Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

8 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

From a political perspective it’s a bizarre decision for Johnson.  You hate love to see it.

He’ll get his “Boris saves Christmas” headlines in the Express, Mail and Telegraph though, which is all he’ll care about. 

9 hours ago, doulikefish said:

I'm pretty sure these "come over for 3 months but then gtf visas " will have lorry drivers queueing to come back 

I’m glad you posted that as this is what I have been thinking too.
Apparently, mainly due to COVID and new drivers’ tests paused this past 18 months, there’s also a real shortage of drivers in certain areas of mainland Europe (I read Poland is one example), so surely the Warsaw driver who returned home due to Brexit or COVID won’t be rushing to the UK, where the government and 50%+ of the population were glad to see the back of you, for a 3 month temporary pass?

All of the folk asking why HGV drivers would return here just for three months - don't forget the mentality of the people assuming this will happen. They genuinely believe that Britain is such an exceptional place that everybody else would crawl over broken glass just to be here.

Brexit ‘catastrophically wiped out’ decades of family oyster business with Europe

https://eastangliabylines.co.uk/brexit-catastrophically-wiped-out-decades-of-family-oyster-business-with-europe/?fbclid=IwAR0PMVSdGzFQuzIx4lzbfjCg3EHhdqDe2pRwDwWcQaefQ1EhcA9F8geDyto

Tom is the 8th generation of the Haward Family – going back to the 1700s – to cultivate oysters in Mersea. The expansion of the oyster business into Europe abruptly ended on December 31st 2020 thanks to Brexit red tape.

I'm quite shocked that none of the usual suspects on here appears willing to make a case for the famous 'oven-ready deal'.  It's almost as if a realisation is dawning that it won't be the disaster that so many people predicted - it will be so much worse.

One thing we can expect to see, and very quickly, is the panic buying of votes by an increasingly desperate UK Government.  Popcorn time.

20 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm quite shocked that none of the usual suspects on here appears willing to make a case for the famous 'oven-ready deal'.  It's almost as if a realisation is dawning that it won't be the disaster that so many people predicted - it will be so much worse.

One thing we can expect to see, and very quickly, is the panic buying of votes by an increasingly desperate UK Government.  Popcorn time.

People were predicting:

No fruit and veg in the shops

Big rise in unemployment

Collapsing house prices

Grounded flights

A quid more on a bottle of wine

Etc

Are you saying it's going to be much worse than that?

9 hours ago, bendan said:

People were predicting:

Big rise in unemployment

Collapsing house prices

Grounded flights

Etc

9 hours ago, bendan said:

People were predicting:

Big rise in unemployment

Collapsing house prices

Grounded flights

Etc

Yes.

11 hours ago, bendan said:

People were predicting:

Big rise in unemployment

Collapsing house prices

Grounded flights

Etc

No. We're saying it's already much worse than that. And there's no sign of any slowing of our descent into chaos, let alone anything getting better.

Oh, except for blue passports and crown stamps on our pints (not litres, note.)

Collapsing house prices would be an overall benefit, btw.

2 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

No. We're saying it's already much worse than that. And there's no sign of any slowing of our descent into chaos, let alone anything getting better.

Oh, except for blue passports and crown stamps on our pints (not litres, note.)

Collapsing house prices would be an overall benefit, btw.

Collapsing house prices would hurt as many folk as it helped.  Lots of folk hit huge issues with negative equity in times gone by and I’m not talking about rich folk.

Collapsing house prices would hurt as many folk as it helped.  Lots of folk hit huge issues with negative equity in times gone by and I’m not talking about rich folk.

I don't wish anyone (even rich folk) to get into financial difficulty, but if you're making a leveraged investment in an illiquid asset then you should be aware of the risks.