Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

On 24/11/2022 at 10:17, KirkieRR said:

Whenever I see another 'Yup, Brexit is Just as Big a Mistake as We Expected' story, I turn in my imagination to Sirkier 'Make Brexit Work' Starmer and wait for a response.

None yet.

I'll keep you posted.

Don’t hold your breath…

12 hours ago, strichener said:

Here is Brexit progress for you - 

IMG_20221127_070919.thumb.jpg.98da980840adbc9690e0dcffec983f26.jpg

Another Brext lie. Get our blue passports back. It's still black, like it always was. 

20 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Those oven-ready deals already past their best by dates. First Australia, now Japan. 

"The first major free trade agreement signed by Britain after Brexit has been branded a failure after new figures showed exports had fallen since it came into force."

Guardian.

It's hard to tell from a simple fall in exports what impact the deal had. Maybe the fall would have been worse but for the deal. 

This bit of the linked report suggests otherwise:

" In all cases but one, Japanese exports and imports of both goods and services with the UK performed worse than the equivalent flows with the EU or the Rest of the World" 

The exception is goods imports from Japan. Which is bad for balance of payments and Brexit was sold as an export creation scheme. 

Buuut, given that the deal was basically just the EU Japan deal with an extra bit about automotive standards and a paragraph for each of whisky and stilton, it's hard to see how the deal itself could have made much difference. 

I'd suggest an alternative explanation, that the Japanese trade was at least partly trade through the uk to the EU, and it's Brexit itself that has caused the damage. 

Trade deals so far turning out to be duds, economically the country is a mess and it's not all to do with the pandemic, the westminster tories now looking to increase immigration to offset the jobs lost when foreign workers left after Brexit, the hospitality sector on its knees and ongoing strikes escalating throughout the workforce.

All in all it's a fuckin shambles and all thanks to the useless tories.

Then there's the fraud, anybody know how Mone 'lost' £29 million.

It's all going very well, isn't it? 

"A Scottish firm has revealed how it was forced to abandon all trade with Europe after Brexit hammered the “nail into the coffin” of its export business.

Andrew Duff, who runs butchers MacDuff 1890, said it’s now easier to export to Hong Kong than it is to Europe."

(source - https://www.thenational.scot/news/23161092.lanarkshire-business-forced-stop-trade-eu-due-brexit/)

About time too. 

I notice that the first thing Sunak was able to think of when Blackford challenged him to name Brexit benefits was 'taking control of our borders'.

From a forner-hating Tory voter point of view, that really isn't going very well, is it?

In a meeting about Horizon funding. The UK government is aligning to allow the funds to come in but fucking hell, what a shambles. This speaker is talking about the practicalities of what happens if a consortium you are in wins a grant. Essentially you don't count for anything. You have to write letters and fill in forms stepping back from the project, and separately the UK government *should* cover the costs of what you would have won. 

Massive headaches and paperwork. And always, UK partners now officially second class in EU research. 

"freer movement than ever with countries that actually speak English." 

There's been some amount of pish talked about Brexit but Harwood must be near the top of totally nonsensical attempts to make it a "good thing, full of benefits". What a statement that is.