLE TOUGH. MAYBE SOME DAY SHE MIGHT DO WHAT I SUGGESTED SHE MIGHT WANT TO DO, BUT IT'S NOT AN EASY THING. LOOK AT THE UNITED STATES HOW THE EUROPEAN UNION HAS TAKEN ADVANTAGE, SYSTEMATICALLY OF THE UNITED STATES ON TRADE. IT'S A DISGRACE. SO, IT'S NOT AN EASY NEGOTIATION.

Ireland–United States relations refers to the current and historical bilateral relationshipbetween Ireland and the United States.

According to the governments of the United States and Ireland, relations have long been based on common ancestral ties and shared values.[1][2] Besides regular dialogue on political and economic issues, the U.S. and Irish governments have official exchanges in areas such as medical research and education.

Ireland pursues a policy of neutrality through non-alignment and is consequently not a member of NATO,[3] although it does participate in Partnership for Peace. However, on many occasions Ireland has provided tacit support to the United States and its allies.

In 2012 according to a U.S. Global Leadership Report, 67% of Irish people approved of the U.S. leadership of Barack Obama. This was the fourth-highest rating for any surveyed country in Europe.[4]

Country comparison

HistoryEdit

Pre-Irish independenceEdit

In 1800 under the Acts of Union 1800, Ireland was politically unified with Britain to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. All major diplomatic decisions regarding Ireland were made in London. From this time until 1922, when twenty-six of thirty-two counties of Ireland seceded to form the Irish Free State (later becoming the Republic of Ireland), the United States' formal diplomatic affairs with Ireland were carried out through London.

ImmigrationEdit

The Irish were some of the first settlers in the 13 colonies and played an important role in The War of Independence, as well as being some of the first cattle drivers in North America. The Irish exerted their own influence inside the United States, particularly through Democratic Party politics. From 1820 to 1860, 2 million Irish arrived in the United States, 75% of these after the Great Irish Famine (or The Great Hunger, Irish: An Gorta Mór) of 1845–1852, struck.[5] Most of them joined fast-growing Irish shantytowns in American cities. The famine hurt Irish men and women alike, especially those poorest or without land.[6] It altered the family structures of Ireland because fewer people could afford to marry and raise children, causing many to adopt a single lifestyle. Consequently, many Irish citizens were less bound to family obligations and could more easily migrate to the United States in the following decade.[7]

******sEdit

After the American Civil War, authorities in the U.S. who were resentful of Britain's role in the war looked the other way as the ****** Brotherhood plotted and even attempted an invasion of Canada.[8] The ****** Raidsproved a failure but Irish American politicians, a growing power in the Democratic Party, demanded more independence for Ireland and made anti-British rhetoric—called "twisting the lion's tail"—a staple of election campaign appeals to the Irish vote.[9]

de ValeraEdit

Éamon de Valera, a prominent figure in the Easter Rising and the Irish War of Independence, was himself born in New York City in 1882. His American citizenship spared him from execution for his role in the Easter Rising.[10][11]

De Valera went on to be named President of Dáil Éireann, and in May 1919 he visited the United States in this role. The mission had three objectives: to ask for official recognition of the Irish Republic, to float a loan to finance the work of the Government (and by extension, the Irish Republican Army), and to secure the support of the American people for the republic. His visit lasted from June 1919 to December 1920 and had mixed success. One negative outcome was the splitting of the Irish-American organisations into pro- and anti-de Valera factions.[12] De Valera managed to raise $5,500,000 from American supporters, an amount that far exceeded the hopes of the Dáil.[13] Of this, $500,000 was devoted to the American presidential campaign in 1920 which helped him gain wider public support there.[14] In 1921 it was said that $1,466,000 had already been spent, and it is unclear when the net balance arrived in Ireland.[15] Recognition was not forthcoming in the international sphere. He also had difficulties with various Irish-American leaders, such as John Devoy and Judge Daniel F. Cohalan, who resented the dominant position he established, preferring to retain their control over Irish affairs in the United States.

World War IEdit

The United States Navy had five U.S. Naval Air Stations in Ireland from 1918-1919. These stations were specifically in place to protect Ireland and neighboring countries from belligerent submarine aggression. The names and locations of these bases were NAS Queenstown, NAS Wexford, NAS Whiddy Island, NAS Berehaven and NAS Lough Foyle.

