Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

49 minutes ago, coprolite said:

If Trump were still in power, Johnson would have signed the entire UK economy, and the NHS, over in exchange for a photo-op in the Oval Office.

Fortunately Biden's administration, while still holding less than acceptable right-wing ideals, realises that there is little or no upside in being associated with this basket-case of a country at the moment. It's not as if the UK offers improved access to Europe, after all. So they're basically humouring Johnson, while quietly back-burnering any proposed deal.

29 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

If Trump were still in power, Johnson would have signed the entire UK economy, and the NHS, over in exchange for a photo-op in the Oval Office.

Fortunately Biden's administration, while still holding less than acceptable right-wing ideals, realises that there is little or no upside in being associated with this basket-case of a country at the moment. It's not as if the UK offers improved access to Europe, after all. So they're basically humouring Johnson, while quietly back-burnering any proposed deal.

I'm just enjoying the slow dawning of realisation from the gammons that the US only ever said they loved us so they could use our island for weapons. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I'm just enjoying the slow dawning of realisation from the gammons that the US only ever said they loved us so they could use our island for weapons. 

You need to be careful, apparently Gammon is now considered an offensive term by Ofcom 🤣

30 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Indeed. Trying to equate the use of terms to describe attitudes and allegiances which have been chosen and are held by choice like, oh, let's say followers of certain football clubs with offensive slurs over innate characteristics is the kind of behaviour you tend to find in, oh, let's say the followers of certain football clubs.

Pathetic behaviour which should be called out wherever it is found, be it gammon, mhanky mob, currant, or whatever. Faux-offended, thin-skinned wee scumbags who try to draw equivalence between "the H-word"* and racial slurs against any minority do nothing but harm the ongoing fight against racism.

"Gammon" is similar. You don't like me calling you that? Well stop being a racist cúnt who thinks empty shelves are the EU's fault and nothing to do with the act of economic self-harm you and your flag-shagging mates toasted down the local 'Spoons.

*Yes, they really are that fucking self-unaware.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Import controls delayed yet again, if it wasn't so serious this would be absolutely hysterical. I wonder what odds you would get that we will never actually complete Brexit.

https://www.thescottishfarmer.co.uk/news/19584665.post-brexit-import-checks-delay-delivers-blow-food-drink-businesses/

As the article highlights, it makes a mockery of the ‘taking control of our borders’ argument that was made so forcibly at the time.

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

As the article highlights, it makes a mockery of the ‘taking control of our borders’ argument that was made so forcibly at the time.

Indeed, but what a delicious irony to see this article appear in The Scottish Farmer.  Over my lifetime there has been no more steadfast Tory-supporting community in Scotland than the farming one.  Just maybe they will have cause to stop and think the next time they come to hammer in their placards into the fields of the nation.

Not so much GIRFUY, as 'weel, ye ken noo...' 

21 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I'm sure any major shortages and disruption to the supply chain in the coming years will occupy the same space in the national psyche that some counties not getting their bins collected in the 70s has been weaponised against every vaguely left of centre Labour Party

Supply chain issues are caused by remoaners griping instead of focusing their energies on making Brexit work. We're just not wishing hard enough. 

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

The thing is, the local fuds I speak to don't see this as important, because "Global Britain" can bestride the World Stage on our own. We don't need US approval anymore, in their eyes.

28 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Exactly the flow of God knows what has had extension after extension without even the most basic coverage in the main stream press. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/five-great-things-we-had-in-the-1970s-that-we-wont-have-in-the-coming-70s-rerun-20210922212312

End of furlough, growing unemployment, huge energy cost increases, a brutal cut in benefits, empty shelves, NHS under impossible pressure as foreign staff leave, higher inflation and price rises. 

I may have forgotten something.

We're heading for a perfect storm of discontent this winter. Not all of it can be laid at the door of the Tories, but there's no doubt at all that Brexit will play a large part in the chaos to come. 

Will the Tories own it ? Will they f**k. And they'll get an easy ride from a right wing press that is complicite in the Brexit shambles. Rising prices ? The EU's fault. Empty shelves ? The EU's fault. 

33 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/five-great-things-we-had-in-the-1970s-that-we-wont-have-in-the-coming-70s-rerun-20210922212312

End of furlough, growing unemployment, huge energy cost increases, a brutal cut in benefits, empty shelves, NHS under impossible pressure as foreign staff leave, higher inflation and price rises. 

I may have forgotten something.

We're heading for a perfect storm of discontent this winter. Not all of it can be laid at the door of the Tories, but there's no doubt at all that Brexit will play a large part in the chaos to come. 

Will the Tories own it ? Will they f**k. And they'll get an easy ride from a right wing press that is complicite in the Brexit shambles. Rising prices ? The EU's fault. Empty shelves ? The EU's fault. 

I understand your cynicism, but there comes a point at which news management and obfuscation cease to cut it and we are now rapidly approaching that situation.  For even the most ardent Brexiteer, when their household budgets are shot thro and life has become a whole lot harder a tipping point emerges.

But it won't be that which will do for Boris Gump, it will be the Men In Grey Suits in his own party - there is no political machine in the UK more ruthless than the Conservative Party.  Getting rid of him won't of course improve anything in itself, but it could be the point at which the British public begins to resent the dominant greed, corruption and market-is-king political philosophy of the last 40 years.  It's just a shame the Labour Party is a craven shambles under Starmer.