Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

To get back on track though- shortages in fuel. Nae HGV drivers. Gaps in ordinary goods on shelves. Medicines (including MS stuff for myself and Calpol for small children) unavailable. Limited storage for gas, particularly compared to our European "partners" (and prices MUCH higher too). 
Things are great, no?
Sounds like banana republic.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
2 hours ago, speckled tangerine said:
To get back on track though- shortages in fuel. Nae HGV drivers. Gaps in ordinary goods on shelves. Medicines (including MS stuff for myself and Calpol for small children) unavailable. Limited storage for gas, particularly compared to our European "partners" (and prices MUCH higher too). 
Things are great, no?

Straight bananas or bendy ones?

8 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
9 hours ago, speckled tangerine said:
Things are great, no?

Have we plenty of those?

9 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

That’s him punted now, I think. All his posts are gone at any rate.

Massive thanks to whichever mod it was. 

Yikes.  That is less than 24 hours after he joined.

Take note.

Bound to be a question in some P&B trivia quiz in the future.

14 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

I'm pretty sure these "come over for 3 months but then gtf visas " will have lorry drivers queueing to come back 

It’s a crazy decision from the Tories.

Some Leavers will be furious at this perceived climb down.  Other Leavers will recognise that maybe there’s a big downside to leaving.

Remainers will rightly be saying “we told you so” and all for a gesture that is likely to have near zero impact.

From a political perspective it’s a bizarre decision for Johnson.  You hate love to see it.

10 hours ago, speckled tangerine said:

Things are great, no?

Wait until the strike action starts at our ports (and it's imminent) not to mention the financial and social impact when inflation really sets in, coupled with the removal of furlough and the additional UC £20 top up.

As someone who's just returned from mainland Spain this week, I can confirm that the supermarkets and shops are fully stocked, the Bars, Restaurants and Hotels are fully staffed and there's no fuel shortages or queues anywhere. In fact the only queue I encountered was the "Non EU" passport holders at Malaga Airport which is yet another direct impact of Brexit and just another inconvenience to add to the list of serious repercussions.

As you say, great decision !!!

Guest Bob Mahelp

I see that the official UK government line is that the driver shortage is a good thing, because 'British workers' will automatically get paid more. 

Is this true ? Is there any sign that those sectors that pay low wages....hospitality, care, transport etc....have suddenly had an epiphany simply because we've hounded many of their foreign workers out of the country ? 

That's not the impression I get. 

30 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Yikes.  That is less than 24 hours after he joined.

Take note.

Bound to be a question in some P&B trivia quiz in the future.

I'm always a bit suspicious of these folk who join and immediately post on the Politics forum. I would have thought it would be about the last place a newbie would look.

28 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I'm always a bit suspicious of these folk who join and immediately post on the Politics forum. I would have thought it would be about the last place a newbie would look.

They’re probably attracted by the analytic insights of those of us who post on here regularly.

Then again, maybe not…

44 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I see that the official UK government line is that the driver shortage is a good thing, because 'British workers' will automatically get paid more. 

Is this true ? Is there any sign that those sectors that pay low wages....hospitality, care, transport etc....have suddenly had an epiphany simply because we've hounded many of their foreign workers out of the country ? 

Jacob Rees Mogg has increased his butler’s pay by a florin a week.

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

They’re probably attracted by the analytic insights of those of us who post on here regularly.

Then again, maybe not…

You should have stopped after your first sentence.

Then again, maybe not...

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Our local McDonald's is advertising for staff at £9 an hour. That's just over one percent more than the minimum wage.  So they're not breaking the bank to get staff in. 

3 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

And here was me thinking that one of the big drivers (excuse the pun) for Brexit, was to remove ourselves from all these pesky workers rights regulations that the EU provided, so that UK workers' rights could be cut to reduce costs. Inherent in that would be a worsening of terms and conditions.

Edited by Soapy FFC

Anecdotal, but near me plenty of employers have upped their basic wage. You can easily get £10.50 an hour for a housekeeping job when pre-covid it was minimum wage. Positions are still going unfilled though. It'll take a long time for the equilibrium to be found.

1 hour ago, Soapy FFC said:

And here was me thinking that one of the big drivers (excuse the pun) for Brexit, was to remove ourselves from all these pesky workers rights regulations that the EU provided, so that UK workers' rights could be cut to reduce costs. Inherent in that would be a worsening of terms and conditions.

That was one of the Remain arguments against Brexit. Are you suggesting it's not going to happen?

9 minutes ago, bendan said:

That was one of the Remain arguments against Brexit. Are you suggesting it's not going to happen?

I do think that over the medium to long term the bulk of UK workers will be worse off because of Brexit. Over the last 2 or 3 decades I have rarely seen businesses voluntarily improve conditions for workers if it is going to cost them money, and I see nothing to suggest that will change in the next couple of decades. Maybe for some the headline pay might increase, but they will lose out in other ways with regard to rights etc.