Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

I can see a few Tories backing the cross party motion to take control of the process to stop a No Deal Brexit; it will be interesting to see how many non-Tories oppose it or abstain.

I can see the motion passing or failing by no more than one or two votes.

I can see a few Tories backing the cross party motion to take control of the process to stop a No Deal Brexit; it will be interesting to see how many non-Tories oppose it or abstain.
Cuffed

2 minutes ago, jakedee said:
57 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Cuffed

Must have been some Labour sell outs.

Say a tiny part of the debate.  Nick Boles was spot on.  There will be MPs who voted against this motion today who will have nowhere to hide if Parliament cannot find a mechanism to stop a No Deal Brexit.

Maybe @Ad Lib can advise if he sees such a mechanism still existing.

19 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Say a tiny part of the debate.  Nick Boles was spot on.  There will be MPs who voted against this motion today who will have nowhere to hide if Parliament cannot find a mechanism to stop a No Deal Brexit.

Maybe @Ad Lib can advise if he sees such a mechanism still existing.

The IfG are really good on this: https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/blog/speaker-cant-guarantee-mps-can-stop-no-deal-brexit

The mechanism attempted today was basically an unforced error by the Government. It seems unlikely they'll allocate any other Opposition days for the foreseeable future.

What today shows, more importantly than whether it remains mechanistically possible for Parliament to stop a no-deal exit on 31 October, is how fragile the Parliamentary majority against a no-deal exit is. It seems only to be able to manifest itself when it is perceived to be an imminent outcome.

But actually preventing it in the face of a pro no-deal Government requires that majority to manifest itself early enough to keep the threat of a General Election "live" and therefore to have a chance of influencing Government policy.

Many MPs don't seem to be fully alive to that at the moment. Mainly because they're arguing about what Labour Party policy should be adopted at their next conference or who should be the next leader of the Conservative Party.

Edited by Ad Lib

54 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

the usual suspects I imagine (Hoey et al.)

Some people saying if it had been a cross party motion rather than Labour, more Tories would have voted for it.

41 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

The IfG are really good on this: https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/blog/speaker-cant-guarantee-mps-can-stop-no-deal-brexit

The mechanism attempted today was basically an unforced error by the Government. It seems unlikely they'll allocate any other Opposition days for the foreseeable future.

What today shows, more importantly than whether it remains mechanistically possible for Parliament to stop a no-deal exit on 31 October, is how fragile the Parliamentary majority against a no-deal exit is. It seems only to be able to manifest itself when it is perceived to be an imminent outcome.

But actually preventing it in the face of a pro no-deal Government requires that majority to manifest itself early enough to keep the threat of a General Election "live" and therefore to have a chance of influencing Government policy.

Many MPs don't seem to be fully alive to that at the moment. Mainly because they're arguing about what Labour Party policy should be adopted at their next conference or who should be the next leader of the Conservative Party.

Yeah going back to my previous post that’s what Boles was saying.  Once a new PM is in place and the reality dawns that the EU is offering nothing more it will be interesting to see the reaction when No Deal stops being a throwaway line and becomes an imminent reality.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah going back to my previous post that’s what Boles was saying.  Once a new PM is in place and the reality dawns that the EU is offering nothing more it will be interesting to see the reaction when No Deal stops being a throwaway line and becomes an imminent reality.

The https://leave.eu/deselect-your-remainer-tory-mp/ campaign to get Kippers and the like to join the Tory Party and deselect Remainers could seriously backfire on them. There's nothing to stop them joining a vote of no confidence to force a General Election if they'll lose their jobs anyway.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Some people saying if it had been a cross party motion rather than Labour, more Tories would have voted for it.

This is a weak sauce explanation.

It failed this time because slightly fewer Tories voted for it and a chunk of Labour abstained instead of voted for it.

The Tories who didn’t back it this time almost certainly did so because they (I think misguidedly) saw it as coming too soon. It had nothing to do with it being in Corbyn’s name: it was supported by every party bar the Tories and DUP and had the same core of Tory protagonists rebelling in favour of it.

It was Gareth Snell and his abstentionist gang that pretty much explain the defeat.

Edited by Ad Lib

6 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

This is a weak sauce explanation.

It failed this time because slightly fewer Tories voted for it and a chunk of Labour abstained instead of voted for it.

The Tories who didn’t back it this time almost certainly did so because they (I think misguidedly) saw it as coming too soon. It had nothing to do with it being in Corbyn’s name: it was supported by every party bar the Tories and DUP and had the same core of Tory protagonists rebelling in favour of it.

It was Gavin Snell and his abstentionist gang that pretty much explain the defeat.

15 Labour abstentions v 12 Tory. Or they weren't able to attend for other reasons. Is it true that the Government could just block time for opposition motions to stop it happening again?

Edited by welshbairn

20 hours ago, sureiknow said:

Would it be for 39 Billion reasons?

The E.U. will agree to a deal to get this.

They are heading into difficult financial times. They need this money badly.

With all of the free money Scotland and Europe gain from the hard working English tax payer. It's no wonder England looks like a back water shitehole.

30 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

If you were to invent a name for the leader of an a bunch of c***s Gavin Snell would be up there for sure

FTFY

Maybe today’s defeat is less important than at first glance; then again maybe not.

When it goes to the wire I think there will be far fewer supporters of a No Deal Brexit in Parliament than all the hype suggests.

A Johnson PM would be praying Parliament saves him from himself.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

15 Labour abstentions v 12 Tory. Or they weren't able to attend for other reasons. Is it true that the Government could just block time for opposition motions to stop it happening again?

It’s possible some were paired.

Every session requires 20 Opposition days to be allocated. Normally a session only lasts a year but this one has been two years and counting. Moreover the Government basically has a veto over *when* to allocate an Opposition day.

There is absolutely zero incentive for them to allocate supplementary opposition days this session now. Frankly people were surprised they fell for Labour’s bait and switch that allowed today’s to happen. Today’s Opposition day was only allocated because another one was yielded a few weeks ago. The understanding had been that the same business would be brought back but Labour then tagged in their motion to take control of Tuesday.

They’ve a bit shat the bed by losing it really.

the usual suspects I imagine (Hoey et al.)
They really need to expel these wankers.

The full list of Labour MPs who defied the whip are:

Kevin Barron (Rother Valley)
Ronnie Campbell (Blyth Valley)
Jim Fitzpatrick (Poplar and Limehouse)
Caroline Flint (Don Valley)
Stephen Hepburn (Jarrow)
Kate Hoey (Vauxhall)
John Mann (Bassetlaw)
Graham Stringer (Blackley and Broughton)

I hope each and every one of them rots in hell for appeasing racist gammons.

51 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

They really need to expel these wankers.

The full list of Labour MPs who defied the whip are:

Kevin Barron (Rother Valley)
Ronnie Campbell (Blyth Valley)
Jim Fitzpatrick (Poplar and Limehouse)
Caroline Flint (Don Valley)
Stephen Hepburn (Jarrow)
Kate Hoey (Vauxhall)
John Mann (Bassetlaw)
Graham Stringer (Blackley and Broughton)

I hope each and every one of them rots in hell for appeasing racist gammons.

I foresee a situation in the near future where one or more of the above will refuse to support a Labour VOC motion thereby allowing a Tory Government to continue in power.

Maybe then they will be expelled.