Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Can these idiots stop conducting government business through a newspaper and also try and calm the rhetoric down.

Threatening to invoke Article 16 is the equivalent of threatening to hold your breath until you turn blue.

17 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

To me this is only one aspect of a far greater issue.  There is no justifiable case for cutting nurse training in the U.K.  We should not be dependent on cheap foreign labour.

On the other hand I have read about British nurses leaving for the US after completing their training.  I’d be sympathetic to asking for a minimum work period here or reimbursement of training costs. 

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

To me this is only one aspect of a far greater issue.  There is no justifiable case for cutting nurse training in the U.K.  We should not be dependent on cheap foreign labour.

On the other hand I have read about British nurses leaving for the US after completing their training.  I’d be sympathetic to asking for a minimum work period here or reimbursement of training costs. 

My former public sector employer put me through a £10k qualification about a year before i left. At least half of the people i knew that did the course also left and went private. I spoke to HR before i left to suggest that there should be some kind of clawback clause (in future, not for me) and they were all like "can you even do that?". Clueless. 

My former public sector employer put me through a £10k qualification about a year before i left. At least half of the people i knew that did the course also left and went private. I spoke to HR before i left to suggest that there should be some kind of clawback clause (in future, not for me) and they were all like "can you even do that?". Clueless. 
I know several PS employees who have had to repay course fees after they left within their contractually specified repayment period. It's been pretty standard practice in LAs for example for decades.

Stewart Leein today's Observer.

Why does anyone even bother fact-checking anything the Brexit government say about the benefits of Brexit? Just save time by assuming everything Johnson and his henchmen say is lies and get on with your day. The rest of the world already has. Ukraine’s clearly exasperated former president Petro Poroshenko stands in combat fatigues in a bombed-out city and asks Johnson not to compare Brexit to his country’s fight against Russia, as if explaining the world to a stupid lying child.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/27/rishi-sunak-is-taking-us-for-mugs-180-smart-mugs

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

It's diabolical that we rely on third world countries to train up our doctors and nurses because we don't want to pay for it ourselves.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's diabolical that we rely on third world countries to train up our doctors and nurses because we don't want to pay for it ourselves.

It’s equally diabolical that we allow ‘imported’ doctors and nurses to be exploited by agencies.  It would probably be easy to introduce legislation to stop it.

29 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

We are also taking skilled resources from other countries, not that many western countries in EU are any different 

https://www.ft.com/content/53636e5d-eaaf-4d45-a3bc-a827d4b551a0?shareType=nongift

Investigating more delays to "taking back control" between this and Northern Ireland we really have done nothing other than shoot ourselves in the feet for Brexit. How long before more people ask;

Is this worth it?

When will it be finished?

Can we reverse it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Derek Twigg, chairman of the Falkland Islands All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG), said there had “been a lot of concern” over the impact of the UK’s exit from the EU on Falkland Islands fishing exports, such as squid.

As parliamentarians mark 40 years since the Falklands War, the MP for Halton said: “Brexit has brought problems for the islands in terms of the fisheries, because their fishery… is a very much large part of their economy, particularly squid, particularly the type of squid they have which is exported to Europe.

“Work is going on with the Falklands government and countries like Spain and the EU to try and ease those challenges around that because it’s such a big exporter.”

His comments were echoed by Falkland Islands government representative to the United Kingdom and Europe Richard Hyslop, who said: “When it comes to Brexit, as things stand, there are no obvious benefits to the Falkland Islands. There are however a number of challenges.

Hyslop said the EU is the main market for the Falkland Islands’ fishery exports, with exports accounting for “more than 50% of our GDP”, and “was an important market for meat exports”.

However since the end of the transition period in January 2021 the Falkland Islands’ exports to the EU have been subject to tariffs, he added, with an average of 42% for meat and between 6% and 18% for fisheries exports.

The “very high tariff” on meat exports has “resulted in the loss of the market as it is just not viable to export to the EU any more” while exports of fishery products to the EU are “now less profitable”.

On 27/03/2022 at 13:58, welshbairn said:

It wasn't particularly forward thinking of the Scottish government to cut the numbers of student nurses 10 years ago.

RCN attacks planned cut in Scottish student nurse places | Nursing Times

For some context around that decision.

At the time there were real worries with SG officials that we were heading into a period of over-supply, and that nurses would be unable to get jobs when they graduate. Also the decision is taken by ministers following advice from the workforce planning group which includes representatives of the NHS boards, NHS Education for Scotland, universities, the RCN, the RCM and others. In hindsight it has clearly been a poor decision but it was one taken with the best of intentions.

Since then the modelling of workforce supply and demand has improved significantly, which has helped improve the decision making. The intake target has been steadily increasing since 2012-13 and in 2022-23 will be a little over 4,800. I've only got figures going back to 2006-07 but before this upward trajectory they highest target that I can find is around 3,300 so the current intake target is around 1,500 higher than that.

Similarly for medical students the intake target in 2022-23 (excluding international students) will be 1,239 and should rise by another 300 over the next three years. Looking back to 2006-07 the next highest that I can find (prior to this series of rises) is 889. An increase of 350 and by the end of the current manifesto commitment an increase of 650.

Edited by Dink

On 20/04/2022 at 10:44, Dink said:

Similarly for medical students the intake target in 2022-23 (excluding international students) will be 1,239 and should rise by another 300 over the next three years. Looking back to 2006-07 the next highest that I can find (prior to this series of rises) is 889. An increase of 350 and by the end of the current manifesto commitment an increase of 650.

SG and NES need to create enough foundation programme jobs for all Scottish medical school graduates though and properly model and fund enough specialty training posts otherwise they will leave. No use in increasing medical school places if there is no proper workforce planning. We're heading to there being another lost tribe of junior doctors like in 2005 with MMC. Doing something towards compensating for the 20% pay cut in the last decade would help as well. There also needs to be pressure put on to Westminster to offer a solution to the pension lifetime allowance saga that has led to the early retirement of a significant number of senior doctors.

7 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

SG and NES need to create enough foundation programme jobs for all Scottish medical school graduates though and properly model and fund enough specialty training posts otherwise they will leave. No use in increasing medical school places if there is no proper workforce planning. We're heading to there being another lost tribe of junior doctors like in 2005 with MMC. Doing something towards compensating for the 20% pay cut in the last decade would help as well. There also needs to be pressure put on to Westminster to offer a solution to the pension lifetime allowance saga that has led to the early retirement of a significant number of senior doctors.

I think that's probably all fair comment and my assumption is that NES are working on increasing foundation places, although I know it isn't easy. Thankfully that's a part of the system I don't have to get involved in - my bit is generally much simpler.