Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
12 hours ago, supermik said:
Shouldn’t matter. If the majority of the locals voted in one direction then the MP should do as they voted. They were elected to do as the voters wanted.

He should represent those who elected him as an MP, on whichever manifesto he stood. Not on how they voted in a referendum which (pre-vote, at least) was not party political. Maybe, just maybe, there's still a few voters out there who care about the NHS, education, social care, and social security...

Oh, you mean other stuff!  That's a blast from the past.

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
12 hours ago, supermik said:
Shouldn’t matter. If the majority of the locals voted in one direction then the MP should do as they voted. They were elected to do as the voters wanted.

He should represent those who elected him as an MP, on whichever manifesto he stood. Not on how they voted in a referendum which (pre-vote, at least) was not party political. Maybe, just maybe, there's still a few voters out there who care about the NHS, education, social care, and social security...

And the majority of voters who chose him may well have voted remain.

European Parliament lawyers saying it wouldn't be a problem extending A50 beyond the July opening of parliament. The UK just wouldn't have any MEPs after that date. So no more expense fiddling for Farage.

Boris telling porkies again.

Johnson disowns Vote Leave’s anti-Turkish campaign message

Johnson has now finished. He is taking questions.

Q: In 2015 you said you were the most pro-immigration politician in the UK. In 2016 he ran a campaign saying 80m Turks would come to the UK. You have been all over the place on immigration. Won’t you say anything to win a leadership election?

Johnson says he did not make any remarks about Turkey during the EU referendum campaign.

Q: You ran the Vote Leave campaign. It was their theme.

Johnson says the questioner, Michael Crick from Channel 4 News, is doing him too much honour.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/15/boris-johnson-and-michael-gove-demand-david-cameron-veto-turkeys/

A number of Nissan workers in Sunderland interviewed on Radio 4 news, saying that they voted Leave in protest over the "North-South Divide" Far too much money gets spent in the south compared to the north, so they say. 

I can't quite see how leaving the EU is going to help change that situation, but I can see how they might all be losing their jobs if we leave the EU without some kind of a deal in place.

Boris's porkies mark 2.

Boris Johnson has claimed he's "not someone who deprecates other countries and cultures", despite years of evidence to the contrary.

He's previously referred to black people as "piccaninnies", suggested the people of Papua New Guinea are cannibals, wrote a poem suggesting the Prime Minister of Turkey has sex with goats and compared burqa wearing women to letterboxes and bank robbers.

The bumbling Brexiteer was giving a speech widely seen as a brazen pitch for the Tory leadership.

In his address, he called for Brexit to be used as an opportunity to create 'cohesion' in Britain.

Boris's porkies mark 2.
Boris Johnson has claimed he's "not someone who deprecates other countries and cultures", despite years of evidence to the contrary.
He's previously referred to black people as "piccaninnies", suggested the people of Papua New Guinea are cannibals, wrote a poem suggesting the Prime Minister of Turkey has sex with goats and compared burqa wearing women to letterboxes and bank robbers.
The bumbling Brexiteer was giving a speech widely seen as a brazen pitch for the Tory leadership.
In his address, he called for Brexit to be used as an opportunity to create 'cohesion' in Britain.

On the other hand, he has just confirmed the UK will have drinking water after Brexit.

Scenario -:

May's deal has been brought back to the Commons and repeatedly voted down. 

She brings it back to the Commons on the 27th March (2 days before the UK officially leaves the EU on the 29th) 

How will the MP's/parties vote then?   

Theory #469. The EU know that the ERG favoured option is a hard brexit and the DUP have only 10 members, so there's no point in further fiddling with the backstop. Some kind of customs union would likely get support from a fair number of MP's across the house, maybe enough to pass. The red line of May's that leave voters care least about is freedom to negotiate our own trade deals, if she drops that a softer deal with the EU is more likely. It's possible it would deal with the Irish border so even the DUP might come on board. As a bonus Liam Fox's head would explode.

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

A number of Nissan workers in Sunderland interviewed on Radio 4 news, saying that they voted Leave in protest over the "North-South Divide" Far too much money gets spent in the south compared to the north, so they say. 

