Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Guest Bob Mahelp

As heartbreaking as it is to see, I'm glad that in this tragedy the BBC and others have at least tried to put names and stories to the victims. 

A young family. An intelligent, beautiful young woman denied asylum by the UK, desperate to make a life with her fiance. Each one had a story. 

For too often and too long the right-wing media in the UK have succeeded in de-humanising migrants and refugees. They're just disturbing numbers of people trying to 'get here' for free money. If they are given faces, it's usually those of young men who according to those who influence, are all economic migrants and nothing less.

It's not worth giving them a face, a name, a story. 

Disgusting, and anyone who feels that way....or in fact gives their vote to a political party who use de-humanising tactics to enact racist politics.....should be ashamed of themselves. 

10 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

As heartbreaking as it is to see, I'm glad that in this tragedy the BBC and others have at least tried to put names and stories to the victims. 

A young family. An intelligent, beautiful young woman denied asylum by the UK, desperate to make a life with her fiance. Each one had a story. 

And lest we forget from Iraq. :

"The 2003 invasion of Iraq was the first stage of the Iraq War. ... According to U.S. President George W. Bush and UK Prime Minister Tony Blair, the coalition aimed "to disarm Iraq of weapons of mass destruction, to end Saddam Hussein's support for terrorism, and to free the Iraqi people."

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

For too often and too long the right-wing media in the UK have succeeded in de-humanising migrants and refugees. They're just disturbing numbers of people trying to 'get here' for free money. If they are given faces, it's usually those of young men who according to those who influence, are all economic migrants and nothing less.

It's not worth giving them a face, a name, a story. 

Disgusting, and anyone who feels that way....or in fact gives their vote to a political party who use de-humanising tactics to enact racist politics.....should be ashamed of themselves. 

If I read you correctly, you are advocating a world without borders where people can go anywhere without restriction.

Thats a fair policy to extrapolate but I just don’t think it will have much support. For travellers and holidaymakers it would make life so much easier with no paperwork, passports or vaccinations but I can’t see many folks, left or right, being in favour.

If I read you correctly, you are advocating a world without borders where people can go anywhere without restriction.
Thats a fair policy to extrapolate but I just don’t think it will have much support. For travellers and holidaymakers it would make life so much easier with no paperwork, passports or vaccinations but I can’t see many folks, left or right, being in favour.

There are a fair few academics who have been labled right wing who support Open Borders.

3 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Thats a fair policy to extrapolate but I just don’t think it will have much support.

You say that. UK nats were all over it a few years back.

64B8E604-63D2-474D-A3F9-170D3958DB74.jpeg

D513DCD6-E099-4C3C-BA38-5B6644A39FA1.jpeg

3 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

The thing is though, the WTO/ World Bank try to remove the impact of borders on transfer of goods into poor countries while removing capital controls, under free market ideology. The free movement of labour is part of a free market. Without it welfare gains accrue to some countries and losses to others: no catch up or convergence or trickle down. The right is ideologically inconsistent, some might say hypocritcal, here. 

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

https://www.ft.com/content/3b5059c4-4ef1-44d1-ae1f-43a875efb7ca

Northern Ireland economy has outperformed rest of UK, ONS figures show

Region’s third-quarter GDP only 0.3% below pre-pandemic levels, according to experimental new data

But how? What a mystery!

No doubt that will be the headline in tomorrow's Telegraph and Mail.

:rolleyes:

Goods shipped directly from Ireland to EU up by 50% in six months

Exporters move away from traditional Dublin to Britain routes to avoid Brexit red tape

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/30/goods-shipped-directly-from-ireland-to-eu-up-by-50-in-six-months

Something an independent Scotland could also easily do.

6 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/19751965.committee-finds-priti-patels-controversial-immigration-plans-illegal/

It is 'only' a committee. So I presume that Patel will follow Johnson's lead and simply ignore its findings and plough on. 

It would breach human rights law and is incompatible with International treaties. 

So the obvious solution will be to repeal human rights law and f**k the treaties? 

13 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Goods shipped directly from Ireland to EU up by 50% in six months

Exporters move away from traditional Dublin to Britain routes to avoid Brexit red tape

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/30/goods-shipped-directly-from-ireland-to-eu-up-by-50-in-six-months

Something an independent Scotland could also easily do.

Na mate. Scotland is uniquely incapable of managing its own affairs. We're too poor, too small and too stupid to directly export our goods to the EU. Happy to help. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
10 minutes ago, coprolite said:

It would breach human rights law and is incompatible with International treaties. 

So the obvious solution will be to repeal human rights law and f**k the treaties? 

Pretty much this. 

There's no doubt at all that human rights law has long been in the crosshairs of many Tories. They would love any excuse to start ditching the legislation.