Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

One of the things that annoys me most is that this "London-centric elite" line has gained traction in the media as a proxy for remain supporters, as if only London voted to stay in. In England and Wales, it was really a case of the major cities (minus Birmingham) against small towns and rural areas.
Did Manchester and Liverpool not also vote remain?

30 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
1 hour ago, Carl Cort said:
One of the things that annoys me most is that this "London-centric elite" line has gained traction in the media as a proxy for remain supporters, as if only London voted to stay in. In England and Wales, it was really a case of the major cities (minus Birmingham) against small towns and rural areas.

Did Manchester and Liverpool not also vote remain?

Aye, that's my point. Leeds, Newcastle, Bristol, Cardiff, York, Brighton, Leicester and York were remain as well. In England it wasn't London vs everyone else as people pretend. It was cities versus smaller towns and countryside

Also, despite what people have said on here, it's the Midlands rather than the north that was real Leave country. The big northern cities were mostly remain, but Birmingham, Nottingham, Derby, Coventry, Wolverhampton and Stoke all voted Leave.

Aye, that's my point. Leeds, Newcastle, Bristol, Cardiff, York, Brighton, Leicester and York were remain as well. In England it wasn't London vs everyone else as people pretend. It was cities versus smaller towns and countryside
Also, despite what people have said on here, it's the Midlands rather than the north that was real Leave country. The big northern cities were mostly remain, but Birmingham, Nottingham, Derby, Coventry, Wolverhampton and Stoke all voted Leave.
Aye. Sorry, misread intially

46 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Interesting to look at this list and consider how often I have been to these places.  Personally I have been to Newcastle, Bristol, Cardiff and  York on dozens of occasions.  I have also been to Leeds, Brighton and Leicester a few times too.

By contrast, I have never been to Coventry, Wolverhampton or Stoke ever. 

Ah, but that is because I am one of those Metropolitan elite who spends all my time going to the opera.  Actually, I have never been to the opera either.     

39 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Interesting to look at this list and consider how often I have been to these places.  Personally I have been to Newcastle, Bristol, Cardiff and  York on dozens of occasions.  I have also been to Leeds, Brighton and Leicester a few times too.

Ah, but that is because I am one of those Metropolitan elite who spends all my time going to the opera.  Actually, I have never been to the opera either.     

It's a bit like Brexit; it's not over until the fat lady sings.

2 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Most of these towns were fucked by town planners going all the way from the War till the 80s. They probably blame it all on the Luftwaffe though. And immigrants I suppose. Not sure how Sheffield voted but that's another town where the car was given priority over people.

you should try it

Opera not Wolverhampton

6 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

you should try it

Opera not Wolverhampton

What a good idea!

The next time, ICT are playing away to Queen of the South, I will go to the game and then spend the evening at the Dumfries Opera House.
It will be great.

Most of these towns were fucked by town planners going all the way from the War till the 80s. They probably blame it all on the Luftwaffe though. And immigrants I suppose. Not sure how Sheffield voted but that's another town where the car was given priority over people.

Sheffield Voted to Leave, as did Bradford, Doncaster, Rotherham & Hull.

My Mp Joanna Cherry tweeted this

Today at 10am I’m part of a cross party group of parliamentarians going to the Court of Session in Edinburgh to ask it to refer the question - does the UK have a unilateral legal right to revoke its #Art50 notification - to the CJEU. #brexit #FBPE 1/2

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

My Mp Joanna Cherry tweeted this

Today at 10am I’m part of a cross party group of parliamentarians going to the Court of Session in Edinburgh to ask it to refer the question - does the UK have a unilateral legal right to revoke its #Art50 notification - to the CJEU. #brexit #FBPE 1/2

Don't think they do, the other 27 countries have to agree, which they probably would. 

P.S. Tell Johanna she can have that for £500, it'll save her a fortune.

P.P.S. Looks to me that a qualified majority would suffice.

http://www.lisbon-treaty.org/wcm/the-lisbon-treaty/treaty-on-European-union-and-comments/title-6-final-provisions/137-article-50.html

Edited by welshbairn

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Don't think they do, the other 27 countries have to agree, which they probably would. 

P.S. Tell Johanna she can have that for £500, it'll save her a fortune.

P.P.S. Looks to me that a qualified majority would suffice.

http://www.lisbon-treaty.org/wcm/the-lisbon-treaty/treaty-on-European-union-and-comments/title-6-final-provisions/137-article-50.html

If the other states refused to allow the UK to leave the EU then the savings to the NHS and social care would be incredible.

Also investments in funeral companies and crematoria would be wise.

51 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I'll second you on that. My wife has lots of relatives there and all are pro EU.

I have a friend who left Glasgow to work in Roscommon & Galway years ago 

He has taken to prefacing his emails with " This is the EU calling " The c*nt

ETA I hope Farage goes to Dublin. I'm sure he'd be made most welcome!!!

Edited by WILLIEA

This is absolute bullshit. Last poll I saw a few months ago was mid to high 80s in favour of the EU. Everyone here is absolutely stunned that Britain , well let's be honest, England, have been so fucking monumentally stupid. Scotland's just being laughed at for meekly following along. Farage would do as well in a Dublin Barr as he does in Edinburgh.