I can't quite see how leaving the EU is going to help change that situation, but I can see how they might all be losing their jobs if we leave the EU without some kind of a deal in place.

Totally agree with this, however I think the fact that the majority of the so called "elite" and characters such as Cameron and Osborne were so behind "remain" that it automatically seemed a good idea to vote for the opposite in order to give these characters a "bloody nose" as it were.

The whole dynamic that places like the NE & NW of England were actually benefiting from EU money was completely lost on most and ultimately if your area is suffering from high unemployment and low income jobs then your own Government is the one who will be blamed and if they are pushing the EU as a positive then you may choose to do the opposite and see the EU as a negative whether or not you understand anything about it............

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

It was the same in Wales where they get near to 700m funding from the EU in grants each year but still voted leave. Not a damn chance Westminster are going to throw anywhere near that money extra to make up the short fall. 

Edited by gannonball

4 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

This isn't an accident. You hear f**k all about the workings of the EU on normal news in the UK, because it is largely apathetic about it if not downright hostile. Go and watch the news in any other European country and there is daily in depth coverage of what is going on in the European Parliament. I don't know who my MEP is either, but the parliament he is part of is the reason my employer can't ask me to do a 50 hour week, is the reason I can walk along the beach without it being strewn with untreated sewage, is the reason I can go on the internet on my phone when I'm on holiday for no more money than if I was at home.

And that's the terrifying thing about all this. Lots of people are going about their lives thinking the above and more will continue to be the case, when really the first time there is a tory majority post brexit, you can specifically kiss goodbye to each of those as a thing we have all come to take for granted as there is no moderating influence of a supranational body that draws a lot of its membership from places where they do indeed take the European project much more seriously.

Good post and bang on the money.

This country has always been suspicious and removed from "Europe" and we align ourselves much more with the USA (unfortunately).

As you say, we get little to no news about European countries but are saturated with American crap and I doubt very much if that's by accident rather than design.

7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

1.  Can you differentiate between a Hard Brexit and May’s deal?  If you can’t you shouldn’t post again until you do.  If you can then you will see that there is a significant difference between these two Brexit options.  So yes there is definitely a lack of clarity.

2.  A very detailed White Paper was published before the Independence vote.  It made it clear what people were voting for.  

If a similar level of detail had been presented before Brexit we would not be in the position we are in.

That said it would have been very difficult to publish that level of detail before the negotiations.  That is why, at the time, even leading Brexiteers were arguing the case for two referenda; one on the principle and a later one once the detail was known.

That is just wrong.  The white paper is what the Scottish Government wanted, not what was likely to happen given that the majority of it wasn't solely within their gift.

4 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
15 hours ago, supermik said:

So all Labour and Tory MPs should be standing behind Brexit since that was the manifesto promises of both in the last election.

15 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Totally agree with this, however I think the fact that the majority of the so called "elite" and characters such as Cameron and Osborne were so behind "remain" that it automatically seemed a good idea to vote for the opposite in order to give these characters a "bloody nose" as it were.

The whole dynamic that places like the NE & NW of England were actually benefiting from EU money was completely lost on most and ultimately if your area is suffering from high unemployment and low income jobs then your own Government is the one who will be blamed and if they are pushing the EU as a positive then you may choose to do the opposite and see the EU as a negative whether or not you understand anything about it............

The UK is a net contributor. It has never recieved a penny from the EU. 

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

The UK is a net contributor. It has never recieved a penny from the EU. 

But that isn't strictly true in the context we are discussing, there's hundreds of major projects throughout the poorer / neglected areas of the country which have received major funding from the EDF & ERDF which if the UK purse was being relied upon would never have got off the ground.

We all know that London and the SE is all that matters.

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

But that isn't strictly true in the context we are discussing, there's hundreds of major projects throughout the poorer / neglected areas of the country which have received major funding from the EDF & ERDF which if the UK purse was being relied upon would never have got off the ground.

We all know that London and the SE is all that matters.

Can we just deny the vote to anyone who doesn't know how to spell "received"?