Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Neither government really gives a f**k about these people, but I can't help but think that the situation is being made worse by one side removing themselves from International agreements and sending warships to buzz fishing boats.

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

This has already won the Tories the next election.

They will run on illegal entry = no aslyum and get the same majority they have the now. 

We're going to have to wait till 2025 for that? Hundreds of thousands more are going to be here in that case plus their dependents, all on Jock Tamson and Tommy Atkins. May as well just let them all in and save the legal costs. Could UK take 5-10m more? We absorbed that from the eu.

Edited by Snifter Pee Rot

32 minutes ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

We're going to have to was till 2025 for that? Hundreds of thousands more are going to be here in that case plus their dependents, all on Jock Tamson and Tommy Atkins. May as well just let them all in and save the legal costs. Could UK take 5-10m more? We absorbed that from the eu.

10 million? They kept that quiet. 

40 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

I wonder if the situation was reversed, and for some reason lots of foreign people were wanting to leave from the South Coast of England to go to France, would the UK authorities put a lot of effort into trying to stop them?

Pritti Patel would be arresting anyone trying to stop them. Or worse. 

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

About time they had us PROPER BRITISH-BORN CITIZENS tattooed at birth with the crown from pint glasses IMO.

How else will we know we're special?

But some of the crown numbers are allocated to dUrTy fUrRinERs. How will we be able to tell which ones are PROPER BRITISH!

We should all be tattooed with copies of our proud patriotic blue passports

3 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

But some of the crown numbers are allocated to dUrTy fUrRinERs. How will we be able to tell which ones are PROPER BRITISH!

We should all be tattooed with copies of our proud patriotic blue passports

On our faces, so we all know who to trust.

3 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

I wonder if the situation was reversed, and for some reason lots of foreign people were wanting to leave from the South Coast of England to go to France, would the UK authorities put a lot of effort into trying to stop them?

Probably try to have your citizenship removed and arrest anyone who offers you help if in trouble 

Always good to keep this handy in case someone escapes from the Daily Mail comments section. 

The sad thing is, even though this discussion was over a year ago the same people are still grinding the same "they should claim asylum in the first safe country" myth and we're no closer to a setting up a reasonable system for those people in Calais to claim asylum and have there eligibility assessed efficiently. In the meantime people are still dying trying to get here.

No chance there's any positive movement on this. Any status we have as a pariah on how we treat refugees is only because we're blaming France for not dealing with them. It's all hands on deck when it comes to shoring up the eastern border into Europe. 

Governments will act like the Turks are at the gates of Vienna before they do the right thing and stop letting people drown and die at the border to Fortress Europe.

19 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

No chance there's any positive movement on this. Any status we have as a pariah on how we treat refugees is only because we're blaming France for not dealing with them. It's all hands on deck when it comes to shoring up the eastern border into Europe. 

Governments will act like the Turks are at the gates of Vienna before they do the right thing and stop letting people drown and die at the border to Fortress Europe.

Allowing asylum claims at consulates in their own or neighbouring countries would do something. We're basically saying refuge might be available but only if you're prepared to risk your life in a dinghy, as a cheap way to control the numbers.

Edited by welshbairn

Asylum is a boom industry. It doesn't just pay traffickers, it also pays lawyers, hoteliers, various public service officials including social workers, NHS, police, security services and councils. It's one big payday with zero benefit to the tax payer footing the bill. This is why Albania said GTF to being a third country destination even when being offered a fortune to take them.

Asylum is a boom industry. It doesn't just pay traffickers, it also pays lawyers, hoteliers, various public service officials including social workers, NHS, police, security services and councils. It's one big payday with zero benefit to the tax payer footing the bill. This is why Albania said GTF to being a third country destination even when being offered a fortune to take them.
IMO, this is one of the worst takes I have ever read on P&B and that's a big achievement. "Asylum is a boom industry". But I'm prepared to change my mind. Convince me, show me examples of lawyers who are earning a lot more now represtening asylum applicants than they did representing clients in non-asylum cases previously..