Post-Irish independenceEdit

U.S. recognition of IrelandEdit

The Irish War of Independence ultimately ended with the Anglo-Irish Treaty, which confirmed the partition of Ireland into the Irish Free State and Northern Ireland, the latter of which opted to remain a part of the United Kingdom. The Irish Free State quickly fell into the Irish Civil War between Pro-Treaty Forces who supported independence via partition and Anti-Treaty Forces who opposed partition and wanted independence for the entire island of Ireland. Pro-Treaty Forces won the Irish Civil War in 1923, and the following year the United States recognized the Irish Free State and established diplomatic relations with it.[16] The Irish Free State was succeeded by the new state of Ireland in 1937, and formally declared itself a republic in 1949.

World War II/The EmergencyEdit

Ireland was officially neutral during World War II, but declared an official state of emergencyon 2 September 1939 and the Army was mobilised. As the Emergency progressed, more and newer equipment was purchased for the rapidly expanding force from the UK and the United States as well as some manufactured at home. For the duration of the Emergency, Ireland, while formally neutral, tacitly supported the Allies in several ways.[17]The Irish Sea was mined. German military personnel were interned in the Curragh along with the belligerent powers' servicemen, whereas Allied airmen and sailors who crashed in Ireland were very often repatriated, usually by secretly moving them across the border to Northern Ireland.[17] G2, the Army's intelligence section, played a vital role in the detection and arrest of German spies, such as Hermann Görtz.

Cold WarEdit

During the Cold War, Irish military policy, while ostensibly neutral, was biased towards NATO.[18] G2 monitored communists and agents of communist governments operating in Ireland, primarily through embassies in Dublin, sharing information with western allies. During the Cuban Missile Crisis, Seán Lemass authorised the search of Cuban and Czechoslovak aircraft passing through Shannon and passed the information to the CIA.[19]

Celtic TigerEdit

U.S. foreign direct investment in Ireland has been particularly important to the growth and modernization of Irish industry since 1980, providing new technology, export capabilities, and employment opportunities. During the 1990s, Ireland experienced a period of rapid economic growth referred to as the Celtic Tiger. While Ireland's historical economic ties to the UK had often been the subject of criticism, Peader Kirby argued that the new ties to the US economy were met with a "satisfied silence".[20] Nevertheless, voices on the political left have decried the "closer to Boston than Berlin" philosophy of the Fianna Fáil-Progressive Democrat government.[21]Growing wealth was blamed for rising crime levels among youths, particularly alcohol-related violence resulting from increased spending power. However, it was also accompanied by rapidly increased life expectancy and very high quality of life ratings; the country ranked first in The Economist's 2005 quality of life index.[22]

The TroublesEdit

The Troubles caused a strain in the Special Relationship between the United Kingdom and the United States. In February 1994, British Prime Minister John Major refused to answer US President Bill Clinton's telephone calls for days over his decision to grant Sinn Féinleader Gerry Adams a visa to visit the United States.[23] Adams was listed as a terrorist by London.[24] The US State Department, the CIA, the US Justice Department and the FBI all opposed the move on the grounds that it made the United States look 'soft on terrorism' and 'could do irreparable damage to the special relationship'.[25] Under pressure from Congress, the president hoped the visit would encourage the IRA to renounce violence.[26]While Adams offered nothing new, and violence escalated within weeks,[27] the president later claimed vindication after the IRA ceasefire of August 1994.[28] To the disappointment of the prime minister, Clinton lifted the ban on official contacts and received Adams at the White House on St. Patrick's Day 1995, despite the fact the paramilitaries had not agreed to disarm.[24]

The US also involved itself as an intermediaryduring the Northern Ireland peace process, including, in 1995, US Senator George Mitchellbeing appointed to lead an international body to provide an independent assessment of the decommissioning issue, and President Clinton speaking in favor of the "peace process" to a huge rally at Belfast's City Hall where he called IRA Fighters "yesterday's men". Mitchell announced the reaching of the Good Friday Agreement on 10 April 1998 stating, "I am pleased to announce that the two governments and the political parties in Northern Ireland have reached agreement," and it emerged later that President Clinton had made a number of telephone calls to party leaders to encourage them to reach this agreement

8 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
8 hours ago, doulikefish said:
Lloyds of ...errrr

First of many, Lux, Frankfurt, Dublin will benefit strongly here. Edinburgh could have if not for the uneducated Sevco types

Yup.  All these businesses leaving London would be going to Edinburgh if we voted yes.

That and literally about fifteen new oilfields since 2014 plus one massive gas field (which makes you rather suspicious tbf) mean this would have been absolute boom time for Scotland right now.  Instead we face Brexit and austerity.  Good job no voters well done.