Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

16 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

Think I read somewhere that visitors will be required to provide evidence they have funds of £85 per day for each day of their stay.

As to the veracity of the info I dont know.

That rule has been there for a long time.  It didn't apply to us until we left the EU though (no more freedom of movement).  It also doesn't mean they'll be demanding bank statements from every UK visitor.  If they think you're going to Spain to work they'll start poking around and possibly asking for proof of funds.

Pretty much all countries have border rules like this.  It's certainly something the UK ask "visitors" if we suspect they aren't just coming here as tourists.

Amongst the things to get pissed off about regarding Brexit this one is well down the list and will have almost zero impact on legit UK punters.

7 minutes ago, Left Back said:

If they think you're going to Spain to work they'll start poking around and possibly asking for proof of funds.

Yeah, I think all the teens and 20'somethings who descend on some Costa grot-hole with 20 Euros to their name in the hope of paying for a year-long drinking, shagging, and snorting binge by working for a club or bar might just be the target audience there.

A mate of mine's Dad posted a thing on FB the other day about how Brexit has went badly, and immediately a few of his gammon mates leapt to its defence. Some of the stuff they come out with is staggering. Saying that petrol isn't any cheaper in Europe as they're just back from Spain and (I shit you not) "in their book" 1.89 euros isn't any different from what we're paying.

"In their book" they've got a whole different fucking exchange rate to justify their absolute bollocks.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Actually the prices in Spain are currently in the region of 2.14 euros which is about £1.80.

I've no idea what the prices in Spain currently are, just that one of them was saying it was 1.89 euros which "in their book" isn't any cheaper than what we're paying here.

3 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

Think I read somewhere that visitors will be required to provide evidence they have funds of £85 per day for each day of their stay.

As to the veracity of the info I dont know.

I got properly grilled flying into Amsterdam from Inverness but I think they were just teasing the Brits more than anything. Going around Europe after that was just like pre Brexit though, it's just the first EU country you arrive at who's responsible for all the third country checks. Arrived back at Schipol from Lisbon and was outside the airport with no checks whatsoever. God bless Schengen. 

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Nothing but they’ve now stepped up their game and are offering good terms.

So can I assume that before Brexit, the European suppliers were cheaper, but now they are more expensive. Can I also assume that the terms the UK suppliers are now offering are more expensive than what the European suppliers offered previously?

1 hour ago, Soapy FFC said:

So can I assume that before Brexit, the European suppliers were cheaper, but now they are more expensive. Can I also assume that the terms the UK suppliers are now offering are more expensive than what the European suppliers offered previously?We love to support 

No.

No idea if it’s to do with Brexit or not but we are currently getting excellent service from our UK suppliers with next day delivery even for small orders. This used to be a problem.

European suppliers are fine but it just seems that the UK ones are putting in extra effort which is great. Very pleased to be supporting the home economy. 

9 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I’ll need to look into that as I’m going back to Spain in September.

Been three times this year with no problems whatsoever.

You've got me worried!!

Brilliant. The fella with the biggest hard on for Brexit going to the EU at least 4 times per year to get away from Britain.

You thought about getting an EU passport? Even Farage got a German one to escape the bin fire. 

6 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Brilliant. The fella with the biggest hard on for Brexit going to the EU at least 4 times per year to get away from Britain.

You thought about getting an EU passport? Even Farage got a German one to escape the bin fire. 

Just enjoy the weather.

Stay in the UK during summer.

Its also much more civilised travelling out with the summer rush.

15 hours ago, Gaz said:

I've no idea what the prices in Spain currently are, just that one of them was saying it was 1.89 euros which "in their book" isn't any cheaper than what we're paying here.

€1.89 was what I paid to fill the hire car on Monday.  That was on the coast between Antibe and Nice.  I think it was a couple of cents more expensive as you headed to the mountains (near Fayence for example).

As a word to both Gammons and the more sane of us, don't hire a Renault Captaur.  It's like an alternative reality Tardis, looking much bigger on the outside than it is on the inside.  The number of times I banged my knees on the wheel/dashboard getting in and out of the fvkker!

Edited by aDONisSheep

22 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Daniel Lambert, who supplies M&S, Waitrose and 300 independent retailers, to set up in France after £150,000 hole in revenue.

A British wine wholesaler who last year criticised Brexit as the biggest threat to his business in 30 years has decided to leave the UK after post-Brexit paperwork made a £150,000 hole in revenue.

The story of this can be found below, although his business isn't actually leaving the UK as the article says it is and his tweet is misleading. He's setting up a French entity so he can export to the UK. It's actually quite an informative read. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/26/british-wine-wholesaler-leave-uk-over-post-brexit-paperwork

The approach he's taken is very unusual (I work in International trade and it's not what the vast majority do). His complaint seems to be with his customs brokers, so he's setting up a company in France to do it himself. Fair play to him, but it can be risky if he isn't completely sure what he's doing. Lack of knowledge is why the work is usually delegated to customs brokers. Previously, anyone could just send goods as long as they remembered to send an invoice with them and for medium and large exporters, they had to keep less detailed records of goods shipped and submit them to their national authorities for statistical purposes. 

All of the stuff in the article that needs done at the moment still needs to be done when he does it himself, so the costs he's incurring now will still be incurred. I really hope he knows what he's doing and that he also will save some costs by taking this approach, because if he gets it wrong he's creating trouble for himself. 

His circumstances aside, it is a good illustration of where the problems are. You need to gather the right information to submit your customs declaration, actually make the declaration (buy software and do it your self or pay a broker, vast majority do the latter) and complete the necessary formalities. Alcohol is also a controlled good and as the article says, a lot of companies, including some of the biggies, will not ship alcohol now because of the extra issues it brings. It complicates the arrival route into the UK and, as many alcohol consignments would arrive as part of a mixed load (i.e. with non-controlled products), hauliers will swerve carrying it as the presence of it will cause delays with their other cargo. 

The above is an issue that we are stuck with, not being part of the EU. It is a pain and there is pretty much no way of really getting around it. Joining the Single Market again won't remove the need for a customs declaration (needed for Norway and Switzerland etc.), even if it may reduce some other administrative burdens around standards etc. and agreeing a Customs Union with the EU won't negate the issue either (Turkey still needs a customs declaration). Even becoming part of the EU's Customs Territory would require a declaration as we are not an EU Member State. The data required may be simplified slightly, but you still incur the costs of filing it. 

Many businesses can largely cope with the extra requirements, as annoying as they may be, but there are some for whom it isn't worth the hassle and even outsourcing it isn't great for them either. As I said, there is a lack of practical solutions available to the issues presented. It is a very large downside and I am not seeing gains that mitigate these negative consequences.  

On 27/07/2022 at 10:29, Dawson Park Boy said:

Just enjoy the weather.

Stay in the UK during summer.

Its also much more civilised travelling out with the summer rush.

Probably less of the brexity gammons travelling outwith the summer. 

36 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Ah wow, that’ll show those forreners with their forren muck!