Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I will no doubt get personal criticism for posting this, but here goes.

Polls have shown that there are a fair number of people who voted for Brexit who admitted that it was a mistake.  Same polls suggest that Remain would now win by a comfortable (?)margin.

This is particularly the case amongst Labour voters which really calls into question Starmer’s position on the issue. 

In 2016 a large number of Labour voters were given no guidance from Corbyn on which way to vote and not surprisingly some of them voted Leave.  That is my criticism of him.

Now, Starmer is adopting the same tactic as Blair - "these votes are from people who usually vote Tory - let's not upset them!"  Also frustrating.

3 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Didn't you also recently suggest Granny that what is said before elections and what actually happens afterwards can be different things ?

Yeah I did and I stand by it.  If you’re suggesting Starmer might change Labour’s position following an election then fair enough; personally I think it’s unlikely.

My point is he’s more chance of winning back Labour voters, and would have more credibility, if he took a more positive position on Brexit.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I will no doubt get personal criticism for posting this, but here goes.

Polls have shown that there are a fair number of people who voted for Brexit who admitted that it was a mistake.  Same polls suggest that Remain would now win by a comfortable (?)margin.

This is particularly the case amongst Labour voters which really calls into question Starmer’s position on the issue. 

As a brexiteer you show no shame!

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah I did and I stand by it.  If you’re suggesting Starmer might change Labour’s position following an election then fair enough; personally I think it’s unlikely.

My point is he’s more chance of winning back Labour voters, and would have more credibility, if he took a more positive position on Brexit.

At the moment there are too many people (in England especially) who think any criticism of Brexit is unpatriotic. 

They actually voted for Boris Johnson because he got stuck on a zip line in a Union Jack suit - no guessing what country he is proud to be part of - even if he looked a fool.

Starmer does not need to be more positive.  Just more neutral - "you said Brexit would be brilliant.  Show me." 

Unfortunately he has to pretend it is a great idea.  He also needs to convince people of his sincerity.  Not sure how you do that?

1 minute ago, Fullerene said:

At the moment there are too many people (in England especially) who think any criticism of Brexit is unpatriotic. 

They actually voted for Boris Johnson because he got stuck on a zip line in a Union Jack suit - no guessing what country he is proud to be part of - even if he looked a fool.

Starmer does not need to be more positive.  Just more neutral - "you said Brexit would be brilliant.  Show me." 

Unfortunately he has to pretend it is a great idea.  He also needs to convince people of his sincerity.  Not sure how you do that?

Like I said, the polls suggest that a sufficient number of those Labour voters who previously supported Brexit no longer do so.

In addition there were quite a few more Labour voters in the 2019 GE who voted Remain than voted Leave.

56 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Which Labour voters does he need to win back? I don't think Labour's strategy is sophisticated, but there's no point competing with the Lib Dems on Remainer/Rejoining ground. They'd likely split the vote as in 2019 and let the gammons claim a landslide. Whereas if there was an election tomorrow the Tories could lose 40 seats or more to the Lib Dems just cornering that pro-European/anti-government vote in the southwest and other target areas. 

Starmer's 'strategy' is clearly based on burying Brexit for now to flip enough red wall seats and a handful in the South for a hung parliament/minority government. It might be a piss-poor decision on principle and certainly in terms of statesmanship, but it is actually better calibrated to turfing the Tories out at the next election. 

Edited by vikingTON

8 hours ago, Left Back said:

It's not really incumbent on the French to staff up their border points to meet demand from the UK.  They could have 1 guy there working part time if they wanted to.   How they man their border points is up to them.

The onus was certainly on the gammons to think about the perils of letting the French run a service at their own pace, before insisting on bilateral border and customs checks. Not sure what they thought would happen. 

It's in their interest to facilitate tourists entering their country and having a good experience that makes them want to return though.

The vast majority of visitors to France are either coming from the Schengen zone or flying in from the US or other third party countries. The Channel ports are therefore completely insignificant to France's reputation as a tourist destination but crucial to facilitating the Great Gammon Getaway every July.

Which makes this story absolutely fucking hilarious. 

IMG-20201107-WA0006.jpg.e303aa65b6425f500d4d08c055272915.jpg

Edited by vikingTON

29 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Torries blaming the pesky frogs

Firing up my Spit as I type!....."CHOCS AWAY!"

*Asi said on new tory leader thread.....Ch732...LBC Radio...Nick Abbot....NOW!!!

Edited by TONTROOPER

I'm amazed Nick Abbot is still alive/a thing.

I used to listen to the radio Luxembourg phone-in show back in the day. You've never lived until you've listened to a Norwegian hippy covering Slayer's "Angel of Death" on a xylophone, live, on an AM radio channel at 1am in the morning.

33 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I'm amazed Nick Abbot is still alive/a thing.

I used to listen to the radio Luxembourg phone-in show back in the day. You've never lived until you've listened to a Norwegian hippy covering Slayer's "Angel of Death" on a xylophone, live, on an AM radio channel at 1am in the morning.

You're right....I havent........but on the plus side I saw Hendrix playing a xylophone with his teeth!!!

45 minutes ago, RiG said:

So just to be clear, the people who voted to have a hard border with France are now unhappy that there is a hard border with France?

Boris Becker's big pal, Andrew Castle, saying on LBC that the French need to do much more to speed up the process for Brits entering France and be more welcoming.

"We fought in the war for the likes of them, didn't we"